Waders - What's the Latest & Greatest?

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
SoftCall
Duck South Addict

Waders - What's the Latest & Greatest?

Postby SoftCall » Tue Oct 22, 2002 11:18 pm

OK - I know that this topic has been discussed over and over again. I am going to purchase a new pair of waders. I want a pair that will last many seasons. My old pair has that perma-fart smell that I can't get rid of. They have lasted 7 hard seasons. They were Lacrosse's first attempt at a light weight cordura coated pvc wader. Don't know why they discontinued them except for maybe the methane retention factor.

I can't stand neoprene. They are made to leak and get ripped in the timber. Who makes the toughest, most comfortable wader today?

I am not against neoprene waders if they are coated with some type of mega bullet proof kevlar type of protective force field. Nothing worse than a wet crotch and cold feet.

Functionality and durability are my primary concerns. Cost isn't the primary factor in this case. I am cheap but not when it comes to a critical piece of equipment (disclaimer to avoid being accused of snobbery).
run me out in the cold rain and snow
DuckyDan
Veteran

Postby DuckyDan » Tue Oct 22, 2002 11:29 pm

Lacrosse Brushtuff. Toughest neoprenes on the market. I love mine. Once you wear them hunting, you'll feel like you're wearing sweat pants compared to those stiff canvas waders! You can't bulldoze barbed wire fences with ease with them like you might could with some of those cordura waders, but I've had real good luck with mine for 3 years now. (knock on wood!)
Sometimes the best call is no call at all...
MALLARDBUSTER
Veteran

Postby MALLARDBUSTER » Wed Oct 23, 2002 3:09 am

LACROSSE BOUNDARY SUPER TUFF, PERFECT FOR THE TEMPS AROUND HERE, 3.5 MM NEOPRENE,VERY ABRASION RESISTANT, I'VE HAD MINE GOING ON 3 SEASONS AND THAT'S A RECORD FOR ME. I WADE THROUGH ANY AND EVERTHING, I KNOW NO BOUNDARIES.THESE ARE THE ONLY PAIR OF WADERS THAT I'VE HAD FOR MORE THAN 2 SEASONS.
DRY EM OUT BOYS!
dux thibodeaux

Postby dux thibodeaux » Wed Oct 23, 2002 8:37 am

Cabela's Ultimate with Armor-Flex. Have hunted timber and even wear them deer hunting. Never ripped and a very good price. If you can get cold in these you have done better than me. I can only wear one layer under mine.
If you sleep with dawgs, you get fleas.
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Wed Oct 23, 2002 8:49 am

Softcall, do you happen to remeber how many pair of Cabelas Brushbusters I've been through? 3 pair in 4 seasons.

I would recommend that you try the Lacrosse neoprene brushbuster. If they are going to leak, it will probably happen within a year. Lacrosse has a no questions asked return policy.

I have had problems with them leaking right away, and am on my 3rd pair in 3 seasons (this year being the 3rd season) So far so good on my latest pair.
SoftCall
Duck South Addict

Postby SoftCall » Wed Oct 23, 2002 7:20 pm

Lacrosse Brush tuff it is. I tried on the Hodgeman Duramag and the boot feels like a pair of concrete slippers to me. Plus they don't grab at the ankle and the boot will come off of your foot in the gumbo.

The Cabelas ultimate hunting wader looks pretty tough from what I can tell and that would be my #2 choice without actually putting a pair on.

The Lacrosse have and ankle fit boot - that's what sold me. Plus if they tear up, I can return them to the mean mallard. That's were I intend to purchase them (on Friday..pay day :wink: ). Their price is actually lower than Mack's and Cabela's even before you add in the shipping costs. Plus both of the guys in there helped me as soon as I walked through the door and they both knew about the products too....that's what I call customer service man!!!!
run me out in the cold rain and snow
mallardchaser
Duck South Addict

Postby mallardchaser » Wed Oct 23, 2002 7:35 pm

Hodgeman Lakestream ( I think it is, it's there brushtuff)
Meeka
Duck South Addict

Postby Meeka » Thu Oct 24, 2002 10:01 am

I'm with the insurance guy - Hodgeman is what I have now. Last year was my first and I never experienced a leak. Mine are very comfy at just a 3 or 3.5 mm. I can walk forever in them, bend, squat, whatever with ease.

They are not as warm as my old 5 mm LaCross Brushtuffs, but they dont leak. The difference in walking comfort is major. I also have a pair of Hodgman waist-highs that I love.

The thinner material of my Hodgeman's is not as warm, though. With the Lacross, my feet NEVER got cold and I always felt like I was wrapped up in a feather bed = warm and toasty. On the other hand, when I had to hike, especially if the weather was mild, or even hot like it is here sometimes, I felt like two rats screwing in a wool sock = HOT.

If the weather is cold, say 25 and below, I put on fleece pants and am generally fine.
RB
Regular

Postby RB » Thu Oct 24, 2002 10:46 am

LaCrosse Brushtuff....King Size(for us Duckslayers who like to eat what we kill).. 1200 Grams of Thinsulate....bought a pair last year and don't know how I made it all these years with those canvas/rubber/canvas type...actually
I bought a pair of Rocky Waterfowl Series last year before I bought the LaCrosse...with ankle fit... worst mistake I ever made... they are the most uncomfortable waders I ever put on...and the hardest in the world to get off your body... NEVER buy a pair of ankle fit waders...sure it sounds good but they sure are not easy to get off you're feet unless you have a Warn 9000 and your truck shackled to a big oak for assistance.
Never knew what I was missing with neoprene....By the way.... know where you can get a pair for $199.99, plus tax..if you are interested.
It's not a passion, it's a sickness!!! I don't want a cure!!!!
nomsduckhunter
Veteran

Postby nomsduckhunter » Thu Oct 24, 2002 11:17 am

I just got my second pair of Lacross Brushtuff. First pair did not make two years before leaking. I understand the warranty has changed on these and will only have a one year warranty from now on. Better check this out first.
mallardchaser
Duck South Addict

Postby mallardchaser » Thu Oct 24, 2002 12:51 pm

My last pair of waders were hodgeman wadewells, canvas. I got 7-8 yrs out of them..I bought a pair of them for $59.00 on the hodgeman website. I'll use them in warmer weather or where I have to walk real far (meeka.) I just bought some neoprene hodgmans too.,
Greenhead22
Duck South Addict

Postby Greenhead22 » Thu Oct 24, 2002 1:31 pm

I got a pair of the Supertuff's last year and love them. You can find good deals on lacrosse waders on ebay. They've got the $200 supertuff waders on there for like $150.
Stano
Veteran

Hodgman Hogmen Hodgmen

Postby Stano » Thu Oct 24, 2002 2:33 pm

Hodgmen the only way to go one pair is 4 years old still in good shape I have seen several members go thru Lacross after lacross leaky boots and crotchs I went thru two pair myself before I switched
Bluesky
Veteran

Postby Bluesky » Thu Oct 24, 2002 2:54 pm

This is easy. LaCrosse Brushtuff!!!! :lol:
"For we were there together, you and I, though perhaps a thousand or so miles apart. In the wild fowler's way we were together to break the ice, to slog the mud and to witness the daily explosion of sunlight..while prudent men slept safe and warm."
Meeka
Duck South Addict

Postby Meeka » Thu Oct 24, 2002 3:31 pm

Chaser, you oughta try some of them 5 mm LaCrosses and quit trying to do all that walking!

I've been staying in better shape this year and working on that Precor. I can do about 45 minutes. That might be good enough to hunt some new places this year.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”