obedience questions

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
DeltaCotton12
Duck South Addict

obedience questions

Postby DeltaCotton12 » Sun May 31, 2009 8:20 pm

If you read the gundog much you probably have seen my post of my 5 month female chocolate lab Bella. A few have seen her run a few marks but mostly she's with me and fun bumpers. She marks well, has a great desire to retrieve, and when she gets a duck in her mouth she wants it for herself aka she's not afraid of feathers.

Now my questions.we are in the early stages of hold, and doing well but I feel her obedience could be better. I don't want to get ahead of myself. I've read over and over that your obedience is the platform and building block for your whole training.

1. Once I get her CC'd, and using the collar correctly, will her obedience sharpen?

2. Is she just too young to really have great obedience?

3. What are some drills you've used for obedience?

I'm using fowl dawgs as my program.
S Turn 2
Veteran

Re: obedience questions

Postby S Turn 2 » Sun May 31, 2009 10:43 pm

Man I am definately not a pro here, but I will tell you. The collar, is a tool. That's what is meant for. Your pup needs to be obedient at all times. She is young, so that is one of your problems there. You got make sure she enjoys being a pup.
Just from experience and being told this over and over by people way above my level, you can't go wrong with your basic obedience drills. They are the standard and foundation.

Sit, Come, Heal, Stay. Repetition is the mother of learning.

Other than that, I will tell you , it would be a great help to get with a local training group and start working the pup(socializing) with the other handlers and their hounds. The HRC is a great way to get out and get to know dog people.

To find anyone training is your neck of the woods, all you got to do is post up. There are training groups just about anywhere you could be.

Anyway, thats about the help I am able to give. I'm sure you will get much ,ore and better help after my post. :wink:

SOMETHINGS IN LIFE TAKE DOGS, FOR THOSE WITH THE HIGHEST STANDARDS- MAKE IT A LAB!!!!
B3
Duck South Addict

Postby B3 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:48 am

I would want obedience very solid before CC or force fetch. Obedience is under-rated and usually the area glossed over too much by first time trainers IMO. Get with a pro or experienced amateur to help guide you.

Bill
franny131
Veteran

Postby franny131 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:59 am

I'm no trainer either, long way from it, but shes' pretty young, the only pup I took to a trainer was over six months old. She's probably cutting teeth right now, and the mouth can hurt with bumper at 5 mo. at least that's been my experience. I throw a bumper just for fun only for my dogs. There are pro's on here that can give you more advice I'm sure.
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." - Unknown
SkippyJ
Duck South Addict

Postby SkippyJ » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:11 am

GulfCoast
Duck South Addict

Postby GulfCoast » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:52 am

A man with a huge e-collar transmitter named "Mr. Farmer" told me a few months ago "If you have any question if your basics or your OB is good enough......" ouch, QUIT, leave me alone..... :lol:
So many ducks, so little time....

HRCH (500) UH Ellie Mae MH (2005-2017)
HRCH Tipsy MH
Zsa-Zsa Puppy
augie

Postby augie » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:34 pm

I have been training labs for 16 years, 10 as a pro and i will say the collar training is actually an extension of obedience training and, if done correctly, will sharpen the obedience. I will say that 5 months might be a bit young to worry about CC. i would give it a couple months and keep working her on obedience concepts before i get to the collar.
If your not hunting with a trained dog, your just walking around.
Sprig Kennels
Damn_It_Boy
Duck South Addict

Postby Damn_It_Boy » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:15 pm

Return to “General Discussion Forum”