South Delta Pursuit

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
missed mallards
Duck South Addict

South Delta Pursuit

Postby missed mallards » Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:37 pm

Me and a buddy took part in hunting what some call the “Hunter’s Paradise.”

Story is way to long for a post I think somewhere around 15 or so pages LOL some would call it a small book, so I’ll sum it up best of my abilities. I ain't no photographer, so don't expect much. I just liked them.
Start of weekend

Camp: hadn’t been inhabited in a few years. Severed well for our “camp” and we had a blast. It also had a pretty interesting history too it, some of our political figures in Jackson and Washington D.C. have shared the same rooms as my buddy and I during their south delta pursuits. It was owned by a buddy, and after he found out we, or shall I say my buddy, were planning on camping he made the offer to find us a more sutiable place to rest our heads. To say the least, it was the first time in many many years that I was at "camp" and the camp setting couldn't have been better. Nestled in a cove, with wide open skies, big times, and sleepy eye's LOL.

Hunt 1 Saturday December 6, 2008.

Sad, to say the least. I like to call the shots on my terms so to speak. When the birds are back peddling over the decoys, with their feet and neck stretched to their limits is the time I wait for and live for. Needless to say, Saturday wasn’t the day and we had no takers. Worked 2 mallards, but they soon drifted into the blue sky not to be seen again.

Hunt 2 Sunday December 7, 2008

Few woodies at dawn, had 2 dip into the dekes and when the feet spread I took my shot. Drake Wood Duck in full plumage smashed the water
Moments later, a hen gadwall was deceived by the calling of no other than Missed Mallards.
Buddy connected on a hen Woody as they banked over him on their way south

buddies dog with the mornings harvest

when he's not out chasing ducks across the many obstacles, well he's LOL

I kind of had a little pride on this picture, as many strap of mallards, woodies, and other migrator's have hung on this wall on the old camp wall. Weird I guess, just kind of thought it was neat to know I had done the same.

Highpoint of the weekend:
Looked to the sky to see 35 mallards searching for a place to spread their wings and float in. it was a domino effect of sorts, as with each pass each caller in the area would let out a scream of calls, let us easily figure out where the birds were LOL. Came over the group next to us only to keep our way. I hit them with a combination of calls to make them bank and circle 10 or so times. 35 + birds are quite the task of taking on, and being the grounds which we currently were positioned, not a likely one. None made the final approach, but it came close many times. I didn’t even get to shoot, but my heart raced, my calls were on cue, and I enjoyed the moment, the chase, of saying I almost LOL.

Me on my game

Almost forgot, the eats! We kind of po folks, but it was fine.

The famous "Ash Burger" LOL

I know, not up to ya'lls standards as far as birds and so on, but any day in the field over looking decoys with a mallard or two that you can argue with, well, I'll take it!

and to wrap up this post, just a picture I kind of enjoy. Notice the call lanyard LOL, I wish I knew enough about leather to make my own, maybe one day.
Last edited by missed mallards on Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If I don't do it, I ain't gettin nun.......So i'm doing it
Blackduck
Duck South Addict

Re: South Delta Pursuit

Postby Blackduck » Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:41 pm

well photographed and good story. Hard to get those birds in teh south delta.
No, i don't want to know you ---- teul

crow
Duck South Addict

Postby crow » Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:55 pm

How early did you have to get there to get that field? If that's the one I think, I remember when that tree in the middle was too little to hide under! Road down the west side?

crow
mmkenty
Veteran

Postby mmkenty » Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:57 pm

like all the pictures and the story missed mallard
I LIKE DUCK HUNTING AND BOWFISHING
SFDdelta1
Duck South Addict

Postby SFDdelta1 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:41 pm

It's Not all Mai Tais and Yahtzee Out Here
Wingman
Duck South Addict

Postby Wingman » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:14 pm

Good story. You won't remember how many birds you killed, but you'll remember the good time you had.
ISAIAH 40:31

“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
― Franklin D. Roosevelt
jsherwin
Duck South Addict

Postby jsherwin » Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:53 am

I bet there are alot of catfish ponds around that camp. :lol: Glad the skunk and hornets didnt get ya'll
The camp was habited last year. It just gets that dirty in a years time. Nothing like staying there, pitching a fire and telling stories no one wants to hear with laughter all the way to rolling fork.
Tell you buddy, Mr. C Ab to get to work and if yall want a good dog to come with yall to give me a call. 8)
Never had it so good!
GRHRCH Slim Jim's Mazzin' Mallilou "Malli" MH
Blind Faith's Shoulda Listen'd To Moses "Mo"
http://www.blindfaithministries.com/
gamehog
Veteran

Postby gamehog » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:29 am

Nice story and pictures Tom, enjoyed the read. Next time smile in the photo!
"If you're gonna shoot the sonofabitch, you better shoot him now."
- Locked Up

Return to “General Discussion Forum”