clover plots

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Deadeye
Duck South Addict

clover plots

Postby Deadeye » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:28 am

What do you guys spray your clover plots with? Post?
I ain't a veternarian, but I know a horses booty when I see one!
RebelYelp
Duck South Addict

Re: clover plots

Postby RebelYelp » Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:05 pm

what kind of weed are you having issues with ? broadleaf or grass?
Sun rise in the east.... and it sets up in the West, yes the sun rise in east baby, and it sets up in the west..... It's hard to tell, hard to tell, hard to tell, which one, which one I love best.....
StraightUp
Veteran

Postby StraightUp » Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:25 pm

I use Poast in the spring to knock back rye grass and wheat. Then I just keep it mowed thru the summer. Will reseed with about 2lbs per acre this Fall.
DUCK-HUNT
Duck South Addict

Postby DUCK-HUNT » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:05 pm

Any product with either Sethoxydium or Clethodim in it will work just fine at rates of 24 oz per acre
Get em WET!............Their feet that is.
Deadeye
Duck South Addict

Postby Deadeye » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:31 pm

It's a mixture of weeds and braodleafs. I had a beautiful stand of durano clover, about waist deep. I didn't mow it because of the turkey nests... it's all dead now but the seed it produced is amazing. I cut it last weekend and was wondering if it was best to scratch it with a disk and spray with Poast or what?

Dead
I ain't a veternarian, but I know a horses booty when I see one!
RebelYelp
Duck South Addict

Postby RebelYelp » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:39 am

if it is dead, then no, don't spray it, herbicides will only be effective against growing plants.... sethoxydim (Poast/Vantage) or Select/Arrow/Trigger (different chemical, same result) works great on grasses by inhibiting their ability to process nutrients, ie. the plant will "outgrow" itself; not so much on broadleaf weed issues. Also, the Whitetail Institute makes a product called Arrest for grasses, which works well, but is the same as Poast Plus (very good chemical for clovers as well). For broadleaf control, you can use Pursuit or Butyrac (2,4-DB), which will control most of the the common broadleaf weeds. (note, your clover may turn yellow, look bad for a few days, but it will pull through). Slay by the Whitetail Institute, formulated for broadleaf weeds is the same as Pursuit.

Note, check into what you're spraying, often times, what you are thinking are weeds are actually very good browse species for whitetails/turkeys and other wildlife. An easy way to tell is with an excluder cage.
Sun rise in the east.... and it sets up in the West, yes the sun rise in east baby, and it sets up in the west..... It's hard to tell, hard to tell, hard to tell, which one, which one I love best.....
Drake
Veteran

Postby Drake » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:42 am

Earlier in the year, I sprayed my clover field with post. Now, maypop vines are overtaking my clover in the field. Is there anything that you can spray to kill the maypop that won't kill the clover?
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.
- Thomas Jefferson

Return to “General Discussion Forum”