Big Blind Question

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
chopper30
Duck South Addict

Big Blind Question

Postby chopper30 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:51 am

I've got a question for some of you guys (RR2, waterfowler, et all). My dad is getting old and lazy and is wanting to build another blind or two on our place. I don't like them and would rather stay mobile, but I didn't pay for the place and must make the best of the situation. I've always seen these blinds on turn rows or in the middle of fields that look horrible! They are huge and there is no way ducks come into them. But I've come to realize some of these actually work. I've heard talks of blinds the size of double wides sitting in the middle of fields killing 1000 and 2000 birds out of them every year, so I've realized there is an art to how you brush/blend it in so the ducks don't mind it. I'm not talking about pulling a skid blind in the middle of a field and putting cane around it like the guys around our place and shooting teal and shovelors :roll: :roll: . Some of you guys that have hunted out of these monster blinds that consistantly kill birds, reply back and tell me some things you've picked up from them. Do they work early and not late? Secrets to blending them in? etc etc and pictures would be very welcome. If he's going to build another blind, I want to do it right and not use redneck logic from his buddies that couldn't kill ducks at the peabody. If we do it, I'd really like to do it out in the middle of the field where the birds would rather land anyway. Would like to be able to shoot out of both sides... Thanks in advance.
Double R 2
Duck South Addict

Re: Big Blind Question

Postby Double R 2 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:53 am

Pitblinds.
Ramsey Russell's GetDucks.com® It's duck season somewhere. Full-service, full-time agency specializing in world-wide wingshooting and trophy bird hunts. Toll free 1-866-438-3897. Visit our website to view 100s of client testimonials, 1000s of photos.
olemissduckhunter
Duck South Addict

Postby olemissduckhunter » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:57 am

Sink a container like the kind you see on trains and such. They come in all sizes and make rather large comfortable pits. Top off with a kitchen and bam your done
Pete Hotard

"T.J, Do you enjoy your manhood being called into question every five minutes?" -Teul2
waterbug
Duck South Addict
Location: Brandon, MS --- which is the 3rd ring of Saturn right next to Uranus

Postby waterbug » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:59 am

Best ones I have hunted out of where either in or under a large tree.... especially cypress with moss hanging down.....
Greenwing's Red Dawn *** - Storm
Baby Blue's Gale Force Wind *** - Gale
HR McGuffee's Shadow Maximus - Max
duckhunterdoc
Veteran

Postby duckhunterdoc » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:06 am

gotta agree..middle of the field, pit blind-----leave as much natural veg aroung it as poss. and maybe an area of vegitation on each side 20-30 yards away so the blind is not the only clump of grass in the middle of the field....newer, low profile(45 ' angle) sled blind- maybe, but would need even more Natural veg. to hide it....club i used to be in in Ark. had an 11 man blind...killed ducks almost everyday....it was on a turn row but sunk in to the side of the turn row...when you stood on the turn row(almost a levee) the blind was only knee to waist high above the levee----lot of natural veg around it and brushed up with the same
Jelly
Duck South Addict

Postby Jelly » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:08 am

What we've done in the past is dig a pit about knee deep (it looks like a mini pit) Sit on the ground with your legs (from the knee down) in the pit. Build a blind a few ft off the ground to keep it low profile using the natural vegetation. When the ducks get close, it's very esay to stand up and at that point you are above the blind and makes for easy shooting. Doesn't cost much, just a little elbow grease. We did that in Ark on teh edge of a bean field with little to no cover where we built it and shot the heck out of them. Hope this makes sense.. if not, holla
Why is my mouth so dry this morning, when I drank so much last night?
Trip
Duck South Addict

Postby Trip » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:11 am

I've hunted out of a few that some buddies of mine are leasing now. One of the blinds shoots about 15 across the front, has a seperate room with stove, table, and a sectional couch. That same blind also has a room which used to hole two bunk beds. You could walk up the stairway to the roof to bust geese and that would put you about 20' up in the air. The new big blind puts you 15 or 20' up and will shoot about 15 from three sides. He used cooler panels to build a big insulated room which has or had a stove and couch in it.

BPT can probably post some pics.
Josh Lantrip
GET-N-RITE
Duck South Addict

Postby GET-N-RITE » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:14 am

I think it depends on your surroundings. I have a concert pit that is the sheet but I also hunt out of blinds in the river and in fields. I have brushed blinds with corn stalks which looked good but it took a lot of time and a lot of wire but most of the time I brush my blinds with oak and lots of it.

I can't post any pics but let me know your email and I will send you a pic of my river blind.
H20fowlkiller
Duck South Addict

Postby H20fowlkiller » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:15 am

chopper30
Duck South Addict

Postby chopper30 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:17 am

If I build one in the middle of the field, I'm going to do it where the ducks land, which is in very center with no land around it and water fluctuating all year. Don't know if a pit will work, and if it does, you'll have to make a mound out there and i don't know if I like that idea either. I'm not as much worried about ideas on blinds around the outside of the field. Got plenty of those and kill ducks out of them. The problem is, on cloudy days, we don't do squat! They don't want to land anywher near the edge of 200 acres of water. It ain't concealment, teul2 and chevy hunted with us one day when it was cloudy, we were in layout blinds brushed up like no tomorrow and under a levee where our silouete wouldn't be seen and still couldn't make them land within 70 yards of the edge. On sunny days, they'll land withing 10 yards of the levee. We killed over 600 bird on that field this year and can't kill them in the clouds. That means we hammer them when the sun is out. If I can figure out a way to kill them when it's cloudy, it's on... Guys close to us did the container idea, but don't have much luck with it. I think some of them are on here and can clarify if they've ever had luck out of it. They mostly deer hunt out of it now.

wayneblack30@yahoo.com
BPT
Veteran

Postby BPT » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:57 am

I can get you some pics of the one Trip was talking about this weekend. You're probably gonna laugh because
its about as big as a dam barn. You can get on the roof of it and be about 40 feet in the air. Plenty of time to
shoot,reload,shoot,reload,shoot :shock: . Its not in the middle of the field but if it was it would look like a island.
It hasnt really been hunted enough to tell you how the ducks react because I normally just throw out a layout blind
down a ways from it.
jwarwick
Veteran

Postby jwarwick » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:21 pm

A pit won't work unless you can regulate the water level to some degree.
You can (if the farmer is agreeable) push up an island with a dozer or dirt pan way out in the middle of the water.
Make it a gradual slope so it can look natural, and shape it any way you want. Plant some good cover crop on it... corn, sorghum sudan grass, willow trees, johnson grass even. Then you can have the convenience of hunting on dry ground. Build a short blind structure that can be shot out of on a couple of sides and brush it up good.
If you like it, push up a couple more islands the next year too for some more hunting options.
Buy a good piece of ground and put your heart into it.
Gumbo
Veteran

Postby Gumbo » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:09 pm

we have had good success with pits that are long and narrow. I mean real long and real narrow...if they are hid right they will look like a small levee top or a rise in a field...you will have to custom fabricate these. If you can get natural grass vegetatiion to root around these they are death times 2....
He's comin' back around...
chopper30
Duck South Addict

Postby chopper30 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:34 am

pics???
RNAIL
Veteran

Postby RNAIL » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:22 pm

Go on delta duck's web site and look at the Bull Pen he build, that thing is awesome and huge. It works for killing ducks.
I'm Retired, leave me alone

Return to “General Discussion Forum”