Need advice and opinions

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
claimsadj
Veteran

Need advice and opinions

Postby claimsadj » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:41 am

I need some advice on my pup. He has bi-lateral elbow displaysia, being the worst in his left elbow. It looks like training him to be an all out duck dog is out of the question. What can I train this dog to do that will give him some type of roll. He is 7 mo right now, and still in obedience. I should have his obedience done soon, just a few kinks to work out. The problem is running on land is bad for him, so that eliminates almost any kind of hunting. I tend to think the best thing to do is get him to the point where he can sit in the blind and retrieve some short birds. What do you guys think?
GulfCoast
Duck South Addict

Re: Need advice and opinions

Postby GulfCoast » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:45 am

Did your breeder offer a hip/elbow guarantee?

Sorry to hear about your dog!
So many ducks, so little time....

HRCH (500) UH Ellie Mae MH (2005-2017)
HRCH Tipsy MH
Zsa-Zsa Puppy
claimsadj
Veteran

Postby claimsadj » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:17 am

No, it was a newspaper dog. I didn't pay very much for him, as well as not knowing much about what I was doing when I bought him. If nothing else he can be a couch potatoe, but he seems to have good learning potential. His retrieving drive is increasing as well, so I wish there was something I could do with him.. He gets very bored without training everyday, so I try to keep him occupied that way. I considered surgery with Dr. Milton in Birmingham, but he pretty much talked me out of it. He wanted to see him back in about a month, but there doesn't seem to be any need to go back. He only wanted to do the surgery if it got worse over the course of a month, but it hasn't. Oh well, I'm getting another one around Thanksgiving, and it is coming from good lines with health clearances. Coolwaters Ready X Twin Rivers Grace.
SME
Veteran

Postby SME » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:01 am

Maybe agility? That's still lots of moving around, but a much shorter field.
GulfCoast
Duck South Addict

Postby GulfCoast » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:24 am

I would look at competive OB, or Rally. Very popular with the conformation bunch.
So many ducks, so little time....

HRCH (500) UH Ellie Mae MH (2005-2017)
HRCH Tipsy MH
Zsa-Zsa Puppy
Smoke68
Duck South Addict

Postby Smoke68 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:44 pm

Man, I hate to hear that about your dog. This probably isn't what you want to hear, but if I had a dog not even a year old with serious hip problems, I might consider putting him down. 10-15 years of nothing but a crippled dog isn't any fun for the dog or you. Neuter him at the very least for sure.

I've got a 1 1/2 year old springer that I've put tons of time into. He's my buddy, but I wouldn't want to see him suffer through his entire life, especially if I was planning on getting another dog that he would have to see me leaving with every time I go out hunting. Good luck with your decision.

"Well we don't rent pigs and I figure it's better to say it right out front because a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop" -Augustus McRae

Return to “General Discussion Forum”