Pistol for truck/ carry

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Cochise

Re: Pistol for truck/ carry

Postby Cochise » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:52 am

My wife has a Taurus PT-111 and I keep a PT-145 "close". Both work well.
pharville
Veteran

Postby pharville » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:15 am

I carry a Ruger .40 good shooting gun and easily put away in a truck..
grnhed
Duck South Addict

Postby grnhed » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:18 am

I carry glock 23, its a little bigger than the 27, but im comfortable with it and its easy enough to hide.

I wouldnt have anything besides a 23 or 27 for all the reason teul mentioned. Good reliable guns!
Smoke68
Duck South Addict

Postby Smoke68 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:18 am

"Well we don't rent pigs and I figure it's better to say it right out front because a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop" -Augustus McRae
augustus_65
Veteran

Postby augustus_65 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:28 am

I keep an older S&W .357 magnum in the space between my seat and console that is easily accessable at a moments notice. It stays in my truck and is out of plain view. It's too large for a carry piece, but is a good truck gun.
chevy01234
Duck South Addict

Postby chevy01234 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:47 am

In my opinion, a .380 is not a truck gun. It is a gut gun. Get something you can actually shoot for a "truck" gun. I have an LCP with CT laser on it, so this is not a caliber war nor a _____ is better than _____ thing.

I do not know too many people who are proficient enough with an LCP/Kel Tec out to more than close quarters (Ie close enough to point and shoot and not using the "sights") to warrant carrying them in a vehicle for protection. If you are not carrying it on your person in a vehicle, a larger pistol is fine. A glock/XD/Revolver tucked between the seats is just as easy to present as an LCP. I am not saying that you should be taking longer shots in defensive situations but a longer sight radius will undoubtedly aide in accuracy. I carry an LCP when I can't carry a bigger gun. I like my LCP alot, it's a good shooting little gun but I will take 10 rounds of .40 SW (Glock 27) over the LCP any day of the week!

.380 is considered the minimum in defensive calibers by all the gun writers/defensive gurus, will it be lethal? Hell yes with the right shot placement anything is lethal. Put something in the truck that you can shoot halfway decent and good capacity in my opinion.

On the other hand if by carrying a small gun, you will slip it into your pocket when otherwise you would leave the "big" gun in the truck, then get the .380! The first rule of winning a gun fight is to have a gun.

Another issue with the .380 is good ammo is hard to find right now for a decent price. If looking for a primary defense gun that is not to be shot much, I would strongly recommend a 9mm, 40sw, or 45acp of some sorts.

A used glock will last forever just like a new one will. A used revolver barring some crazy thing happening will go bang every time the trigger is pulled just like a new one.

My rant for the day
4dawgma
Duck South Addict

Postby 4dawgma » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:11 am

I've got a S&W .45 I'll make you a deal on. It's just like this:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =145696201
Where'd who go?
UndercoverBrother
Regular

Postby UndercoverBrother » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:12 am

I don't think there has even been a finer gun made than the Colt 1911 and variants. I'm a .45 ACP Diehard.

.380 is weak, but it will save your life. If I had a dedicated truck gun, I'd probably go with something in 40 S&W or a 1911.

I'll say this and I'll shut up.......I've got one of those Kel-Tec .380 with the pocket clip. I can wear it jogging. It is what is is......It is a "gut gun". "Bar Room" distance. It's for close combat. I'm not going to try and have a shootout with someone with it. But at 10 yards or less I can pump a clip in a man-sized target fast as I can pull the trigger. Just cover with the back of the gun and fire.

I actually have it on me 50% more of the time I have ever had a 1911 or .38 Snub. They are POS little plastic guns, but I love mine. I can carry in the front pocket of my kaki's and you'd never know I had it. In the summer when I don't have a jacket on.... Put in pocket.

I wouldn't have it as my only gun, but I love it.
Don't be hatin!!!
cwink
Duck South Sponsor

Postby cwink » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:50 am

I have the bersa 380 and like it..
http://safefireshooting.com/
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them"
-George Washington
iron grip
Duck South Addict

Postby iron grip » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:35 pm

I wrestle with myself over the appropriate truck gun also. I split time with a 45 and a 380 which when I think about it, is weird. Total opposite sides of the spectrum with everything physically and ballistically. The only common denominator is the shooter. So with equal reaction time (aggressiveness), and proper shot placement it should be a dead heat. Your almost never going to have a gunfight much beyond contact distance anyway, so even a .22 would suffice. My wife on the other hand has a nine which is as small a round as I would trust for someone that might not hit "the right spot" the first time. Good ammo increases the probability of incapacitating an attacker with a slightly wayward shot, and there's more rounds if needed than your typical 380 or 45 for that matter. Her gun is almost as small and light as the 380, but has more capacity and punch. As for me, the small gun is easy enough to throw in a pocket so I like that and less expensive to replace as well. If I was going through Mexico city or somewhere worried about multiple attackers/ ambush the 45 would be the go to gun, with a carbine close at hand... Hope it doesn't get that bad around here.
At times there is not a satisfactory substitute for well-aimed lead going down range at high velocity.
-Jim Rawles

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us!
quack_a_tack
Duck South Addict

Postby quack_a_tack » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:54 pm

Made a mistake I have a Taurus PT-140 not a Kel-Tec I quoted the wromg post.
Damn, i thought I had that one

Is that buddy of yours tryin to blow that call or make love to it?
duckkiller
Duck South Addict

Postby duckkiller » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:47 pm

Glock 22 w/ CT grips for truck gun, for carry a glock 23 or 27 w/ CT grips.

My next purchase will be a glock 27 and a S&W 500 in that order.
Life is to short to only fish on weekends
Anatidae
Duck South Addict

Postby Anatidae » Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:06 am

I'd recommend a custom Shultz revolver chambered for 45-70 Gov't. I'd also recommend taking a flat file and removing the front ramp sight, because the person who is not easily intimidated by this piece is likely to take it away from you and shove it up your @$$......removing the front sight will make it a much more pleasant experience for you. In addition, I would suggest a 4" barrel.
4dawgma
Duck South Addict

Postby 4dawgma » Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:02 am

:lol:
Where'd who go?
Bonehead
Duck South Addict

Postby Bonehead » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:01 am

I either carry this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jl-ZIo-Wztc