Bluewings, SB and the Tingle Jinx

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Wingman
Duck South Addict

Bluewings, SB and the Tingle Jinx

Postby Wingman » Fri Sep 27, 2002 4:50 pm

Yep, we headed out to the ole teal hole this morning. Scott Baker has a jam up teal hole that the teal didn't visit today ;) We brought along some of the MS Outdoors crew, and we all limited on mosquitoes by 7:00. BUT...the highlight of the morning was when this shoveler (appeared to be a hen but could've been a drake in eclipse plumage) landed, swam up in....I MEAN IN the decoys and sat there for a good 15 minutes. We were being quiet at first, but then we started talking and all. And then....all of us stood up, moved around, walked up and down the bank......SHE STILL SAT THERE not 5 yards from us. Y'all, I'm tellin' ya, that duck was a pure, in-the-natural-form, spoonie straight from Manitoba that had never seen a human in her life. It was amazing to see a duck sit there and not have a care in the world as to what we did.

Well, you gotta find something good in every hunt!

Wingman
ISAIAH 40:31
http://www.fowlmood.com

“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
― Franklin D. Roosevelt
judge jb
Duck South Addict

Postby judge jb » Fri Sep 27, 2002 4:55 pm

Scott Baker needs to get the MDWFP to appropriate some funds for the education of shovelers....haha...... i think they done this a few years ago with Teal, and it must have worked......haha..... haven't killed a limit since....... it only happens when the cameras are rolling.......

judge jb
SB
Duck South Addict

Postby SB » Mon Sep 30, 2002 8:39 am

Rob, Didn't that spoonie say something like, "AFLAC"! We weren't short of spoonies or woodies. If we had wood duck/teal season like FL, TN and KY we would have been in business that morning, oh well.
Scott Baker
feedcall
Duck South Addict

Postby feedcall » Mon Sep 30, 2002 3:19 pm

After last year, I like to refer to them as North American Shovelers. I sure hope there was a good hatch of North American Shovelers this year, because they made the season last year.
bustemcupped

Postby bustemcupped » Mon Sep 30, 2002 8:05 pm

while yall are on the subject of spoonies i gotta tell yall what i killed this year in the early teal season, I guess it was a teal/shovler hybrid cause it was colored exactly like a bluewing teal but it had the head and bill of a shovler , very very humorous as you can imagine
Wingman
Duck South Addict

Postby Wingman » Tue Oct 01, 2002 1:41 am

Hehe, shovelers ARE colored like teal...blue speculum and all. In fact, ever noticed how a bluewing's bill is sorta shovel shaped? I believe they feed the same way, by filtering. But shovelers have that distinct sound to their wingbeat when they get up...if you've heard enough of 'em you know what I mean.

Wingman

SB, went scouting Saturday afternoon, not a teal in the county.

― Franklin D. Roosevelt
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Tue Oct 01, 2002 6:29 am

Wingman, I've often referred to them as "mini" Shovelers.

Audubon says: "The BW Teal, goes through an eclipse phase and molts most of it's feathers simultaneously, including it's primaries, and so is flightless until it's new feathers grow in". Also says: "that this Teal begins courting in the Spring and often does not acquire the familiar breeding plumage until December or January".

It sounds like I was wrong with some of my earlier posted BW Teal theories.

Audubon also says: "Like the closely related BW Teal, the N. Shoveler is among the first ducks to arrive in the fall, and the last to leave in the Spring." And "because it (N. Shoveler) often feeds in stagnant ponds, it is particularly susceptible to botulism, a fatal bacterial food poisoning."

You are what you eat!!
bustemcupped

Postby bustemcupped » Tue Oct 01, 2002 12:58 pm

Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Tue Oct 01, 2002 1:51 pm

Wingman
Duck South Addict

Postby Wingman » Tue Oct 01, 2002 6:30 pm

― Franklin D. Roosevelt
bustemcupped

Postby bustemcupped » Tue Oct 01, 2002 6:52 pm

Yeah man I have to agree shovlers and teal look
exactly the same, and considering that you assume I cant identify my ducks ,
maybe you should look twice

Wingman
Duck South Addict

Postby Wingman » Tue Oct 01, 2002 7:32 pm

Bustem...both of those birds are in FULL BREEDING PLUMAGE as they appear during December and January. During September...few, if any of the members of either species are in full breeding plumage....they are brown and similarly sized. So....if you aren't careful, you might mistakenly shoot a shoveler while on a teal hunt. But..you very well could've shot a cross-duck. It happens all the time.

Wingman

― Franklin D. Roosevelt
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Tue Oct 01, 2002 8:07 pm

Thanks for the photos Butstemcupped. I am not accusing you of anything. I am especially not suggesting that you can't tell them apart in in April. I'm sure you've got a hybrid on your hands. I've never been lucky enough to get a hybrid. Way to go!!

Poor choice of words on my behalf.

This what I was referring to:

http://www.npwrc.usgs.gov/resource/tool ... citeal.htm
http://www.npwrc.usgs.gov/resource/tool ... OVELER.HTM

Look at each cooresponding photo in depicted in these links. It helps to view them side by side in two separate internet sessions.

http://www.npwrc.usgs.gov/resource/tool ... BWTEAL.HTM
http://www.npwrc.usgs.gov/resource/tool ... OVELER.HTM

Just try to look beyond thier full breeding plumage and you might notice how similar they really are, both in appearance and thier habits. I hope this helps.
mallardchaser
Duck South Addict

Postby mallardchaser » Tue Oct 01, 2002 8:36 pm

Good info Wildfowler.
bustemcupped

Postby bustemcupped » Wed Oct 02, 2002 6:25 pm

I understand about plumage changes throughout the seasons , thats not the issue, all I was trying to say is I killed a bird that had the body and coloration of a bluewing teal and the head and bill of a shovler, I was also assured by the local biologist that cross breeds are fairly common. I was however offended by your particular statement suggesting that I couldnt properly identify ducks, but you apoligized and I accept it so its all straight

C-Mack

Return to “General Discussion Forum”