OPENING DAY....STORY

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
nomsduckhunter
Veteran

OPENING DAY....STORY

Postby nomsduckhunter » Tue Oct 22, 2002 7:43 am

BBBRRRRRRING, I sprang out of bed at the first sound of the alarm. Opening day, could it get any better. All my clothes are laid out in perfect order. As I’m dressing I can smell breakfast cooking. Eggs over easy, bacon sizzling in the skillet and big ole cat head biscuits, hot with butter dripping off of them. All this just waiting for me. Before I’m completely dressed I can smell the aroma of coffee permeating the air. I finished up a meal fit for a king and headed outside to load the rest of the gear. Everything was already loaded and the dog was sitting beside the truck waiting. I think he was even smiling at me. He is as ready as I am. I checked the gas tank, FULL; my wife must have filled the tank last night before coming to bed. This is great! I’m trying to get there early to beat the crowds and as I pull into the parking area, I noticed my partner is not here yet. No problem, it’s still early. I decide to go ahead and get the dekes out and wait for him in the blind. What comes is the most beautiful sunrise you could ever see. Brilliant reds lighting up an overcast sky. I am sitting here sipping coffee and dreaming of things to come. Could it get any better! Just at shooting time, I can here the whistling of wings overhead. Ducks are everywhere!! My calling has never been better. I hit the feed chuckle and here comes a greenie…straight at me. I have never been able to hit anything coming at me like this. I raise the gun, blot the duck and squeeze the trigger. The Mallard falls right at my feet. Hoowheeee, this is the best. Here come about six more, all greenheads. I hit the call and they just about break their necks turning to come into the dekes. I stand and got my first double, ever. I send the dog and he makes two perfect retrieves. He’s never done this before. Before the hour is up I’ve made two remarkable shots on a Pintail drake and a Wood Duck drake, and now my day is complete. This has undoubtedly been the best hunt I have ever been on in my entire life. Now I ask myself, could it ever get any better than this? Perfect morning, perfect shooting, perfect retrieves, and a brace of ducks to show for it. I look at the sky and there is a tornado of ducks trying to come in. Let’s call it a day. Time to head back, honey, to the, a little louder, honey, truck. Whaaaat, whhhaaaat. Honey, wake up, your gonna be late. Your alarm went off 30 minutes ago. It’s opening day!
RB
Regular

Postby RB » Tue Oct 22, 2002 8:33 am

NoMs.... You got my blood boiling... Don't you wish every hunt would be as good as one you told. I sure hate it for those nonduckhunters who don't know what they're missing. Every day is another day closer to the sounds of those whistling wings.
It's not a passion, it's a sickness!!! I don't want a cure!!!!
comeback
Regular

Postby comeback » Wed Oct 23, 2002 7:02 am

well done....hate i didn't show up..really hate i missed the breakfast! tell me, is it only one month away? we got to get busy! :D
now,how did i miss that one?
nomsduckhunter
Veteran

Postby nomsduckhunter » Thu Oct 24, 2002 11:13 am

Well, I can forget about the breakfast :lol: that ain't gonna happen! I can always dream about that perfect hunt tho....And I agree time is getting short.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”