Has anyone ever..........

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Stillhunter

Postby Stillhunter » Thu Sep 13, 2001 9:59 pm

I was wondering if anyone has had much luck with teal in dry fields, mainly corn, and beans?????
4-EYED GADWALL
Veteran

Postby 4-EYED GADWALL » Thu Sep 13, 2001 10:53 pm

STILLHUNTER STICK YO HEAD OUTA THUWOODS TEAL DON'T EAT HARD GRAIN AND THEY DON'T LIKE HOTT DRY DIRT.
THEY LIKE SOFT GREEN AQUATIC WEEDS AND T
THEY ABSOLUTLY LOVE MUD.

MAY WE SUGGEST A MUDDY SHALLOW SLOUGH
gwall
Veteran

Postby gwall » Fri Sep 14, 2001 6:26 am

don't forget rice , they love rice and flooded rice fields-many of the teal i've cleaned from north of Tallulah rice field were full of rice--but they don't like dry ground--you are right though - a big flat muddy water hole
hole is prime for teal
Anatidae
Duck South Addict

Postby Anatidae » Fri Sep 14, 2001 8:29 am

Teal feed much the same way that 'spoonies' do.....by skimming food off the water's surface. I don't remember ever seeing a teal 'tip-up' to feed on submergient vegetation like puddlers.

I have seen teal in 'flooded' corn or beanfields, but suspect they are there because of a presence of other birds, and feed mainly in the shallow parts of the field on things like wild millets and grass seeds that they filter thru their bills like 'spoonies'. 'Just glad they don't taste like'em. [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
jbeam17
Veteran

Postby jbeam17 » Fri Sep 14, 2001 8:47 am

In early September I have seen them feed on steel occasionally! [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
peewee
Duck South Addict

Postby peewee » Fri Sep 14, 2001 2:42 pm

So what yall are saying is that flooded wrp fields would be appropriate. Maybe with a coffee weed seed source or something.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”