Tick removal

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Bercy
Veteran

Tick removal

Postby Bercy » Tue Aug 19, 2003 2:01 pm

Bourbon
Duck South Addict

Postby Bourbon » Tue Aug 19, 2003 2:33 pm

Bustin' Ducks
Duck South Addict

Postby Bustin' Ducks » Tue Aug 19, 2003 3:17 pm

I may go to Heaven, or I may go to hell....But one thing is for certain..It'll be after Duck season!!
Bourbon
Duck South Addict

Postby Bourbon » Tue Aug 19, 2003 3:35 pm

spoonie
Regular

Postby spoonie » Tue Aug 19, 2003 4:02 pm

who keeps puttin pink ribbons in his hair

who said that i said that SPOONIE!!!!
mississippi_duc_htr
Veteran
Location: On the wrong damn side of the state for sure for duck hunting!!!!, HATLEY,MS

Postby mississippi_duc_htr » Tue Aug 19, 2003 4:10 pm

"You can either shoot on the next pass or watch me do it." Winchester rules hehehehe .......Amen
Anatidae
Duck South Addict

Postby Anatidae » Tue Aug 19, 2003 5:23 pm

'Depends entirely on what part of your body it's attached too........i.e., if it's in a place you can't see.......'don't reckon I'd wanna see how good my aim is with the tip of a hot match :shock: .....'close' don't quite cut-it.......ya know what I mean? :?

Leave the thang on there until shampoo takes affect? :roll: Yeah, RIGHT!! Look........when there's one on yo 'thang', the last thing you want is for that sucker to dig a hole to China........he's comin'-off, RIGHT NOW!!

Ya'll ever had to inspect yourself with a magnifying glass, tryin' to find the really microscopic ones? (I'm talkin' 'bout ticks, 'Travis') 'Talk about feel silly........wanna make sure nobody EVER sees you doin' that!
Delta Duck
Duck South Addict

Postby Delta Duck » Tue Aug 19, 2003 7:41 pm

Mississipp, glad to here that your son came out of it fine.

You could just leave it on until it gets the size of a butterbean then they will come off easy. :lol:

I'll never forget a couple of years ago my baby girl came running to me yelling daddy, daddy. Mama dog has a bean growing out of her head.
Sure was a big fat tick the size of a marble right in the middle of her head. :lol:
"Ducks on the Brain"
It's always better with a good dog and good friends, Ducks and no Terrorist!
http://www.DeltaDucks.com
BSO

Postby BSO » Tue Aug 19, 2003 7:52 pm

This is from the American Lyme disease society web page. :

If you DO find a tick attached to your skin, there is no need to panic. Not all ticks are infected, and studies of infected deer ticks have shown that they begin transmitting Lyme disease an average of 36 to 48 hours after attachment. Therefore, your chances of contracting LD are greatly reduced if you remove a tick within the first 24 hours. Remember, too, that the majority of early Lyme disease cases are easily treated and cured.

To remove a tick, follow these steps:

Using a pair of pointed precision* tweezers, grasp the tick by the head or mouthparts right where they enter the skin. DO NOT grasp the tick by the body.
Without jerking, pull firmly and steadily directly outward. DO NOT twist the tick out or apply petroleum jelly, a hot match, alcohol or any other irritant to the tick in an attempt to get it to back out. These methods can backfire and even increase the chances of the tick transmitting the disease.
Place the tick in a vial or jar of alcohol to kill it.
Clean the bite wound with disinfectant.

*Keep in mind that certain types of fine-pointed tweezers, especially those that are etched, or rasped, at the tips, may not be effective in removing nymphal deer ticks. Choose unrasped fine-pointed tweezers whose tips align tightly when pressed firmly together.

Then, monitor the site of the bite for the appearance of a rash beginning 3 to 30 days after the bite. At the same time, learn about the other early symptoms of Lyme disease and watch to see if they appear in about the same timeframe. If a rash or other early symptoms develop, see a physician immediately.
judge jb
Duck South Addict

Postby judge jb » Wed Aug 20, 2003 6:13 pm

take your drivers license or a credit card and with heavy even pressure scrape against his head and remove him this way...... apply heavy pressure to the skin..... seen this on TV last spring and have had a chance or two to try it..... has worked so far.....

judge jb

Return to “General Discussion Forum”