What's a HIP card???

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Unkljohn
Duck South Addict

What's a HIP card???

Postby Unkljohn » Wed Aug 22, 2001 10:52 am

Can someone enlighten me?? The MDWF&P web site says that "Hunters must have a valid hunting license and HIP stamp signed and on their person before going afield" What is a HIP stamp?? Is it a duck stamp??
JT
peewee
Duck South Addict

What's a HIP card???

Postby peewee » Wed Aug 22, 2001 12:41 pm

If you have a sportsman license you should have filled out one of the forms. Look on your license and if it has MB behind your license # thats all you need. That means you filled one out.
GulfCoast
Duck South Addict

What's a HIP card???

Postby GulfCoast » Wed Aug 22, 2001 1:26 pm

I thought that a HIP card was something that said you are as cool and happening as the Judge and Scooter [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
SB
Duck South Addict

What's a HIP card???

Postby SB » Wed Aug 22, 2001 5:49 pm

Anatide, you got some good and accurate info there. You must have talked to somebody with the MDWFP that knew what was going on!!!The printer that got the bid was supposed to have them to the MDWFP by July 1 for the new license year. About a 1 1/2 weeks ago I called him to asked where were they. He made up an excuse and the MDWFP went to the next lowest bidder for the product. They should be in our hands by Mon-Tues. We hope to have them sent out to the license agents by the end of the week. It won't be a problem if you don't have one through the first dove season, but make sure you have one by the second dove season. They are free of charge. Just ask any license agent for one.
go24
Duck South Addict

What's a HIP card???

Postby go24 » Wed Aug 22, 2001 7:55 pm

It won't be long till they decide we have to pay a gov't employee to come sit with you every time we go afield. I'm sick of it!
booger
Veteran

What's a HIP card???

Postby booger » Wed Aug 22, 2001 9:11 pm

Also guys, you must get one for each state you hunt in. They are state, not federal, even though it is a federal mandate. Long story there that I'm not going to attempt.
Anatidae
Duck South Addict

What's a HIP card???

Postby Anatidae » Wed Aug 22, 2001 11:01 pm

Harvest Information Program

Basically, MDWFP's supplier of these survey cards (which help determine harvest rates of migratory birds, including woodcock, etc.) didn't get them printed in time to distribute to the licensing agents (where you buy'em.

If you are checked in the field, this year, you will probably have to fill one out, but will not be charged or fined for not having something that was not available at the time you purchased your license.

It is a sticker that is normally attached to the face of your license, indicating that you participated in the mandatory survey. LA requires one for waterfowl hunting too! It is not to be confused with duck stamps (state or federal).

[ August 22, 2001: Message edited by: Anatidae ]
bwm
Veteran

What's a HIP card???

Postby bwm » Thu Aug 23, 2001 12:01 pm

Did we not fill out a (hip) survey when we renewed our sportsman license? I would think that if you had the annual sportsman's license you would automatically have already registered your (hip) survery? Thoughts? Comments?
Anatidae
Duck South Addict

What's a HIP card???

Postby Anatidae » Thu Aug 23, 2001 12:13 pm

Exactly, SB....'got some of the department's finest folks in our area. [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img] I can always count on'em, to know what's going on.

I also went to the MDWFP website and got a reply from Bill.
Unkljohn
Duck South Addict

What's a HIP card???

Postby Unkljohn » Thu Aug 23, 2001 1:34 pm

That is what I'm thinking too bwm. I remember filling out the survey when I renewed my Sportsmans license by mail. Why or how am I supposed to have that on my person in the field???
JT [img]images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]
chance
Duck South Addict

What's a HIP card???

Postby chance » Thu Aug 23, 2001 1:48 pm

If you look at your sportsman license you will see a MB behind the number. That designates that you filled out the HIP survey.
chance
Duck South Addict

What's a HIP card???

Postby chance » Thu Aug 23, 2001 1:49 pm

The sportsman license had the same thing last year.
Unkljohn
Duck South Addict

What's a HIP card???

Postby Unkljohn » Thu Aug 23, 2001 3:17 pm

That's my point, My license shows that I filled it out already, so how am I supposed to have it "signed and on my person in the field"??? [img]images/smiles/icon_confused.gif[/img]
JT
SB
Duck South Addict

What's a HIP card???

Postby SB » Thu Aug 23, 2001 5:00 pm

If you have the MB (MB=Migratory Bird) on your Sportsman license that is all you need. You signed the check when you sent it in. That signature counts [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] and keep your license on your person while hunting. Sounds like you are perfectly legal. All you need now is for hunting season to open. Keep it safe while having fun.
goosebruce
Duck South Addict

What's a HIP card???

Postby goosebruce » Thu Aug 23, 2001 6:04 pm

So let me git this straight... Im supposed to go back and get a hip card? Bought liscene last sunday in holly springs, told me no hip cards yet...
HIP is a joke anywho. 11+ birds... did I kill 12, or 112? What info can possibly obtained from cking 11+ birds, especially if the average hunter in ms, kill like 17 birds a year... Howd they figger that? Screw em, i aint kilt but 2 ducks in 5 years, and none where mallard, ck that! I did try to get everyone to ck the gallinules box on the arkie liscene coupla years ago, figgered if everyone I knew would ck max box, we could cut the season down on a bird nobody knows what is (took me 3 years to find out what one was btw, and have a confirmed sighting of a purple, and a common gallinule since then). travis

Return to “General Discussion Forum”