Dent's Landing at Albarmarle sold, Chotard may be next

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
HDC
Veteran

Re: Dent's Landing at Albarmarle sold, Chotard may be next

Postby HDC » Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:51 am

BR549,

Do you enjoy responding to my posts with something other than an answer to my questions? You must, because you constantly ignore my questions, and normally go on a rant about how I am making you mad or how I am so stupid.

Based on your lack of response to my question, I assume the land below the water is privately owned and if so, those private land owners pay taxes every year on that land. Assuming all this to be true (I really am not sure), I find it interesting that the general public is upset about the possibility that they may no longer get to fish in water above land that they do not own, but those same people have never been concerned about the State taking tax dollars from those land owners. :shock:
JaMak84
Duck South Addict

Postby JaMak84 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:39 am

Those same landowners bought the property with the understanding that a portion of the property would be covered by public water and by that agreed to pay the taxes on it. So I don't feel sorry asking them to pay taxes on property they purchased under these circumstances.
deltadukman: "We may not agree on everything, but we all like t!tties"
HDC
Veteran

Postby HDC » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:56 am

Perhaps some of those landowners inherited the land from their family who owned the property before the river was there and before it was covered by "public" water such that the current landowners had no choice and have had to watch the public fish over land that they pay for every year. :roll:
BR549
Duck South Addict

Postby BR549 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:47 pm

Man like I said, read the whole post! This isn't about wether the land is under water or what. It was about having acess to the lake. If you can't get to it the what freakin difference does it make. I own property on Lake Albermarle so it's not going to effect me. I have acess to my property too no matter what. Point is there were only three ramps on the two lakes that were open to the general public. One we know has already been bought out and shut down. The other two are at this time trying to be purchased by the same people for the same purpose. We are trying desperately to keep these 4 lakes open to the general public by some sort of access to them.
I'm not trying to pick on you but sometimes you post some of the dumbest *&^( I've ever seen in my life! All you have to do is read. Do you not have any common sense? Or are you one of the morons that thinks everybody owes you something? This kinda attitude is what's causing the problems everywhere. If they lock up the public access then essentially the lake become private. There is no god given right to make it public. You can't always access it by the river. Even if you could the latest ruling in Pharm vs Shumate makes that questionable. Wether this affect MS law or not the ditch coming in is SOLEY in the state of Louisiana. They obviously have an agenda to somehow shut it down. I don't want to see that any more than anyone else does. But it's people with attitudes like your's that make it difficult for the few that try and work hard to look out for more than just themselves!

Now back off BOZO!!!
HDC
Veteran

Postby HDC » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:55 pm

BR.............now I have made you mad, I am stupid and you are calling me names again. De ja vous (sp?)

Perhaps you should consider some anger management treatment. Are you related to Benny?

"There is no god given right to make it public." .........We both agree on this.

If the State, the Feds, or the public in general want it to be public, they should pony up and pay for it.
BR549
Duck South Addict

Postby BR549 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:37 pm

No see that's where you are wrong. I learned a long time ago to overlook people like you. I just don't mind calling a spade a spade when he or she presents one's self. Im not angry at anyone but like a post I read on here just the other night. You can go to school get all the education you want in some fields, (wildlife biology for instance) get out and practice it for years. Be great at what you do, gain the respect of all the people around in your profession. Then come on here and some fool that don't know Jack Schitt knows more than you about wildlife. After a while you just learn to overlook people like that and go on! One man don't stop no show!

If calling you a bozo on here offends then then I'm sorry to have offended you. But it's kinda like being an outlaw; "you get the game, you get the name" You keep posting dumb things like that without reading the whole thing, then don't get offended when someone steps on your toes!

There are people trying desperately right now to keep the lakes mentioned open to the public. People that really know who to see and what to do about it and what's really going on. Please just sit back and let them do their jobs. It may already be to late but let's just hope not.
HDC
Veteran

Postby HDC » Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:29 pm

I don't find you offensive, just amusing. You are always right and anyone that disagrees with you is a moron, an idiot, trouble maker or a combination of the three. In the Logic class I took in college, they taught that this is a common tactic used by someone who cannot support their position with facts.

I merely asked who owned the land under the water.

As for those who are trying to keep the water open for the public, I am inclined to think they (or the State) should be willing to pay for it. Maybe they could get some of the COE or Levee Board money and buy up the land under and around the water to ensure it will be available to the public. :lol:
mudsucker
Duck South Addict

Postby mudsucker » Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:51 pm

Will it have a pump on it HDC and how can we blame the ACOE? :?
Long Live the Black Democrat!
GEAUX LSU!
WHO DAT!
DO,DU AND DW!
hrharris

Postby hrharris » Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:08 pm

BR.. may i ask where you have access to lake Albarmarle
HDC
Veteran

Postby HDC » Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:29 pm

Now that is a great idea Mud! The COE could take some of that dredging money and equipment and dredge the entire lake; then, use the extra holding capacity of the lake as a place to pump excess water from the Ms. River. :D
mudsucker
Duck South Addict

Postby mudsucker » Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:32 pm

Long Live the Black Democrat!
GEAUX LSU!
WHO DAT!
DO,DU AND DW!
SoftCall
Duck South Addict

Postby SoftCall » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:28 pm

run me out in the cold rain and snow
HDC
Veteran

Postby HDC » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:42 pm

I don't have personal knowledge about the land under and around Chotard, but do have personal knowledge about other water boides iin Ms. that formerly were not waterways or water holding bodies.

I also know that since the mid 1800's the river has moved several miles in places such that areas that used to be part or the river are now dry land and vice versa.
SoftCall
Duck South Addict

Postby SoftCall » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:35 pm

I think that the odds of tract of land existing that was impacted by the dynamic river bed and also having not changed hands since the 1800's is a slim probability.

The only personal knowledge that I have of public bodies of water that used to be private are the reservoirs. Trust me when I say that many a land owner got screwed when the government claimed those lands under ED and paid a "fair" market value for the public's sole use...then leased those lands to private for profit parties...but that's a soap box story...

However, Chotard has always been a public lake. If someone tries to seal it off, I am certain that the state of MS will take a chunk to make a boat ramp. It may take some time, but it will happen. Some other land owner who may not have issues with public access gets screwed then.

Obviously, if this nonsense is true, somebody has more money than brain matter.
run me out in the cold rain and snow
Wingman
Duck South Addict

Postby Wingman » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:23 am

Actually...(inserting my chiuaua into this fight), Chotard and Albemarle (or the parts of them that now exist) were the MS River when MS was granted statehood in 1817, hence the LA/MS state line that runs through them to this day.

Albemarle was the main MS channel until what appears to have been the Newman Cut-Off in 1913 (I think, can't read the type on the map). Then, Chotard remained a part of the river channel until 1934 when the Willow Cut-Off occurred.

In fact, according to the Fisk survey (attached photo), many of the camps, and thus, existing boat ramps, lie on what was once the main channels of the MS River back to about 400 AD.

So, to quote the ole sailor in Master and Commander, "The Lord giveth...and the Lord taketh away". Chotard and Albemarle have always been public water (at least since they were created out of dry ground way back when), even though MS decided to sell the beds underneath them many years ago. It's the same as having beach front property. You may have title to the sand, but you don't own the surf. In my opinion, the title to lands should stop at the edge of the natural banks and the state should have never sold the dirt between the banks, but that's not how it is and that's all I have to say about that.

And if you really want to argue, read the argument between MS and LA back in 1931: http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/g ... &invol=458
ISAIAH 40:31

“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
― Franklin D. Roosevelt

Return to “General Discussion Forum”