Basement ?

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
alabamabronco
Veteran

Basement ?

Postby alabamabronco » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:39 am

jacksbuddy
Duck South Addict

Postby jacksbuddy » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:44 am

Either way, make sure that you have drainage away from the house - - - especially subteranian drainage. Remember that not all of your water is going to come from rain. The water table comes into play when you add a basement. (Remember, you are burying an airbubble.)

My advice. Not that you asked, but...
Nobody owes you anything.
alabamabronco
Veteran

Postby alabamabronco » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:57 am

DuckDeke
Veteran

Postby DuckDeke » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:05 pm

Bully
Veteran

Postby Bully » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:22 pm

Justin
jdbuckshot
Duck South Addict

contractor

Postby jdbuckshot » Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:12 pm

"The rich ..... who are content to buy what they have not the desire to get by their own exertions, These are the real enemies of Game."
jc
Regular

Postby jc » Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:37 pm

crow
Duck South Addict

Postby crow » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:13 pm

Bully
Veteran

Re: contractor

Postby Bully » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:31 pm

Justin
DuckTruck
Regular

Postby DuckTruck » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:30 pm

The key really is the drainage. There is no right answer as far as the walls go. The correct way is as follows:

- Footing with water bar. Waterbar is a piece of vinyl that will be poured half in the footing and half in the wall. (as mentioned earlier) see link:
http://www.daytonconcreteacc.com/produc ... inylex.htm
When this is installed, make sure that the plastic in the slab is turned up to above the bottom of the waterbar. If not you have the potential for water from below being "pushed" in.

- CORRECT WATERPROOFING NOT DAMPROOFING- Waterproofing is a board type as shown below:
http://www.concretenetwork.com/concrete ... branes.htm

Damproofing is the stuff that comes in a bucket and is sprayed on. The problem is pressure. Water in the ground is under pressure and can be pushed into the wall (whatever the structure). If there is a board there, it will just push the board tighter against the wall.

- Gravel backfill with a drain tile-After the above is applied, the drain tile should be placed along the footing and backfilled with clean stone (typically # 2 or larger). The gravel should go all the way to the top of the wall. The gravel keeps the water from being pressurized and forced into the wall. Once the water hits the gravel, it is not under pressure anymore, it falls to the drain and out to daylight.

Whatever the wall construction is will hold up for SEVERAL years maintenance free if you follow the above (or similar). If you do chose the masonry, make sure that they are poured solid.

PS If it were mine, I would prefer the poured concrete walls. HOWEVER if you use a wall company (there are several in my area), make sure that they waterproof it like I described above (or similar). They are notorious for providing a "lifetime" guarantee and using dampproofing. They can get away with it because the poured concrete is more dense than the concrete block. The water will eventually make it through to the inside, but they will be loooooooong gone.

PS I own a commercial design-build construction company, I don't just study basements in my spare time!!
alabamabronco
Veteran

Postby alabamabronco » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:06 pm

Thanks for all the info. I had planned to go with the poured walls but wanted to know what everyone else thought. Yea the poured walls are a lot more :shock: ...i think it will be worth it in the long run

Return to “General Discussion Forum”