Anxious for Saturday

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
MudHog
Duck South Sponsor

Anxious for Saturday

Postby MudHog » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:37 am

Got invited to my first skeet shoot and it's this Saturday. Being told it's 16 stations total and our group shoots at 11. All I have to bring is my shotgun and safety equipment. Shells and fees are pair for. I'll probably be there around 9ish to check it out. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Any tips or pointers from those that have shot before?
"I hear they are developing a new fighter specially for fighting in the middle east. It's called the F-U!" - crow, Aug. 2008

Member FLHC

Lane Romero
Doc & Nash
Duck South Addict

Re: Anxious for Saturday

Postby Doc & Nash » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:44 am

Don't Miss.....
Conservation is number one to all true outdoorsmen

Trey Edwards
UH HRCH Nashs' Legend MH RIP 8/11/02- 10/12/12
The yet to be named Chocolate Dawg
MudHog
Duck South Sponsor

Postby MudHog » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:47 am

I'm being our group won't be the group to bring home the gold, even if I shoot good. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: We will be a 4 man group and I think only 1 guy in the group is a frequent shooter.

I'll probably borrow my dads 1100 and bring it out there instead of bringing the old 870.
"I hear they are developing a new fighter specially for fighting in the middle east. It's called the F-U!" - crow, Aug. 2008

Member FLHC

Lane Romero
Bababooey
Veteran

Postby Bababooey » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:16 am

Where is the shoot?
blgros1
Duck South Addict

Postby blgros1 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:55 am

"I don't know what it is bout this time of year, don't know if my lip is to short or my toof is to long, but poooooo my lips is chap chap" poo poo brousard
Redhead
Duck South Addict

Postby Redhead » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:05 pm

Your not going to learn it all between now and Saturday! Don't event try... What you can do to shoot a "Better" score is this.

1) Relax and Have fun, when you miss a target forgetabout it! and break the next one.

2) Pay attention to where the targets are going and try to "Landscape" the targts, By Landscape I mean pick a tree limb or bush or something where you can first see the target and focus your eyes on this exact spot to help you find the target faster.

3) On true pairs as soon as you break the first bird move your eyes (As quickly as possible) to the second bird. your gun will follow.... it's always eyes first then the gun.

4) Go ahead and get the gun either almost mounted or pre-mounted to make sure a poor gun mount doesn't cost you a target. there is no rule against pre-mounting the gun. Most top shooters do it that way for this very reason. I pre mount the gun, then drop my shoulder and raise my head to see the target and then just come up with the gun and down with your head as you aquire the target.

5) Don't keep score! don't look at the score! don't ask what others score is! At the end your score will be higher if you don't keep track and worry about it. (I know its impossible but just try it)

6) Look at the Target! Look at the Target! Look at the Target! if you miss more than likely you were not looking at the target.

7) Have Fun and a word of caution this sport is very addictive!
Shoot em on Three... 1 ... 2... Boom
MudHog
Duck South Sponsor

Postby MudHog » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:06 pm

It's in Lafayette, LA out by Teurlings High School.

Did some looking on the net and it's the 2nd Annual JonCade Thomas Memorial Shoot. Part of the Louisiana Sporting Clays Association. According to the flyer, it's $100 per shooter entry fee.
Last edited by MudHog on Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Member FLHC

Lane Romero
MudHog
Duck South Sponsor

Postby MudHog » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:09 pm

Thanks Redhead. Not trying to be a pro between now and Saturday and this is actually something I've been wanting to be invited to for a long time now. My nanny's husband is big into this, but I've never been able to go with him. Aside from the thrower in the pasture, I'm :mrgreen: to finally be able to go. This is kind of why I'm likely going to be there 2 hours or so before we shoot to walk around and take pictures.

Member FLHC

Lane Romero
grnheadhuntr
Duck South Addict

Postby grnheadhuntr » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:25 pm

Shoot what you are more comfortable with. I've seen guys shoot Kreighoff"s(sp?) etc and not been able to break as many birds as a guy who was shooting a pump that he has shot for 15 years.

The biggest thing is to relax and have fun. Just think about it as if you were out in the pasture shooting with your buddies.
If the birds are flying great, but if not, enjoy the time; at least you're not at work.
crow
Duck South Addict

Postby crow » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:33 pm

Cheek tight on the stock and your eyes on the rock. Don't aim. Think it, see it, shoot it! (Zen and the art of Sporting Clays...I think I'll write a book)
cwink
Duck South Sponsor

Postby cwink » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:41 pm

Dont be the first one to shoot in your group. But stand behing them so you can get an idea of the path of the target
http://safefireshooting.com/
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them"
-George Washington
MudHog
Duck South Sponsor

Postby MudHog » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:10 pm

I've decided to take my old trusty 870. Haven't shot my dads 1100 in a long time and not sure how it reacts to low brass. Want to remember last time we shot out in the pasture it didn't want to eject the shells. I know my 870 will eject them though and I know I'm comfortable shooting it. The monsoon that was supposed to show up today stayed away. Still showing rain Thursday into Friday and I probably could have started on my deck this weekend, but won't chance a wet yard and will go shooting instead. :wink:

Member FLHC

Lane Romero
JDgator
Duck South Addict

Postby JDgator » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:47 pm

MudHog
Duck South Sponsor

Postby MudHog » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:09 am

Member FLHC

Lane Romero
blgros1
Duck South Addict

Postby blgros1 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:26 am

"I don't know what it is bout this time of year, don't know if my lip is to short or my toof is to long, but poooooo my lips is chap chap" poo poo brousard

Return to “General Discussion Forum”