So you wanna be a duck hunter....

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
judge jb
Duck South Addict

Postby judge jb » Wed Jun 27, 2001 6:51 am

just read a report by GC about harvest %s.. if the survey is correct, and i figure it is close, then something ought to be done.. i'm sure the flyway council will take a serious look at how detrimental they are to the duck population... outlaw em. OK with me, cut limits,OK with me, end late season hunts and get 60 days back, OK with me.. i'm like a mobile home, i'm self contained . ready to go and do what is right...

judge jb
Po Monkey Lounger
Duck South Addict

Postby Po Monkey Lounger » Wed Jun 27, 2001 7:53 pm

Benny, I never said nor advocated the use of a twirlie as a "good table leveler". I merely pointed out that such was most likely the primary reason for many of you getting so bent out of shape with respect to twirlies.

Apparently, you are the "Johnny Appleseed" of duck groceries, selflessly planting duck food all throughout MS on land you neither own nor lease, without compensation, just for the good of the ducks.(Yeah right). And, by your logic, this makes you the grand poopaah of duck hunting, the most ethical of all hunters, able to judge other duck hunters and determine whether they are "real" duck hunters like you. All hail to Benny, the Duck God.

But, as my Dad always told me, look a little closer at those who shout the loudest -- who protest perhaps a little too much (and with too much vulgarity I might add). I smell a money motive behind all this chest pounding.

I don't duck hunt for money, just the pure enjoyment of the sport and the outdoors. Money would take all the fun out of it, and then I might post vulgar posts laced with venum on message boards against other hunters
in an effort to protect my monetary interests.
baldduck
Veteran

Postby baldduck » Thu Jun 28, 2001 1:38 pm

You know after reading the posts above I can't tell you had thier hat handed to them.

I think it's great to plant, but I don't go around telling everyone, I also don't go around assuming peoples true intentions. Either you like it or you don't. What I don't understand is if you plant and you hunt over it, then it's pretty close to baiting.(Oh Benny I assume don't hunt over all of it but maybe just a little bit) Very similar to food plots versus corn feeders.
Ole Bufflehead unless you hunt your land or public land then you done gone and let money affect you, there ain't no way around it.

As far as Benny's challenge, man you need to wake up. If your true measurment of hunting is being a "seriously deadly predator" then you don't have a clue about the big picture. Why would you even try to prove your better than anyone. Your the only one that knows that and if your that good you shouldn't even want to try and prove it.

Ask yourself this, who gives a rats nuts. You and you alone are responsible for your actions and will have to accept or defend them. I'll say it again what goes around comes around.

My two cents , baldduck
mallardchaser
Duck South Addict

Postby mallardchaser » Thu Jun 28, 2001 2:53 pm

Well said Baldduck..

why start **** ?
Black_Dawg
Veteran

Postby Black_Dawg » Thu Jun 28, 2001 8:40 pm

I was wondering how long it would be before the big **** spoon would start stirring! It's on now. gotta break in the new site before duck season! benny is the duck Doctor.I think ducks should be more scared of goosebruce [img]images/smiles/icon_eek.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/icon_eek.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/icon_eek.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/icon_razz.gif[/img]
MSDuckmen
Duck South Addict

Postby MSDuckmen » Thu Jun 28, 2001 9:03 pm

It is sad that so many people that claim to love the sport want to jab each other over a frecking spinner. [img]images/smiles/icon_confused.gif[/img]

I'm with Benny on this one and I admire his energy and conservation. I would be willing to bet that most of the crew that give him grief have never even planted for ducks.

I don't always agree with the way he presents himself or his opinion (but he!! that is Benny for ya). What if it is about money what if it's not? He is still doing the work even if you think he is blowing his own horn.

People with that much devotion to a sport has a right to voice it anyway he wants.

And as for proveing his hunting prowless, sometimes it takes that to shut the whiners up.

Now if it sounds like I'm taking up for old Benny your right because I agree with him totally. Well except for being the best I reserve that title. [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
Dixie Boy
Veteran

Postby Dixie Boy » Thu Jun 28, 2001 11:52 pm

Yea you were right Bufflehead, the one who hollars the loudest is the won that has to prove himself to everyone everytime he gets the chance!!
I'll take that bet your goina regret I'm the best thats ever been,
Benny raise up your gun and shoot all the ducks you can,
cause hells broke loose in the Delta and the Devil wants you to sin
and if you win you'll get a robo-duck made of gold,
and if you lose the out-of-staters get your sooooooul! [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
baldduck
Veteran

Postby baldduck » Fri Jun 29, 2001 7:32 am

Benny if you are a predator then do you hunt with you hands and mouth like the other predators do in the wild? I don't have to hunt to survive like real predators. If I ever descide to hunt with sticks, stones, my hands and anything that is natural then, yes I would consider myself a predator. You can call yourself a predator to make yourself feel better. But all you really are is some guy with a gun taking wild game for pleasure/sport. I in no way am attacking your thought process only the fact that you have to tell everyone that you are a "predator". You are not. But if you still think you are then read the def. below.

