Help - Training Group in SW TN

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
T2D2
Regular

Help - Training Group in SW TN

Postby T2D2 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:49 am

This is long...if your going to complain about my book of a post...please don't waste your time reading...Thanks, Tim

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Proud owner of a reckless, 15 mth old BLM. He was sent to a trainer from the site for a little over a month last year (about 9 mths old) and came back having made vast improvements on obedience. Since getting him back, I have attended Milner's Retriever/Gundog Training Seminar, tried different methods of (non e-collar) training, and given him some quality observation experience throughout last waterfowl season. However, I am beginning to feel like I am in a rut in training. Since season ended, we had to take a step back to obedience and attempt to really drive it home, and haven't made it much further. He's border line out of control. I am having a hard time at this point with going from kennel to heel after getting home in the afternoon. I have a hard time even taking him out to air without him being on a leash as he found the neighbors dogs and runs off to see them disregarding all commands, much less taking him out to the field. He is retrieving fairly well, but I cannot do much past a few fun bumpers as the past 4 months of obedience don't leave me assured that he won't run off.

This has frustrated me to no end, and I cannot figure out how to solve these obedience problems, much less move on to anything else. He is now 15 months old, I think e-collar is a MUST, and I fear he will not be ready for hunting season, yet again. I am a rookie trainer and brand new to e-collar. Therefore, my question for you, MSDuckers is two-fold:

First, any trainer recommendations in the Somerville, TN area?

Second, my wife and I welcomed our first child into our family the second week of May. I am extremely hesitant to send my dog "off" to training as I do not want him away from home and acclimating to life with the baby. He stays inside most of the time, and his ability to coexist with my 2 week old girl is much more important that his hunting performance if I had to choose. Therefore, I was wondering if anyone could recommend any local training groups that could teach/help me learn dog training? Any pro trainers conduct customized programs? Could I come and see them weekly/bi-weekly/monthly and have an evaluation of sorts, then them send me home with something particular to work on along with training methods? Again, I would be more than willing to pay for this service.

Any and all help appreciated. Thanks in advance.
cdwyer
Duck South Addict

Re: Help - Training Group in SW TN

Postby cdwyer » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:18 am

Jimmy McMann of Sur-Shot kennels is out that direction

Also Mike Cox

Either of these guys would be good choices and clsoe to home. Plenty of training groups within a short drive. You would be more than welcome to trian with me and whoever else is around on the weekends. I am in Senatobia.

901-569-8176
HRCH Circle J's Honey May MH
HRCH Berger Lake Rowdy SH
GRHRCH UH Gammon's Third Times A Charm MH QAA
Cat Squirrel
Veteran

Postby Cat Squirrel » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:57 am

Isn't Tammy Cook just across the line into Mississippi? She's one of my favorite trainers up that way.
I've trained with her and her dogs looked nice.
GRHRCH UH Maya and Guinness***
GulfCoast
Duck South Addict

Postby GulfCoast » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:02 pm

I think Tammy is about to be, or is, on her way to Montana for the summer months. She is a great trainer!
So many ducks, so little time....

HRCH (500) UH Ellie Mae MH (2005-2017)
HRCH Tipsy MH
Zsa-Zsa Puppy
flyntwt
Veteran

Postby flyntwt » Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:27 pm

Jimmy McMann with SurShot. PM me if interested and I will dig up his contact information. Highly recommended.
T2D2
Regular

Postby T2D2 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:51 pm

Thanks for the replies so far...keep `em coming.

Also, I am familiar with Jimmy McMahan as he trained my dog's mother and father, and will likely go with him or Bo Brewer if I decide to send my dog away for training. Thanks again for the recs and referrals. Just hoping to get some additional recs on trainers and training groups in the area. Also, see if anyone had experienced a 'customized' program or if they even exist.
flyntwt
Veteran

Postby flyntwt » Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:55 pm

who is your dog out of?
T2D2
Regular

Postby T2D2 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:49 am

Last edited by T2D2 on Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
flyntwt
Veteran

Postby flyntwt » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:23 pm

Your pup might be a littermate to Troublesome's Falsely Accused? your dog is about 2 years old?
T2D2
Regular

Postby T2D2 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:08 pm

Not quite...Whelped Leap Day, Feb. 29 2008

Grandfather is Backwater's Rowdy Surprise MH
Grandmother is Trizie's Troublesome Twos JH
Cat Squirrel
Veteran

Postby Cat Squirrel » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:17 pm

T2...
The customary way to refer to a puppy's parents is like this : father (stud) is "by" and mother (dam) is "out of"

So, for example....my present puppy Guinness is "by" Roux and "out of" Maya (abbreviated Roux x Maya) stud is always first

:wink:
GRHRCH UH Maya and Guinness***
T2D2
Regular

Postby T2D2 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:45 am

Anybody had or heard of training experience with Chris Christopher and Wolf River Retrievers in Mason, TN? If so, please shoot me a PM...thanks.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”