Unspoken rules

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Dukelane
Regular

Re: Unspoken rules

Postby Dukelane » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:12 pm

When going by a small to medium style twig that comes across the face or chest, hold it for the guy behind you or warn him of the possible whiplash smack to the face.
msdeltadawg
Veteran

Postby msdeltadawg » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:48 pm

1.My boat, we hunt my way.
2.Don't offer advice if none is asked for.
3.Don't bring your call in my boat if you haven't learned to blow it, it took me 20 years to get pretty good, you aren't, after you just pulled your first one out of the box.
4.If I say we leave the bank at said time be there 30 minutes early or get left at the bank.
5.If my rules aren't to your liking, buy your own boat, decoys, etc. and go enjoy yourself without me.
MSDawg870
Duck South Addict

Postby MSDawg870 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:02 pm

Limit your gadgets brought to the blind to a gun and some shells.

If you frequently have a morning gas issue please request a seat at the downwind side of the boat and/or blind.
southernvaughan
Duck South Addict

Postby southernvaughan » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:29 pm

if you get to the slough or break late be quiet and stealthy coming in.
rebels19

Postby rebels19 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:29 pm

I think it goes with out saying that common sense and courtesy are the main aspects of being a guest or invitee on a hunt. Everything mentioned in this thread goes along with those two things. If you invite me to your house, that means I follow the rules you have in place, and I'm damn sure not going to try and force my ways on you even I think you may be a little out of place in your ways. If you were invited for a specific reason other than to come and enjoy a hunt with friends more often than not you would be made privy to that before hand, whether it is your calling ability or your dog or whatever. Otherwise you should take a back seat and enjoy the outing for what it is, a chance for you to enjoy the outdoors and the company you are with and maybe even a chance to learn something from the people you are with. Most of my hunting is done guiding other people so I am used to accommodating peoples different desires for their hunt, but it seems to never fail that if I am invited somewhere I always find someone else that has been invited that thinks his way is the best or just has to be outspoken about his "way" of doing things and you spend all morning listening to said person bellyache about how the hunting should be done or what is being done wrong. If you want to be in charge or have a hunt be set up to be the way you want it, you should buy into a club and if you don't like carrying decoys then pay for a guided hunt. Bottom line if you're a guest, you are probably very fortunate to have that opportunity, and it is not something to be squandered especially if you want to be invited back.
jwz4
Veteran

Postby jwz4 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:05 am

pntailhntr
Duck South Addict

Postby pntailhntr » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:33 pm

MY boat, MY dog!! If you just HAVE to bring yours, DO NOT bich when MY dog retrieves YOUR duck when he sees it hit the water!! He's in HIS BOAT, he knows what HIS JOB is.

If I say 4 you better be ready at 3:45, cause I promise, I'll be early!!!

PLEASE leave your calls in the truck or better yet, at home, unless I've heard you call and tell you to bring them!!

If the hunting is bad and I invited you and we both shoot at the only duck that passes by, It's ALWAYS MY BIRD!!, My hole, My boat, better be my bird!!! :oops: :lol: :lol:

SHR Pntailhntr's Last One Standing (Champ)
jwz4
Veteran

Postby jwz4 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:25 am

Anatidae
Duck South Addict

Postby Anatidae » Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:22 pm

Shoot your own ducks - let others shoot theirs
Keep-up with your own limit
Stay in your own shooting lane

'Sometimes hard to keep-up with in the heat of the moment even if you've hunted together a good bit. Everyone slips-up now and then (myself included), but it's something to strive for. It makes better hunts and hunting partners if everyone shows genuine consideration for others. Communication is important.......not just verbal. Nobody's perfect - if you enjoy each other's company and have a similar approach to duck hunting, then occassional infractions are quickly forgotten (except when your hunting partner that day is your wife). :mrgreen:

Return to “General Discussion Forum”