Is he a retriever too?

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Super Black Eagle
Duck South Addict

Is he a retriever too?

Postby Super Black Eagle » Wed Jan 22, 2003 1:28 pm

Does anyone have any opinions about Boykin Spaniels? Good or Bad

Please, don't hold back, I am thinking about adding one to the family soon. And any personal experiences will help out.

Also, does anyone know where I can get one around the Memphis/ Northwest Mississippi area? I will drive almost anywhere for the most reputable kennel.

Thanks in advance,
SBE
"If you were supposed to watch your mouth all the time, I doubt your eyes would be above it." - DBT
"I am good at what I do, and I take great pride. But I don't make much money, so I sell eggs and chickens on the side." - WSP
crow
Duck South Addict

Postby crow » Wed Jan 22, 2003 2:01 pm

Can't help with a kennel name, but a bud here in GA has one. Beautful dog, works wonderful on field retrieves (witnessed on dove field) and is getting better in the water according to my friend. But, remember, when the last part of the name ends in spaniel, be prepared for a dog more hyper than a lab, needing more hands on time and attention to stay sharp, and that sucker has about caused a divorce about chewing stuff up! He is a beautiful dog and makes a great hunting/pet combo. Small size works for the dog in some cases against in others. I would suggest a N. Carolina breeder, as that is where the dog is most used for ducks and is most likely to have the traits you want. They are beginning to catch on in GA, by the way.
Sasha and Abby
Veteran

Postby Sasha and Abby » Wed Jan 22, 2003 2:02 pm

The dog was originated right here in SC. It is a fantastic dove dog but is not suitable for long retrieves and does not handle ducks/geese as good as "standard" retrievers. Go to http://www.scducks.com and ask again - provided you don't mind coming to SC to pick a pup up.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went."
Will Rogers
the doctor
Duck South Addict

Postby the doctor » Wed Jan 22, 2003 2:10 pm

had a boykin for three years
outstanding dove dog great nose doesnt do as well with ducks but i tnink thats more my fault than his

first one i had came from sc, kind of a high strung dog; current dog frm va greatest dog in the world

he doesnt handle long retrieves more than 80 yards as mentioned in the post anyone know why? eyesight?

they are one of the most affectionate breed of dogs i have ever known not near as aggressive as a lab on the water retrieves

visit boykin spaniel society or maybe pams boykin spaniel websites

hope this helps
the doc
Super Black Eagle
Duck South Addict

Postby Super Black Eagle » Wed Jan 22, 2003 2:13 pm

Thanks! I know I can handle the hyper activity, and the chewing, but what exactly is a "long retrieve"? 30 yrds, 50 yrds, or more?

I can barely hit a bird within the 25 yard decoy, so the only long retrieve would be a cripple on the run.

also why is it not suitable for the longer retrieves? lack of strength, no drive (want to), or what?

as for the drive to S.C., I am adding a member to the family, i don't think i need to just settle with one.

thanks,
keep going,
SBE
"If you were supposed to watch your mouth all the time, I doubt your eyes would be above it." - DBT
"I am good at what I do, and I take great pride. But I don't make much money, so I sell eggs and chickens on the side." - WSP
the doctor
Duck South Addict

Postby the doctor » Wed Jan 22, 2003 2:18 pm

sbe

had both dogs shipped via delta for under 100 bucks
they took excellent care of the dog ill try to find the kennel i bought my dogs from

i live in southaven so if you decide to get one get a female!

the doc
Super Black Eagle
Duck South Addict

Postby Super Black Eagle » Wed Jan 22, 2003 2:20 pm

thanks doc
Boykin
Veteran

Postby Boykin » Wed Jan 22, 2003 3:03 pm

Had a Boykin now for 8 years, and no they are not as big and fast as a lab but I've never been disappointed in him duck hunting. As for long retrieves he has made 150yd or more retrieves and never had any problems.
dukdawgn
Veteran

dogs

Postby dukdawgn » Thu Jan 23, 2003 9:19 am

I am a firm believer in the notion that a good dog, is a good dog.... regardless of his origin. I have seen boykins, swamp collies, chessies, labs, and much more..... and i've seen good dogs in amongst them all.

Preference, i'd go with a headstrong lab. I just can't bring myself to using a little boykin or smaller golden retriever in the conditions that I hunt in. But that's just my opinion.

There is a breeder of boykins in Memphis, TN.... don't know his first name, but the last name is GRISANTI. I came across his name from our retriever clubs past hunt test papers. He has an HRC titled Hunting Retriever boykin....

hope this helps
Super Black Eagle
Duck South Addict

Postby Super Black Eagle » Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:27 pm

Boykin
Veteran

Postby Boykin » Thu Jan 23, 2003 1:01 pm

dukdawgn
Veteran

geese

Postby dukdawgn » Thu Jan 23, 2003 10:26 pm

it would certainly impress the hell out of me to see a lil boykin haul in a Canada goose.... i'm always impressed to see a big lab breast-up one of them bad boys. It'd be a tough job for the boykin with geese. Ducks shouldn't present a problem, and dove should be a cake walk.

But, then comes the facts..... what kinda "dawg" is he? How will he be if he's supposedly already been trained? Can a boykin tackle the likes of a crippled goose?

A lot will fall into play in your hands.... how you care/teach/train the pup.
Once again, as someone mentioned before, do your homework on the lineage and breeders.
featherduster
Veteran

Postby featherduster » Fri Jan 24, 2003 12:34 pm

Harrell Coulter

Return to “General Discussion Forum”