Building a pirogue **Pics Added***

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
rustypjr
Duck South Addict

Building a pirogue **Pics Added***

Postby rustypjr » Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:34 am

Well I have been toying with the idea for about 2 years and finally decided to give it a try I am going to start probably next week after I round all my supplies up. Goint o build either a 12' or a 14' have not made my mind up. Any of yall done this before? Tips tricks. I am not ardering a kit I am going to make it part my self. I think i can do this. I will post pics one I get started. Again if anyone has done this any info would be great.
Last edited by rustypjr on Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rusty Parsons
LostBoy
Veteran

Re: Building a pirogue

Postby LostBoy » Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:42 am

I ordered plans of the net and built one about two years ago. http://www.gatorboats.com/ I built the croc. Was easy to do and not too expensive. But is was heavier than I wanted so I gave it to a buddy and now I am looking a mabybe building a foam core boat.
"Of course I make mistakes. One time I thought I might not know everything, but I was wrong."
gamehog
Veteran

Postby gamehog » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:18 am

Good luck - I enjoyed building mine. It is 12 feet.

If I did it again, I would fiberglass the bottom and sides before I assembled them, and then put a second layer on the outside of the bottom and sides. I did not fiberglass anything until I had the pirogue assembled, and I think it would be a little cleaner if I had done first layer of fiberglass before assembly.

Send us a pix when done!
"If you're gonna shoot the sonofabitch, you better shoot him now."
- Locked Up
Trip
Duck South Addict

Postby Trip » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:50 am

I got some plans the other day for a Hybrid Layout boat that I'm fixing to start construction on.
Josh Lantrip
rustypjr
Duck South Addict

Postby rustypjr » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:16 am

Rusty Parsons
RedEyed Duck
Duck South Addict

Postby RedEyed Duck » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:47 am

I have been thinking about building one too. Ya'll post up all the pics and info you got, as I am a bit challenged when it comes to working with wood and need all the help I can get!
Bill Collector
Duck South Addict

Postby Bill Collector » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:57 am

Rule # 1. No Fat Chicks
Rule # 2. Eager Beats Pretty
Super Black Eagle
Duck South Addict

Postby Super Black Eagle » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:58 am

I built one a couple of years ago. Minus the belt sander, i did the whole thing with only hand tools in the parking lot of our apartment complex.

I bought the kit from Uncle Johns http://www.unclejohns.com/boat (only the ribs and the plans), then the fiberglass from Raka http://www.raka.com (they have a discount and a kit, if you mentions uncle johns.)

Good luck, and photo document the whole thing.
14'
SBE

"If you were supposed to watch your mouth all the time, I doubt your eyes would be above it." - DBT
"I am good at what I do, and I take great pride. But I don't make much money, so I sell eggs and chickens on the side." - WSP
champcaller
Duck South Addict

Postby champcaller » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:00 am

if yall dont mind me asking........... how much did it cost to build it yourselves?
Achilles' Man in Black - CashMH

www.frontlinewaterfowl.com
jdbuckshot
Duck South Addict

Postby jdbuckshot » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:01 am

i have built a couple of them, i would build a 16' one then cut the back off 2' or so and make a square tansom it makes for a really nice rig, then you can build you a little weedeater mud motor and take off!

I would also fit all the parts, disassemble and glass everything before final assembly, then re-glass after its all done. Also if you are going to hunt out of it, by the way it makes a great layout boat! i would put spud holes in it!

JD
"The rich ..... who are content to buy what they have not the desire to get by their own exertions, These are the real enemies of Game."
Super Black Eagle
Duck South Addict

Postby Super Black Eagle » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:38 am

< $200
"If you were supposed to watch your mouth all the time, I doubt your eyes would be above it." - DBT
"I am good at what I do, and I take great pride. But I don't make much money, so I sell eggs and chickens on the side." - WSP
brandon327
Veteran

Postby brandon327 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:55 am

I built one from the gator boat plans.. I think i built it is 14'. I did not fiberglass anything. That thing it a jonny bust butt rig but it will float in a heavy dew. I tried using it but it was just too tippy for me. I ended up using it for a decoy sled. That thing will hold a bunch of decoys.
I think I am going to build another one and make it wider. Then i am gonna build me a 5 Hp longtail to go on it.
rustypjr
Duck South Addict

Postby rustypjr » Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:20 pm

Rusty Parsons
gamehog
Veteran

Postby gamehog » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:04 pm

"If you're gonna shoot the sonofabitch, you better shoot him now."

- Locked Up
jdbuckshot
Duck South Addict

Postby jdbuckshot » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:13 pm

Im going to look at some scrap aluminum sheets tomarrow, i hope there is enough there to build me a nice pirouge!

JD
"The rich ..... who are content to buy what they have not the desire to get by their own exertions, These are the real enemies of Game."

Return to “General Discussion Forum”