You might be Old School if.....

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
swamprooter
Duck South Addict

Re: You might be Old School if.....

Postby swamprooter » Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:51 pm

Since no one bit on my Chick question but supposely:
Cylde Hancock taught and influenced Chic Majors
Chic Majors taught and influenced Butch Richenbach
Butch Richenbach is still spreading his love in Stuggart to the youth once a week for free calling lessons

I got to meet and spend some time with Cylde Hancock's daughter last season in Lodge Corner, Ar for a few days while we hunted her land next to Bayou Meto. She trusted me as a student of duck call history and let me toot on her fathers call he won the World Championship with in the 40's or 50s........nostagia!
"i aint a mindreader, i am just an elf" Silas Robertson
Gumbo
Veteran

Postby Gumbo » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:54 pm

Great post....
Good to know there are others out there.
He's comin' back around...
Double R 2
Duck South Addict

Postby Double R 2 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:31 pm

Ramsey Russell's GetDucks.com® It's duck season somewhere. Full-service, full-time agency specializing in world-wide wingshooting and trophy bird hunts. Toll free 1-866-438-3897. Visit our website to view 100s of client testimonials, 1000s of photos.
champcaller
Duck South Addict

Postby champcaller » Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:55 pm

Achilles' Man in Black - CashMH

www.frontlinewaterfowl.com
Roach
Duck South Addict

Postby Roach » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:24 pm

mississippi_duc_htr
Veteran
Location: On the wrong damn side of the state for sure for duck hunting!!!!, HATLEY,MS

Postby mississippi_duc_htr » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:39 pm

Im definatly old school...... yall be talking bout the good ole days when the men were men and the cows stayed nervous.... uninsulated rubber Red Ball waders and the 6 knot suspenders :lol: :lol: :lol: , cotton gloves usually soaking wet bout 2 min. into the hunt, lead shot, frozen water for a week cept for the rivers... float hunting....walkin bout 3 miles to get to THE HOLE in rubber waders.!!!!!. packin 3 doz dekes in burlap potato sacks... running seagrass string through the top to make it close... piling painted burlap potato sacks on the front of your boat and float the river. Take inner tubes and use trotline string to make a seat paint the tubes camo or tie poatato sacks on top of em and float in the sloughs used for both hunting and fishing.. Notice we used alot of burlap potato sacks. That was caommo material back then fellas. I worked in a grocery store back then so they werent to hard to come by.. Man those were the days that mother nature would put you through the test and test your endurance...... man I loved it all...still do today cept for the comming home and couldnt tie your shoes or zip up your coat with you hands cause they were so cold you couldnt use them..... running cold water on them just to warm them up...... Oh yeah for you younger fellas info if you were to happen to get that cold on your handS DONT RUN HOT WATER ON THEM USE COLD......hot will make you think your hands caught on fire.....Thanks for the post and bringing back those memories of long since yester year :D :D :D :D
"You can either shoot on the next pass or watch me do it." Winchester rules hehehehe .......Amen
h2o_dog
Duck South Addict

Postby h2o_dog » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:51 pm

I started out on a Mallardtone and moved up to a D-2 Olt. Wore the $30 thin "Jap" waders from Gibson's that stunk so bad of rubber that they gave you a headache the first few times you wore them, and they were tight as frog skin on you with zero insulation. Steel shank lace up rubber boots with the bright green laces. My dad was wearing those Duxbak olive green hollofil jackets with the tan ribbed collar and cuffs (and I still wear one today)...and the Duxbak caps with the drape that snapped in the back...all purchased from Heath Bros on the square in Grenada.

A well-trained retriever was unheard of, and retrievers in general were few and far between. Dad handed me down the old '56 3hp Johnson Seahorse that spun 360 for reverse after he got a new '72 6hp with throttle on the tiller - woohoo! The most desired shell for timber shooting was the blue Peter's high brass 7 1/2 shot with #4s for the open water....usually the black ones were all I could afford. Dad shot an 12ga A-5 and I shot a Remington 16ga Model 11 until I got a new 1100 (30" full) for my 14th birthday. Those were the days.

....and I always wanted a W.C Cross call, but didn't get one until about 10 years ago...it is my most coveted duck call.
-H2O_Dog
"Simplicity is the ultimate form of sophistication" -Leonardo DaVinci
Trugrit Dixie Pistol MH 1988-1999
Trugrit Tallahatchie Tarzan MH 1995-2006
acornman
Regular

Postby acornman » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:16 pm

An earlier post mentioned the canvas hunting pants with the knit cuffs.........I have 2 pair of them that I got from L.L. Bean; they were very comfortable and good for duck hunting or quail hunting because they could be tucked into rubber knee boots, hip boots or upland boots......I have them put away for memories because I do not think my 2008 fat gut (38") will fit into a 30 inch pair from the 70's....LOL

Also, I bought my father a pair back in the early 70's for Christmas; they were the poplin kind with the flannel lining, but they still had the knit cuffs. He wore them on just about every duck hunting trip for the next 8-10 years. L.L. Bean had some good stuff back in the day.

acornman
novacaine
Duck South Addict

Postby novacaine » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:57 am

It's amazing that we survived the old days. Freezing that a@@ off standing in hip deep water with uninsulated waders and cotton gloves. You had to be either a tough s.o.b. or crazy and it helped to be both. Don't get me wrong, I would love to go back in time to do it all over again. I still remember the days when tornadic ducks fogging into your decoys was a fairly common occurance. I would gladly put on those uninsulated waders and my great big michellin man down filled coat just to see the tornado ducks of my youth :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(
"You didn't happen to find that on the side of the road did you?"- One Shot
tunica
Duck South Addict

Postby tunica » Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:53 am

I remember shooting a goose of the pond behind the barn with a 22. I had thought I killed the biggest duck in the world. That was 1959. Few years later I learned number 5 lead would knock the be jeezus out of a duck at 30 yards and paper hull shells did not like water. I so remember Daddy buying Me those water proof shells for the 12 gauge. Who remembers the old style paper wads where you could make a pumpkin slug.
acornman
Regular

Postby acornman » Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:34 am

yes....you are talking about the old nitro paper wads which I have used to reload many 16 gauge shells with. They were standard equipment before plastic shot collars and cups.

acornman
tombstone
Duck South Addict

Postby tombstone » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:33 am

[quote="GulfCoast]
Gibsons was the BOMB! They had all the cool Mann's Jellyworms that no one else carried. Then stupid Wal Mart showed up and killed them. I loved Gibsons.[/quote]

I had one in bike riding distance from my house. I use to buy wooden arrows for my 20lb fiberglass bow, bb's and fishing lures there. Every once in a while I will run across something with the pink Gibson price tag on it. Things sure were cheap then :D
There will be a day....
Deltamud77
Duck South Addict

Postby Deltamud77 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:04 am

swamprooter
Duck South Addict

Postby swamprooter » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:15 am

Saw my first mesh Decoy sack in Magic Mart there in Indianola about 1973..Rode my bike up there to get some pellets. It was on an end cap.Boasted it had straps and rot proof. I didn't replace my national gaurd army green duffle sack with the clip on the strap to years later.....I have been through alot decoys bags since then but i bet that army duffle would still hold up..
"i aint a mindreader, i am just an elf" Silas Robertson
Gumbo
Veteran

Postby Gumbo » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:11 am

+1 on the potato sacks.....we used peanut sacks, would come up to farish street to the peanut man to get 'em....used them for everything...boat camo, blind camo and decoy bags. I took a many a nap on a pile of peanut sacks in Dad's old jeep....
called 'em croaker sacks....
He's comin' back around...

Return to “General Discussion Forum”