Xtrema II shooting 1' to the left at 20 yds

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
SwampMan
Veteran

Xtrema II shooting 1' to the left at 20 yds

Postby SwampMan » Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:58 am

I know I have read something on this in the past but I can't find it. I missed a turkey at 20 yds last year and couldn't figure out why. Patterned the gun yesterday and saw where it was shooting about 1' left on every shot. Buddy shot it and the same thing happened to him, so its not just me. Anybody had the same results? What's the remedy besides sending it back to Beretta? It does it with the factory full choke and the Jellyhead. Never had a problem shooting ducks or doves just turkeys.
Bababooey
Veteran

Re: Xtrema II shooting 1' to the left at 20 yds

Postby Bababooey » Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:05 am

One hole foot to the right? That is way off. I am not even sure I understand how that could happen. I think it is probably going to need to head back to beretta.

A couple of things I am sure you have thought about.

1. The sight on the top of the gun could be off. I know I knocked mine off duck hunting this year.

2. have you tried shooting a slug and seeing where that ends up? That would be the most accurate way to see how far you are off.

Could the threads for the choke be cross-threaded from faulty manufacturing? Have you gotten your barrel extremely hot? It would have to be super hot to have warped it.

I know with my SBE II, it came with several shims that allow you to change the angle of the butt of the gun. Have you installed these? Even if you have, as long as you are looking straight down the barrel it should still shoot straight.

I don't know but you got me curious.
hntrpat1
Duck South Addict

Postby hntrpat1 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:58 am

Choke is not true in gun or bent barrel. Ber. and Ben. have had problems in the past with this.
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:10 pm

You probably need to change the shims for different cast?
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
Blackduck
Duck South Addict

Postby Blackduck » Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:51 pm

Is it possible for the barrel and action to not be flush? Sounds like a gunsmith problem.
No, i don't want to know you ---- teul

Matt S
Veteran

Postby Matt S » Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:11 pm

with the jellyhead and rhino .665 mine shoot a foot low and left. with the carlson .683 it is just a little low. called rhino they said the tighter chokes show the imperfections in the barrel. i put a scope on mine.
SwampMan
Veteran

Postby SwampMan » Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:49 pm

The gun probably has around 1.5 cases of shells through it since I bought it new, so I don't think I got it hot enough to warp it. Choke is threaded properly, just removed the factory choke and put in jellyhead. Haven't tried the shims yet, but don't really see how that can help. I'm thinking of calling Beretta and seeing what they suggest. I have never had a problem shooting skeet or ducks, just with tighter chokes.
Bababooey
Veteran

Postby Bababooey » Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:02 pm

BR549
Duck South Addict

Postby BR549 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:28 pm

So will a laser if you have a dealer close by that has one. What you are describing though is not that uncommon. Most folks don't notice it till they do put something in it real tight like that. Check your bore alignment first but if it's off just take it to a gunsmith and let him bend the barrel back straight. It's not that big of a deal. All the shim adjustments in the world won't correct a bore alignment problem.
Bankermane
Duck South Addict

Postby Bankermane » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:07 am

Its typical of the Extremas. Google - Xtrema, Low, left
"Being white ain't all its cracked up to be"

"Fighting on the internet is like competing in the Special Olympics...Even if you win, you're still retarded"...
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:07 am

Y'all are sure quick to suspect the barrel is bent.

If he's a right handed shooter, with the wrong shim in place, I believe that will affect his point of impact/point of aim. Particularly when not shooting from a bench rest. If the gun doesn't fit, how could anyone expect it to shoot where he's pointing?

While pattern testing the gun, did you take considerable amount of time, and use a bench rest just like you would when sighting in a rifle? Or did you pattern test while standing free hand?

If you want to at least try to verify if you've got the correct shim in place look on page 69 of the Beretta manual. http://www.berettaservices.com/Moduli/C ... nglese.pdf

While doing this, you may notice that you can also change the drop adjustment. If your point of impact is not shooting high or low, I wouldn't worry with changing the number. Just verify that the "SX" "DX" markings are correct, depending on it you are a right or left handed shooter.

Good luck and hopefully your barrel is not bent.
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
Whackem GDean

Postby Whackem GDean » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:08 am

Put a Speed Bead on it, and have at it.. They are SWEET...
Bankermane
Duck South Addict

Postby Bankermane » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:13 am

Shotgunworld is down temporarily but they have had several discussions on the low left problem. Xtremas pattern spot on with light field loads. The hotter the load the more the guns pattern moves left. The Xtrema I was worse than the 2s. Some of the 1's had chokes that were put in at a slight angle.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=35052&p=312725&hilit=xtrema+left#p312725

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/ ... 77453.html
Last edited by Bankermane on Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Being white ain't all its cracked up to be"

"Fighting on the internet is like competing in the Special Olympics...Even if you win, you're still retarded"...
Doc & Nash
Duck South Addict

Postby Doc & Nash » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:13 am

Conservation is number one to all true outdoorsmen

Trey Edwards
UH HRCH Nashs' Legend MH RIP 8/11/02- 10/12/12
The yet to be named Chocolate Dawg
GulfCoast
Duck South Addict

Postby GulfCoast » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:14 am

There were some X1's that had the choke tube relief section bored a little off center. In other words, they installed the choke tube threads crooked. Beretta usually took care of them, from what little I recall. Like Bankermang posted, the net is legion with discussions of this issue. I was not aware it had shown up on the XII.
So many ducks, so little time....

HRCH (500) UH Ellie Mae MH (2005-2017)
HRCH Tipsy MH
Zsa-Zsa Puppy

Return to “General Discussion Forum”