A Difference in Style....Which Philosophy do you subscribe ?

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
dhunter2
Regular

A Difference in Style....Which Philosophy do you subscribe ?

Postby dhunter2 » Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:36 pm

I'd like to get some opinions on two different philosophies of a morning duck hunt. We have a small impoundment with good food and are blessed when we have sufficient water. At times we can have a good number of ducks. I love to just sit and watch the ducks pitching, calling, and cutting up almost as much as shooting . At times I hate to shoot and mess up the show. Anyway, I know everyone has experienced that occasional morning where all the birds seem to show up at the same time. You look up and there are birds up pitching, cupped up everywhere. This is where the difference in philosophy comes in. I have learned over the years if this happens I like to let all the birds settle in and land, get set-in and comfy. Then I'll do something to subtly bump the birds and get them up. Not shooting or making a loud noise, just something to get them up. I have felt if YOU shot into a group of 500 you weren't going to kill but 1 or 2 anyway, but you would definitely scare those 500 ducks which probably would not come back. Most of the time the birds will come back , and not all at the same time and usually in smaller bunches. However, I've got friends that I hunt with that think I'm crazy to pass up the ducks, they feel you should take 'em when you get 'em. I could understand this if we were hunting public...because you need to take advantage of every opportunity. Which way do you subscribe to? Thanks, nj
gamehog
Veteran

Re: A Difference in Style....Which Philosophy do you subscribe ?

Postby gamehog » Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:53 pm

I'm a fan of the "gentle flush" method you are following. Normally they will come back in smaller, workable groups and you don't educate as many birds.
"If you're gonna shoot the sonofabitch, you better shoot him now."
- Locked Up
novacaine
Duck South Addict

Postby novacaine » Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:43 pm

"You didn't happen to find that on the side of the road did you?"- One Shot
ducman77
Duck South Addict

Postby ducman77 » Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:57 pm

You could have killed 3 or 4 and they birds would have still came back in same groups.....
shoot'm in the lips
Jeff
Duck South Addict

Postby Jeff » Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:35 am

There is a very old book out by Van Campen Hillener sp? I have read it several times. In it he states never shoot at a flock of birds bigger than six as this will run the birds out of the area.

Seems like you and he agree!
dhunter2
Regular

Postby dhunter2 » Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:45 am

Thanks guys for the thoughts....sounds like most subscribe to the same way that I feel. Like I say.....I see a difference if you're hunting public instead of private. I hunt public also...and are less likely to be as quick to run them all off. Usually, if they have been using a spot for awhile with good feed, some are most likely to return. nj
hdforester
Veteran

Postby hdforester » Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:31 pm

I have learned over the years if this happens I like to let all the birds settle in and land, get set-in and comfy. Then I'll do something to subtly bump the birds and get them up.

And what years would those be? I still think you are nuts. You have yet to prove this works. There are so many variables involved, you can not say without a doubt they are going to come back in small groups or even come back at all. Let's say the next "hole" over also has food and water and no hunters. Why would they simply not spend the morning there instead? When they all leave, where are they going to go? Just fly around in circling pattern? More than likely somewhere to get shot at and "educated" by someone else. Ducks can pick up and leave at any time with weather being a big contributor. Seems like many on this forum have experienced this over the last few weeks- limits one day, nothing the next. So regardless of public or private, I think you need to enjoy it when they are here because there's no guarantee they will be here tomorrow. Love your reply that most feel like you do - 2 out of 3 is hardly a rousing endorsement. :D
cwink
Duck South Sponsor

Postby cwink » Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:52 am

Been in a hunt like that once.. I shot em when they put thier landing gear down..
http://safefireshooting.com/
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them"
-George Washington
BR549
Duck South Addict

Postby BR549 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:51 am

mudsucker
Duck South Addict

Postby mudsucker » Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:52 am

Shoot 'em all. God will send more!
Long Live the Black Democrat!
GEAUX LSU!
WHO DAT!
DO,DU AND DW!
DUCK-HUNT
Duck South Addict

Postby DUCK-HUNT » Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:12 pm

I love to work and land big bunches of ducks but I also like to shoot into big bunches of ducks to see how much :mrgreen: green :mrgreen: we can get out of it.... SHOOT :!:
Get em WET!............Their feet that is.
rbsdrake
Duck South Sponsor

Postby rbsdrake » Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:43 pm

i say bust the he!! out of em
dhunter2
Regular

Postby dhunter2 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:27 pm

Thanks for the comments guys....I guess sometimes it's sure hard pass on a bunch of birds. I guess it's the "old bird in the hand " being worth more than one in the buttonbush. Just not a big thing to me to let one get away ....another will probably be coming along before long....or by the next cup of coffee.
hdforester
Veteran

Postby hdforester » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:37 am

RockBottom
Veteran

Postby RockBottom » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:24 pm

If i were hunting in a bountifull area full of ducks and had been shooting my limit for the last couple hunts then i would use this kinder gentler..... gentleman style of hunting...but as for the way my season has been going so far.......Iam gonna bust that @ss when they are cupped up and coming in.... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Surely the longer a man duck hunts the wealthier he becomes in experience,in reminiscence,in love of nature,if he goes out with the harvest of a quiet eye,free from the plague of himself

https://www.ducks.org/support/ind/?id=324

Return to “General Discussion Forum”