Sportsman: defined as:"1.One who pursues sports, esp. of the field. 2. One who in sports is FAIR and GENEROUS

Predator:"One animal who preys upon another"
Predatory:1."Of, pertaining to , or characterized by, plundering [img]images/smiles/icon_razz.gif[/img]racticing rapine [img]images/smiles/icon_razz.gif[/img]illaging"

Benny, about the big picture, if you plant for the well being of ducks then great. I commend you but if you ever hunt close to the stuff you plant then, what's the difference between you and the people who use twirlies? I hunt for the pleasure of being away from my everyday life. Just me, my dog and if I feel the need a hunting partner. I've read posts about you just going out and watching ducks. Are you still a predator at that point or a bird watcher. At what point to you become a predator. I can tell you I don't care if I shoot anything. That's my time away from the rest of the world.

I dont own a twirlie or ever really plan to use one. My only problem is that you get on here a preach and if and when anyone disagrees you get your feathers ruffled and proceed to show you butt. You've heard the sayings about opinions, it just so happens that yours is bigger than everyone elses.

Duckmen, I agree with you totally except the part about the title. If your the best then why do you have to post on your web page the numbers and totals of all the game you and your buds take. What's the point. Are you bragging or are you just telling the world that your the best? What if I planted for ducks but everything I planted I hunted over? What is the difference between me and some guy using a twirlie?

baldduck
baldduck
Veteran

Postby baldduck » Fri Jun 29, 2001 7:49 am

Benny, you can do better than that. What the hell is the difference between hunting over food plots or piles of corn or with the twirlie. They both bring the wildlife in. As far as the idiot remark, you can do better than that also. Isn't that like kettle/black think. baldduck
baldduck
Veteran

Postby baldduck » Fri Jun 29, 2001 7:56 am

I give up, some of these people just aint never gonna get it, ever...........
What's there to get, you want me to take your opinion and make it my own. Then I'll never get it. I dont think it's right to use a twirlie but I'll never knock someone for using one if I hunt over planted crops or habitat. If you can explain the difference it might make us all understand your view a little better. baldduck
baldduck
Veteran

Postby baldduck » Fri Jun 29, 2001 9:09 am

Benny, let me tell you how I feel about the two:
Robo: Attracts ducks, gives false sense of security, and if left on 24 hours a day would draw ducks to gather all the time

Habitat/Food planting: attracts ducks, give false sense of security when your hunting, provides food

Corn: attracts ducks, gives false sense of security when hunting and provides food

Only difference is the food issue.

What? You talking about my attitude? I never said I dropped corn, nor used a twirlie. In fact the food plots we use for deer we don't even hunt over. We plant all spring, summer, fall and winter for deer. We hunt the trials to and from but not the fields.

With your attitude, comes nothing good for the ducks, nuthin...... Were in my post does my attitude do anything bad for ducks. I only asked you what the difference was between the two. Man I would rather sit in my boat/blind watch to ducks come in and not shoot a one. I do shoot ducks cause they eat good and I love to see my dog do some work. How many times you double dipped, limited in the AM and then again the PM. Don't tell me my attitude sucks cause at one point in time you were probally the biggest outlaw in North MS. I hunt by the laws as well as the rules that I've put on myself. Your a big baby that complains about out of staters, corn, twirlies and anybody who you think owes you something.

If I ever got some money, why would I throw corn out. I'd just hire some grunt to come out and take care of my land, plant, blow up beavers and surf the net. Ohh I'm sorry aren't you one of those grunts? Didn't mean to step on your webbed feet.
Benny, I don't get your attitude.
baldduck
MSDuckmen
Duck South Addict

Postby MSDuckmen » Fri Jun 29, 2001 9:56 am

Baldduck,
Nice Jab there big guy, Lets see why do we post our kills on our web page. UMMM Lets See.

