444 Missfire Gun or Ammo?

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
huntingup1
Regular

444 Missfire Gun or Ammo?

Postby huntingup1 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:00 pm

Just courious if any of you or any of your buddies have had any problems with the Hornady LeverEvolution in the 444 Marlin. I bought a new Handi Rifle and ammo last week and have had several of the rounds not fire. Not sure if it is the gun or the ammo. Firing pin is hitting the primer but it isn't putting a huge dent in it. Not sure if this is how they normally look. Been told that if you use only a hull with a primer that it only puts a small dent in it.
GLH
Veteran

Re: 444 Missfire Gun or Ammo?

Postby GLH » Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:06 pm

I have read on line - somewhere - that the use of a hammer extension causes this to happen sometimes. You might remove it - if you use one - and retry those shells.
MSDawg870
Duck South Addict

Postby MSDawg870 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:33 pm

Might be a weak hammer spring(if its the gun), kinda like light strikes you find with pistols.

5 of us were shooting targets this evening just to confirm zero's and nobody had any misfires, some were shooting Hornady's and some were shooting Remington's. All of them had hammer spurs.

Best case scenerio it was the shells but I doubt you would have had several duds out of one box, so that makes me feel like something is out of whack with you hammer.
DUCKAHOLIC
Duck South Addict

Postby DUCKAHOLIC » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:16 am

Hammer spring the pin is not hitting the primer hard enough to set it off
Life's too damned complicated to make it too damned complicated
BR549
Duck South Addict

Postby BR549 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:35 pm

It's probably full of cosmolene and will not let the pin move like it should. all new guns should be cleaned thouroghly before use. a lot of dealers don't do this. Take your reciever end and wash it out thoroughly with as hot a water as you can get. Spary it with a penetrant of some sort and wash it some more then dry and oil it lightly. Should work just fine. There is a recall on Remi's in the 444 caliber but i don't know what lot numbers.
outlaw josey wales
Veteran

Postby outlaw josey wales » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:50 pm

many people having problems out of them. it has been found that they arent closing the rifles hard enough especially loading in stand and trying to be quiet. make sure you are using enough force to close gun all the way
craziehunter
Veteran

Postby craziehunter » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:09 am

I had the same problem with mine. Now that i know someone else has had this problem, I say its the ammo.
Needing a ride to the duck hole

-Evin
donia
Duck South Addict

Postby donia » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:36 pm

http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php/ ... 574.0.html
http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php/ ... 197.0.html

there's lots of info here about accurizing handi-rifles, and almost every brand of rifle.
huntingup1
Regular

Postby huntingup1 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:16 pm

Not sure what my problem was. If I squeezed the trigger it would never shoot but if I snatched it, it shot every time. Anyhow I called Hadads and Jimmy did right by me and swapped the rifle out for another one. New one shoots fine. So far it's ten shots for ten shells using the same ammo as before. Keeping my fingers crossed though.
Jelly
Duck South Addict

Postby Jelly » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:11 pm

talked to a guy from the coast this weekend and it happened to him. The bullet that didn't fire appeared to have to primer counter sunk just slightly causing the problem. If you compared it to the others, it looks counter sunk for sure..
Why is my mouth so dry this morning, when I drank so much last night?
BR549
Duck South Addict

Postby BR549 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:55 pm

There is a problem with the new ones made after Remington bought them out. Seems the spring is not strong enough to support the hammer with an extension on it to one side. They have a new type hammer extension that is balanced, (sticks out the same on both sides) seems to be curing the problem for now. Not saying it's a cure all but it just seems to be helping the problem

Return to “General Discussion Forum”