Uh Oh...Powerhouse USM headed to Div. II-A ball.. link

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Greenhead22
Duck South Addict

Postby Greenhead22 » Thu Oct 18, 2001 9:54 am

Do the link...And when it happens it is going to be funny as hell.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/2001-10-17-divisionia.htm

[img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/icon_razz.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/icon_razz.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/icon_razz.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/icon_razz.gif[/img]
RN989
Regular

Postby RN989 » Thu Oct 18, 2001 5:50 pm

Gh00,
Hey the real comedy is in MS State and the power house Troy State...That was real comedy in motion..Maybe MSU should voulenteer and take USM's possible place on the down grade to div. AA ball [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
bluwtr
Veteran

Postby bluwtr » Fri Oct 19, 2001 7:33 am

Okay GH22,

Let me S-P-E-L-L it out for you cow lovers. USM only lacks in the number of home games. This means that we are willing to go anywhere and play anywhere against anyone. 7 games on the road vs. 4 at home is a cast-iron-bitch and you know it. When was the last time State went and played in Lincoln or Happy Valley (Nov.3). Like I said in the other post, State is scared to play us!
Greenhead22
Duck South Addict

Postby Greenhead22 » Fri Oct 19, 2001 9:35 am

USM has been breaking that NCAA requirement of having at least 5 home games against Div.I-A for several years now and the NCAA finally decided to do something about it. The athletic dept. was almost broke so they decided to go get the crap kicked out of them by some high ranked teams and get some money. USM saw the money and blatently dismissed NCAA Requirements. And if USM keeps on the attendance is going to drop way low.
bluwtr
Veteran

Postby bluwtr » Fri Oct 19, 2001 10:11 am

GH22, I'm the first to agree that we have had our asses handed to us on a platter by big teams more times than I care to remember, but when you have limited funds, you have to do something. Our fans are about as sunny day as they come. Almost as bad as LSU's. The frats and sororities leave in the 3rd. Actually our attendance has been up the past 2, but if they keep playing like they do, it won't last. I agree we need more home games (we have 5 this year), but again it boils down to $. I would love to see the stadium as full as States or UM (damn lawyers and Dr.'s!). Problem with Southern is all of the damn liberal artsie fartsie types. "Boo hoo hoo, we need a new tuba, blah blah blah". etc. Hopefully things will tighten up now that the NCAA has taken a stand.

By the way, how is Jackie's clown collection?
Greenhead22
Duck South Addict

Postby Greenhead22 » Fri Oct 19, 2001 10:25 am

I think he's got over 500 and still going. When ESPN showed him dressed as a clown they did not tell that he was at a Children's Hospital when that picture was taken. That is straight up, but ESPN was trying to make fun of him.
bluwtr
Veteran

Postby bluwtr » Fri Oct 19, 2001 10:40 am

No really it's okay we understand! [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] Any way, how is our upcoming season looking in the pasteur? I hope the teal season that I had down here on the coast isn't a forcast for me. If it is, it's going to cold and SLOW. I think actually the teal moved through before the season opened. A few people had luck, but overall it was bad.

Wes
sondance
Veteran

Postby sondance » Sun Oct 28, 2001 10:52 pm

Man, people want to dog ole USM. But, if memory serves me Southern has one been to bowls the last 6 or so years. Haven't dodged anyone as far as scheduling and has had NO NCAA violations. Not to mention being one of the top 10 defenses in the nation as well year in and year out. Seems like we beat AL last year and lost to NB by only 7 or so, nothing to hang your head about. Now losing to Troy State (on Homecoming), I'll let that speak for itself. All with a bunch of cast offs from MS, AL, & LA. Sounds like some damn good coaching. USM is way over the attendance requirement 15k been averaging 23k or so 26k yesterday against Houston. AD will fix the number of home games to meet requirements. No worrys. Watch out Nittney Lions this upcoming weekend. [img]images/smiles/icon_cool.gif[/img]
GulfCoast
Duck South Addict

Postby GulfCoast » Mon Oct 29, 2001 7:30 am

Perhaps the attendence has increased this year, but I have NEVER been to a game in Hattiesburg where there were over 15,000 fans.
bluwtr
Veteran

Postby bluwtr » Mon Oct 29, 2001 11:54 am

Way to spell it out for them sondance!!! [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
GC, when was the last game you went to? Granted our attendance has never been great, but 15k has allways been there. Now before Bower came in that may have been a possibility, but with going on 11 winning years, it's kinda hard not to have the min. set by NCAA. You just feeling proud because of Sat. [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Wes
NOTYOURDUCK

Postby NOTYOURDUCK » Mon Oct 29, 2001 1:03 pm

GREENHEAD22 IS RIGHT, SOUTHERN PLAYS THOSE BIG SCHOOLS FOR THE MONEY PERIOD. THEY CAN NOT MAKE ENOUGH MONEY ON HOME GAMES SO THEY PLAY MORE AWAY GAMES TO MAKE UP THE DIFFERENTS. SO, IF YOU SOUTHERN FANS WOULD SUPPORT YOUR TEAM, THAN THIS TOPIC WOULD NOT EXIST.
GulfCoast
Duck South Addict

Postby GulfCoast » Mon Oct 29, 2001 1:32 pm

I have not been in probably, 8 years or so.

Nah, I ain't got the big head. The Rebs are like the cubs. I like it when they win, but I know better than to get emotionally involved. Unlike certain fans of Udder schools on this board [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
JP

Postby JP » Mon Oct 29, 2001 11:17 pm

Didya hear the FBI caught three arab terrorists in the athletic dept. at OSU (Oklahoma State, our version of Auburn) last week?..finally got their names outa them..Bin Cryin'..Bin Whinin'..Bin Losin'...

Return to “General Discussion Forum”