Well it originally started as a club page that went wild. We had such a large following that wanted to know what we were doing that we decided to post it up there for all the club members and guest to see. Now yes we could have just sent them out in an email but what a pain when they can just click and see. We keep exact daily logs at our camp and since our information is requested by the Game and fish each year I thought it would interest others. But I guess that to some they see it in another light.. (So be it)
Now you should notice that most of the site is Mississippi Hunting Related and there is only a small section related to our club and it is interesting to me that you simply focused on our little club section to rouse me about.
I guess our club section could be viewed as bragging if that is what you want to call it.
I'm surely proud of the our crew and their success of 800 plus birds (Without a Spinner) and yes we feed no less than 10 times that many. Now with that said I guess you noticed that I have Spinner ads on my Page. (Money Talks) But guess what!
It doesn’t talk that loud and after the results of this last survey I will be removing them July 1.

A person has to stand for something, Benny whole heartily stands against twirlies and I plan on being there with him. It is a losing battle but I have never backed up from a good fight when I feel it is important to something I care a great deal about.

View me as you like --- No skin off my back
BrianB
Veteran

Postby BrianB » Fri Jun 29, 2001 10:29 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>
Robo: Attracts ducks, gives false sense of security, and if left on 24 hours a day would draw ducks to gather all the time
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'm sorry, but that is some of the most flawed logic I have come across in quite some time. I mean really, the folks on the springer show possess more reason with why bubba and sue and john boy do what they do.

But for half a second, let's think about this from another perspective. The study clearly shows that the spinners cause an increased mortality when used. Period. This is not limited to use on flooded ag crops or resting areas and so forth. There is added mortality and then consumption of a resource. It is not about leveling any field. This argument gets even worse when you consider the situation of a spinner in a "baited area" or close to one. It would still result in an increase mortality. Also, if hunting near an area that is habitat but not hunted is an advantage equal to the spinner, than why are spinners used in public areas that are adjacent to refuges. Its not about personal opinions or ethics or anything, the cold hard numbers point to increased mortality, and that will be addressed at some point by USFWS. They tend to be overly cautious, in my humble opinion at least, so when they see that spinners increase mortality by 2.5x, they will compensate by taking that same factor away from us, whether it is from our season length or from our bag. Which incidently, would make a 60 day season become 24 days, a 51 day season become 20 days, or a 6 duck limit become 2.4 however that fraction would be worked out.

I'm not trying to attach anyone here, but just pointing out what I perceive as some misguided reasoning.
baldduck
Veteran

Postby baldduck » Fri Jun 29, 2001 10:53 am

Duckmen, it wasn't an attack or jab. Was just responding to your post. No offense intended. I hope my comment wouldn't cause you to remove that information.

I just don't understand someone getting jumped on for opposing someone else's view.

Duckmen you are great contributor to this site and I enjoy your comments and advise.

BrianB, I agree with you and my comments were focused on maybe letting Benny see the light. Again, I will not use or ever hunt with a robo but hope that people would see some of the similarities to hunting over planted crops. As far as I'm concerned it wouldn't hurt my feelings to drop the limit.

baldduck
Po Monkey Lounger
Duck South Addict

Postby Po Monkey Lounger » Fri Jun 29, 2001 3:14 pm

I think the dialogue in this thread really demonstrates my point. If you want the twirlie banned (BTW, I have , no problem with this), the best, most logical argument, is that it could result in an overall harvest increase, which could result in limit and season length adjustments made by the feds. But, the argument that it provides an "unfair" advantage and/or is "unethical" just does not hold water, especially in light of the practice of legal baiting, which provides an at least equal, if not greater advantage than the moto. In fact, almost any duck hunting practice produces "additive mortality" -- ie use of any decoy, use of duck calls, etc. Since these type of aids are more traditional, they are accepted universally. The only difference in these devices and the moto is that they have been around longer and are accepted in the duck hunting culture (with the artificial decoys substituted for the live ones, of course). As to whether the moto is really more effective than use of regular decoys and good calling, it probably depends upon the skills of the hunter.

Make your arguments logical and based upon facts, not emotion and vulgarity, and people might just see it your way. But don't give me this "I am more ethical than you crap" to justify your position. It is not logical and it smells of hypocrisy.

As for Benny Boy, who stand in ostentatious defiance of rules, intoxicated with animosity, but adored by rednecks exasperated by years of ineptitude, whose incoherent, vulgar mutterings ring with luxuriant amplification, it ain't noth'in for me to whoop a man's a##. Just how big a boy are ya??

Return to “General Discussion Forum”