Wiley Duck Calls?

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
jbeam17
Veteran

Wiley Duck Calls?

Postby jbeam17 » Wed Sep 05, 2001 8:15 am

Trying out some new calls by Wiley and wondering what everybody thinks of them. [img]images/smiles/icon_confused.gif[/img]
Anatidae
Duck South Addict

Wiley Duck Calls?

Postby Anatidae » Wed Sep 05, 2001 8:30 am

I don't know....Go back outside and blow'em REAL LOUD....it's a long way to Starkville. [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I haven't tried one, yet. What do YOU think of them?

[ September 05, 2001: Message edited by: Anatidae ]
jbeam17
Veteran

Wiley Duck Calls?

Postby jbeam17 » Wed Sep 05, 2001 8:59 am

well so far i really like them, the single is my favorite , the small amount of air you put through them makes it alot easier to blow. [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]
Drake
Veteran

Wiley Duck Calls?

Postby Drake » Wed Sep 05, 2001 9:21 am

In my humble opinion, they are ok except for after using them a while the rubber can get too flexible. Unless you are careful, you can bend the call the wrong way and the reed will touch the side of the call which makes for a funky sounding duck. The double reed is my favorite though (I think it sounds better than my single reed). I have both a single and a double reed though my single reed is the old style black tubing. Just my 2 cents.
vicksburg
Duck South Addict

Wiley Duck Calls?

Postby vicksburg » Wed Sep 05, 2001 9:26 am

I've had all of wiley's models. They're really good sounding calls, but in my experience they seem to get out of tune easy. It seems like mine need tuning every other hunt.
jbeam17
Veteran

Wiley Duck Calls?

Postby jbeam17 » Wed Sep 05, 2001 9:47 am

Quinn do you go to State [img]images/smiles/icon_confused.gif[/img]

also when did you buy your calls

[ September 05, 2001: Message edited by: Pintail ]
jbeam17
Veteran

Wiley Duck Calls?

Postby jbeam17 » Wed Sep 05, 2001 10:03 am

Anatidae,, when i get back to State i will be sure to let you here just how loud i can be. Maybe we'll meet up on the early youth hunt at Noxubee Refuge. I have a young friend that was interested in the program.
Anatidae
Duck South Addict

Wiley Duck Calls?

Postby Anatidae » Wed Sep 05, 2001 10:22 am

Sorry, Pintail....I just couldn't resist. [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] Look me up when you get here. Good Luck with the calls.

I think the beauty of ANY call is that they can be tuned to suit your indivual style of calling. 'First thing I do when I buy one
(not that they necessarily need 'modifying') is to polish the parts and retune the thing. They may blow fine outa the box, but you can get SO MUCH MORE outa those things if you 'tinker' with'em a little. 'Gotta know what you're doing when you mess with the more expensive Arkie-style calls, though. I don't!

So, get 2 calls and when the first one goes 'sour', use the other one. Then tune the sour one that night. Weather conditions (especially humidity and ice) can render a call useless, unless you know what to do about it. I think it's a 'PLUS', that Wiley's (and other calls) are 'tunable'. Worse comes to worst.....buy another one. [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]
jbeam17
Veteran

Wiley Duck Calls?

Postby jbeam17 » Wed Sep 05, 2001 12:09 pm

Anatidae,

Good advice, try a Wiley for yourself, if you like to tune them they are easy to take apart and reassemble, StarkVegas is where they are made. [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

[ September 05, 2001: Message edited by: Pintail ]
Anatidae
Duck South Addict

Wiley Duck Calls?

Postby Anatidae » Wed Sep 05, 2001 3:06 pm

Yeah, I know Tom....Really nice guy!
jbeam17
Veteran

Wiley Duck Calls?

Postby jbeam17 » Wed Sep 05, 2001 3:09 pm

I know you have blown one know, because Tom won't let you get around him with out pushing them. [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
duforester
Veteran

Wiley Duck Calls?

Postby duforester » Wed Sep 05, 2001 4:15 pm

I just recently bought a Wiley Double reed call. So far, I really like it. It sounds real good!
Anatidae
Duck South Addict

Wiley Duck Calls?

Postby Anatidae » Wed Sep 05, 2001 4:53 pm

No........actually, Tom knows I'm partial to Haydel's and he respects me enough not to try to cram a 'Wiley' down my throat, (not that I would take it that way). He probably figures if I am curious enough to try one, I can do like everybody else....go buy one. I'm no better than anybody else......and don't expect a free call. [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]
pushpole
Regular

Wiley Duck Calls?

Postby pushpole » Fri Sep 07, 2001 6:40 pm

I drove to mack's pwings to buy my call. It would have alot closer to drive to Starksville. Anyway, the one I got, hung up when you blew to hard. We a friend and I reworked the call by opening the call channel and installing a longer single reed (one from Echo), the call sounds great with the longer reed. This was easier than sending the enitre call back to Wiley. When my friend lost the barrel off his Echo last year, Echo sent him a whole new call with several extra reeds at no cost. [img]images/smiles/icon_eek.gif[/img]

Return to “General Discussion Forum”