Working with fiberglass

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
novacaine
Duck South Addict

Working with fiberglass

Postby novacaine » Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:54 pm

I need some help from the experts or direct me to a how to site for a project. I am wanting to make a 1 man pit blind out of these metal racks that you see used for hauling chemicals. I think they are around 4ftx4ftx 3.5 ft. I want to wrap the whole thing in fiberglass to make it watertight if possible. What size sheets does the fiberglass come in and how expensive are they? How many layers will be needed and how much resin? If the price gets up to around $500 i could just buy one.
Thank you in advance and let the knowledge flow forth.
"You didn't happen to find that on the side of the road did you?"- One Shot
munyoz70
Veteran

Re: Working with fiberglass

Postby munyoz70 » Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:03 pm

why not just leave the plastic container in it as well and just use that?
"Man you don't see them ducks, hand me that gun"- T.K. and Mike
novacaine
Duck South Addict

Postby novacaine » Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:09 pm

munyoz70
Veteran

Postby munyoz70 » Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:20 pm

I would dig your hole, put the tote in it then put some treated plywood around the four sides of the tote then backfill. Those totes hold from 250-330 gallons of over 10lb per gallon chemical... Short of an earthquake I wouldnt think that they would give in
BR549
Duck South Addict

Postby BR549 » Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:31 am

How you plan to anchor it in the ground? They will pop up like a cork! The big ones hold about 250. The frame will hold the dirt back no problem. The problem is getting it to stay in the ground! Zip ties aint gonna hold it!
munyoz70
Veteran

Postby munyoz70 » Fri Dec 25, 2009 8:30 am

He could leave part of the frame on top and that might would hold it it, with either some rebar bent into hooks and spiked into the ground or some 2x4s run thru the pallet part with some length hung out to back fill on. As for containers the standard size is 250 but 330 and even a few 500 are not that uncommon
duckkiller
Duck South Addict

Postby duckkiller » Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:58 pm

water weighs 8.34 lbs/gallon, I can feel pretty comfortable in saying that those "plastic" sides will hold up
Life is to short to only fish on weekends
novacaine
Duck South Addict

Postby novacaine » Fri Dec 25, 2009 1:18 pm

BBR12
Veteran

Postby BBR12 » Fri Dec 25, 2009 5:24 pm

Do a search for boat supplies or fiberglass for boats. It is fairly expensive to do fiberglass. I was just looking at some for a pirogue. The resin runs anywhere from $90 to $150 a gallon and there are all types of fiberglass weaves, mats, etc.. I built a plywood pirogue a few yrs ago and just fiberglassed the seams and open edges of the ply and I think i used about 1/2 a gallon of resin. You may want to think about just putting a wooden frame inside the plastic container for support against the outside pressure. You could also use a outdoor plywood to wrap the frame and then put a layer of fiberglass on it to waterproof it and seal it up tight. I dont think you can do it with just the frame and fiberglass. It would take many layers of fiberglass I would think to make it ridgid enough to stand up which would be expensive. If you do decide to use fiberglass make sure you get the slow setting resin and measure it correctly or you will have a mess on your hands.
HR Reid's Shasta Daisy

aka Choclabs
Scully
Veteran

Postby Scully » Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:06 am

USComposites have the best online prices for glass and resin. If you use the glass over 1/4 plywood it will cut your cost down, but you still may be pushing the 500 mark.
He said" The sheriff is near"
gamehog
Veteran

Postby gamehog » Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:33 am

I've bought fiberglassing products from these folks before and they've always been helpful and provide good advice. You might want to give them a call.

www.raka.com

I'm guessing you'll really need to lay the fiberglass onto something (maybe like thin plywood sides for your blind?).
"If you're gonna shoot the sonofabitch, you better shoot him now."
- Locked Up
novacaine
Duck South Addict

Postby novacaine » Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:23 pm

Thanks guys- I took a closer look at one of the frames yesterday and i think your right- i won't be able to put the glass directly on the frame. I have access to some marine plywood and will probably go that route once i get a good cost estimate on the supplies.
JaMak84
Duck South Addict

Postby JaMak84 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:31 am

Would a 48" corrugated plastic pipe give you enough room for a one man blind? It's already sealed and is rigid enough to hold the presure. You could cut it into 4' sections and all you'd need to do is find a way to put a bottom and top on it. Hell, back in high school my brother and I made a couple out of old waste management garbage cans. Already had a sealed bottom and a flip top cover. Of course I wasn't as wide then and comfort was necessarily a concern, but they worked well for us.
deltadukman: "We may not agree on everything, but we all like t!tties"
MudHog
Duck South Sponsor

Postby MudHog » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:31 am

"I hear they are developing a new fighter specially for fighting in the middle east. It's called the F-U!" - crow, Aug. 2008

Member FLHC

Lane Romero
novacaine
Duck South Addict

Postby novacaine » Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:08 pm

Return to “General Discussion Forum”