Questions about new puppy.

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Bababooey
Veteran

Questions about new puppy.

Postby Bababooey » Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:22 pm

Guys, I just got home with a new puppy for my parents that recently lost their 14 year old to kidney failure. It has been 11 years since I went through the puppy stage and even longer for them and I need a few questions answered.

They want to crate train their new puppy (to help with housebreaking the pup and for the pup to sleep and stay in the crate while they are out. They have the kennel but have a few questions that I don't know or don't remember the answers to. Pup will be an inside dog.

1. Do they start the pup off in the kennel the first night?

2. They are planning on pulling up the water around 8:00 in the evening and trying to get pup to do her business before going in the
crate. Do they leave her in the crate all night?

3. Is an 8 week old puppy capable of holding it's bladder and crap the entire night?

4. Any other info I need to pass along to them about the crate training.

I know the dog will squeal and they know to go pop the door and say HUSH or QUIET. They have read in different places online and in books that the 1st night the pup should not be crated that it should start the 2nd night. I don't really understand the point of not crating the first night and letting pup get used to being in the kennel.

Thanks in advance for the help.
LastFrontierLabs
Veteran

Re: Questions about new puppy.

Postby LastFrontierLabs » Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:47 pm

DeltaCotton12
Duck South Addict

Postby DeltaCotton12 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:13 pm

Congrats to the new pup. My pup is 16 weeks old now. I went through everything you just asked. I'll tell you what I learned.

I had my girl in a kennel the day she got home. He kennel was my bedside table for the first 2 weeks. She would sleep for 2-4 hours at a time and would wake up. I would take her out each time she woke and she would do her duty and go back in the kennel. She would cry for a little bit but I would pop the kennel and say hush. Honestly it can get frustrating but just hang in there. After about 2 weeks she was sleeping through the night. Her bladder isn't large enough to hold it all night. She will let you know when she can hold it. Just remember when she's out of the crate in the day to take her out about ever 20 minutes. Good luck
Bababooey
Veteran

Postby Bababooey » Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:55 pm

DeltaCotton12
Duck South Addict

Postby DeltaCotton12 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:02 pm

Looking back, it was really a breeze caring for my young pup. She was my first dog of my own, not a family dog, and I just really enjoyed watching her grow. I will say my patients has really grown. A yelping 6 week old pup can really get irritating at 3am.

They grow and learn very fast. I don't know if Bella was an exception to the rule but by 9-10 weeks she was sleeping well and starting to become very playful. One thing we did practice was putting her in the kennel multiple times through out the day while she was high on energy and making her stay quiet for 2-3 minutes before we'd let her out. This really helped when company came over. We could put her up and she knew if she made noise she wasn't coming out. I still practice this today. Just reinforcing a quiet dog in the kennel.

Good luck and please feel free to ask questions. Post pictures!

Dcb12

Return to “General Discussion Forum”