Steele Bayou ??

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Steele Bayou ??

Postby Wildfowler » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:37 pm

Is the gate open or closed right now? We've had a lot of discussion about the pumps lately, and I don't think I've ever known what the criteria was that forced the gates to close today? Do they ever try to close the gates in the Spring to keep the river out, regardless of the water levels? Or is the gate to remain open at all levels provided that the river is lower than the landside so water can "gravity fall".

Currently the riverside gauge read: 83.79 feet

http://www2.mvr.usace.army.mil/WaterCon ... &fid=&dt=S

The landside reads: 84.16 feet.

http://www2.mvr.usace.army.mil/WaterCon ... &fid=&dt=S

As long as the landside remains higher than the river, do they just leave the gate open letting the whole south delta back up? We're only about 3 feet away from when the pumps would come on. Just curious what's going on over there right now.
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
BR549
Duck South Addict

Re: Steele Bayou ??

Postby BR549 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:38 am

Yes, anytime the water is higher on the land side the gates are open no matter what the levels are.
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:14 pm

I'm still trying to understand this. Please help me a little more with this.

I don't know exactly how far away the MS river is from the Steele Bayou gate. I don't know much time it would take a change in the MS river at Vicksburg to reach the "riverside" portion of the Steele Bayou. I'm guessing that when the MS river reaches a certain point and above, any change in the reading at Vicksburg results in a directly corresponding change in the reading at the "riverside" portion of the Steele Bayou gate? Probably within only a few hours time. Is this correct?

On Feb 26, the MS river at Vicksburg was at 36.12 feet. At the same time the Steele Bayou reading was 83.79 (Feb27) for the riverside gauge and landside reading was 84.19.

The pumps could have turned on with just a little over three more feet of water. (isn't the magic number 87 feet?) And if there was three more feet of water, the MS river would have only been some 39 feet high at Vicksburg. This isn't even flood stage for the river.

Doesn't the MS at Vicksburg hit or exceed 39 just about every year? Even if the river doesn't hit 39 feet every year. 39 feet is certainly not a once per 100 year event that the pumps are supposed to protect against. Aren't we really talking about pumping out the equivalent of what would happen in the south delta when the MS river goes above 39 feet if the Steele Bayou control structure were not in place? Is 39 feet even that big of a deal? Surely there is no farming being done on lands that would flood at 39 feet. Surely there are no houses that are not elevated on lands that flood at 39 feet. By contrast, wouldn't the pump actually make even more lands for safe for agriculture?

Is this really what we're trying to "protect" against? Maybe I've got it all wrong?

Is the road at Chotard Landing even underwater at 39 feet?
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
Dukelane
Regular

Postby Dukelane » Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:55 pm

I'm betting you know more than anyone on this board about that. I didnt even know the 100 yr. water levels.
BR549
Duck South Addict

Postby BR549 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:27 pm

The steel Bayou gates are not on the MS River. They are some 8 to 10 miles up the Yazoo River. A lot of water coming down the Yazoo could have more effect than say a 39 or 40 ft MS river stage. The pumps were to be set to come on at 87 only if the water on the river side of the structure was higher than the land side. Otherwise the gates would remain open and let the water "gravity" out to the river. You may not think 87 feet is much but try telling that to the man that has all that wheat down there that's just about to go under water right now. Especially after he has already put fertilizer on it! 87 feet not only covers a lot of farmland but at that level it really slows down the drainage of higher elevations. If the water was at 87 landside, with the gates closed, and we were to get a 2 or 3" rain like last night. It would probabaly cover anything below 90 to 91 ft before it could all shake out. I spec there was some wheat lost by this morning down there. Not saying it's a cure all but anything would be a help. Crops can't stand water to sit on them more than 24 hrs without devastating them. I haven't been down that way today but the cutoff canal Moday before the rain was bank full. Another 1-2 ft would have put it in a lot of fields!
BR549
Duck South Addict

Postby BR549 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:53 pm

Steele Bayou this morning was just under 80.8 landside and 80.4 riverside. Not much flow going out. By tomorrow I bet you will see a big difference in both sides after all that rain last night!
mudsucker
Duck South Addict

Postby mudsucker » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:54 pm

:idea: Grow rice in the sump!
Long Live the Black Democrat!
GEAUX LSU!
WHO DAT!
DO,DU AND DW!
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:02 pm

Gelly

Postby Gelly » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:09 pm

$#!+!!
Gelly

Postby Gelly » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:10 pm

LMAO
SoftCall
Duck South Addict

Postby SoftCall » Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:36 am

run me out in the cold rain and snow
BR549
Duck South Addict

Postby BR549 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:41 am

First of all on a "flat" river as you speak of 38 ft on Vicksburg guage would not be 87 ft sea level. It's more like 43 ft. Maybe that will put a little more perspective on it. When they close the seawall at Vicksburg port it's about 89 to 90! And yes anytime the water is higher on the river side the gates are normally closed. There may be a time when they want to let some water in. This has been done several times to either fill or flush Eagle Lake. But for the most part they stay closed.
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:31 am

Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:32 am

SoftCall
Duck South Addict

Postby SoftCall » Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:19 pm

run me out in the cold rain and snow

Return to “General Discussion Forum”