Askew

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
theHammer
Regular

Askew

Postby theHammer » Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:39 pm

Does someone have a good/logical reason yall can come up with as to why they have all of those nicely graded, gravel roads ALL over Askew and we have to walk in? I walked damn near a mile this morning to get skunked and almost drown......Is anyone as pissed as i am about the gates being closed or should i just bend over and buy a huffy?
---Triples are better---
duckdr1970
Veteran

Re: Askew

Postby duckdr1970 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:46 pm

I quit hunting there when they put the gate in. I think you should at least be able to use a four wheeler to get to and from the hunting spots. The other option is to have the ranger wait at the gate and only allow the first ten or fifteen trucks in and then close the gate and only allow a certain number in each day. Kinda like a first come first serve or even a daily draw hunt, then open the gates to the winners.
"I'm throwing rocks tonight. Mark it, Dude"
tunica
Duck South Addict

Postby tunica » Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:09 am

reason why the roads are nice and graded and level....They stopped ppl from driving in.
H20 Fowl
Duck South Addict

Postby H20 Fowl » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:35 am

I hope they never open the gates. Closing them is the best thing to ever happen to askew..
Doc & Nash
Duck South Addict

Postby Doc & Nash » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:08 pm

Conservation is number one to all true outdoorsmen

Trey Edwards
UH HRCH Nashs' Legend MH RIP 8/11/02- 10/12/12
The yet to be named Chocolate Dawg
tprice aka cowboy
Veteran

Postby tprice aka cowboy » Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:36 pm

trey i hunted askew for about 4 years till they gated it off. the roads were never ruined why i was hunting it. it has to do with politics down there, corp or something. first they stopped flooding the timber where we hunted. said there was mold problem or somethin like that. then they quit flooding a couple of fields we hunted. rumor was there was a new guy headding it up down there and the deer hunters had his ear. then it just went down from there. man i miss that place. that back pond to the right looked like something nash buckingham would right about. it was a great place , it was just first come first serve. been there more than once at 3 just to get my fav spot.
Stano
Veteran

Postby Stano » Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:39 pm

Ya i never saw the roads bad ethier.... couple older guys hunted with us there they cant make the hike now I think its $#!+ too
mdc153
Regular

Postby mdc153 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:00 pm

It would be nice to drive in there, but it also cuts out on some of the competition. I guess everything has a positive and a negative.
"People should not fear their government. The government should fear its people."
theHammer
Regular

Postby theHammer » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:58 am

i mean yeh it would create the opportunity for a lot more people to hunt it. But for us stubborn people, that hike is killer! Them deer hunters have PLENTY of public land to run around on, and we have to scramble around to look for timber! Guess life just isn't fair, so why should duck hunting? If they do keep the gates closed, they should at least build a bridge so we can get across the ditch in a couple of areas..............comment about the mold. What is that all about?
---Triples are better---
tprice aka cowboy
Veteran

Postby tprice aka cowboy » Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:41 pm

if you know the pon d back in the very back. well cypress hole would be more accurate. we use to hunt it with a boat, and walk in around it on a couple beaver dams. they use to flood the timber back there before the season. showed up a couple weeks before opening day to scout and it was still dry. put a couple calls in to find out if pumps were broke or what was up. was told they were going to have to leave that area dry for a while cause there was mold or fungus on the trees. the following year it was still dry. whole new group of deer hunters moved into my duck hole. in fact found a lock on adjacent to fallen oak tree we use to set up at. i ended up hunting just down the road at sara between the pond and ditch,the ditch was the border of askew. a couple of locals built a blind on the pond which is illegal so wardens were in there all the time busting anyone hunting it, and messing up the hunting there so i eventually gave up on askew. man i sure miss that place
dukhunter
Veteran

Postby dukhunter » Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:56 pm

I've hunted askew for 15 years and never seen the road in any condition other than perfect. I will agree that closing the gates helped the hunthing (when they turn the pumps on) but I do wish they had put the gate in a more central location, but ya cant expect anything to get done right once DU got its fingers tied up in it. It is still one of my favorite placed to hunt just a little more work than it use to be..........
H20 Fowl
Duck South Addict

Postby H20 Fowl » Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:57 pm

Yea I will say the hunting down there is aweful now...
tprice aka cowboy
Veteran

Postby tprice aka cowboy » Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:07 pm

dukhunter you ever hike all the way back to the cypress hole...the one where u turn right i think at the fenced in area and all the way to the end of the road.
dukhunter
Veteran

Postby dukhunter » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:43 pm

If your talking about past the gates right at the equip shed and then left on duck pond road. nope never been there..... :) use to be great hunting in there back when they pumped it........
hntrpat1
Duck South Addict

Postby hntrpat1 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:00 pm

Sounds like its time to get a bike like them hippies.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”