Take 'em to Justice Court or leave it alone????

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Seymore
Duck South Addict

Take 'em to Justice Court or leave it alone????

Postby Seymore » Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:03 pm

I bought a laptop in November which came with a year warranty. The receipt states this and that parts and labor are covered. Last month I noticed that the laptop was shutting down for no apparent reason and would switch back and forth from AC to DC. Did some research and long story shot, the power jack was bad.

I took the laptop back to the local computer place where I bought it and they tell me that physical abuse of the laptop is not covered. I tell them I didn't abuse it and they tell me the only way the jack could break is if I jerked the cord out or dropped it. They tell me it will take $200.00 and they will have it fixed in a few days. I pay them the money and pick up my laptop when finished.

I sent an e mail to the manufacture explaining all this and received a reply today. They tell me that I should have sent the laptop to them for repair free of charge as it is covered under warranty.

I take a print out of the e mail and ask the shop owner for my money back. He gets all kind of attitude with me. Says he has to check the "validity" of my e mail and discuss this with the manufacture and he'll get back with me tomorrow.

Depending on what he says tomorrow, should I forget the $200.00 and take it as a lesson learned or should I take them to small claims court?
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. Benjamin Franklin.

Those who can do. Those who can't get on MSDUCKS and try to convince everyone they can.
MSDuckmen
Duck South Addict

Postby MSDuckmen » Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:11 pm

Stand up for what is right regardless.

If you know it was not from abuse and the factory said they will cover it then I say do all you can to get your money back. I would
Faithful Retrievers
Duck South Addict

Postby Faithful Retrievers » Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:25 pm

I would think threat of litigation and them knowing that they will be reimbursed by manufacturer would be enough for them to fold. I guess it depends how important $200.00 bones is to them. Not a lawyer but my opinion is free! I have found it pretty common that people/companies are going to make first attempt to stiff someone to see if they will take action or just take it and move on. Where it really gets me is you have to decide if the money is worth the headache and usually it isn't.
http://www.grizzlyjig.com
"Better to have people think your a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"- Mark Twain
Chocolate Seal
Veteran

Postby Chocolate Seal » Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:27 am

CAN YOUR DOG COUNT?
rjohnson
Duck South Addict

Postby rjohnson » Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:17 am

Try the threatening of small claims court first. I can go ahead and tell you what the repair guy is going to tell the manufacturer. He is going to say that the laptop was abused so the manufacturer will take back what they said and he gets to keep his money.

Lesson to learn here is NEVER EVER let a local guy fix your computer if it's under factory warranty. Plus I would be real skeptical of him fixing it overnight anyway. Usually the power jack inside the laptop is affixed directly to the system board. If that goes bad they usually have to replace the entire system board which takes at a minimum 2 hours of time unless they are really good or from India or China or somewhere. The odds of them having that particular system board in stock is probably slim and none as well. So another scenario is the guy got an attitude because he jury-rigged the thing instead of replacing the whole system board and is scared if it goes back to the factory they will void your warranty and you will up chit creek without a paddle and after his butt.

Man I hope this all turns out well for you. I would get back in touch with the manufacturer and ask them if you can send it to them and have them verify his work is valid.
bullsprig
Veteran

Postby bullsprig » Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:31 am

post the name of the company i dont want to go there!
why worry when you can panic!
Double R 2
Duck South Addict

Postby Double R 2 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:35 am

I'd give Chump & Co. a chance to do the right thing. Call the owner again today and politely follow up. Lawsuit threats make you look like a cheap, desperate "turd-cutter" and if you end up suing, fine, by all means sue but play your cards without first tipping your hand. Secondly, email the manufacturer again (with their original response still intact) and request their participation in your dispute - and /cc Chump & Co. If it's a manufacturer warranty why should the vendor have to be out $200 for the weeks or months it takes the manufacturer to reimburse them - and multiply it over a bunch of products with similar defects...why didn't the manufacturer put the check in the mail to you yesterday to warranty their product instead of shifting blame to Chump & Co. that's just moving the product to consumers?
Ramsey Russell's GetDucks.com® It's duck season somewhere. Full-service, full-time agency specializing in world-wide wingshooting and trophy bird hunts. Toll free 1-866-438-3897. Visit our website to view 100s of client testimonials, 1000s of photos.
rjohnson
Duck South Addict

Postby rjohnson » Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:50 am

Second DR2 in give the Chump & Co. a chance to make it right but if they don't cooperate then the ball's in your court. First thing though computer manufacturers will NEVER send money to a consumer unless it's in the form of a rebate so don't count on receiving a check from them. If they do let me know who Chump & Co. as we'll probably start buying from them. See what they say today and let us know. I've dealt with manufacturers too many times and they'll try to push you around. Might can help you there if you can get some response from them. After it's over also please post up both the vendor and company info so we know who to and who not to deal with.
torch
Duck South Addict

Postby torch » Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:22 am

Hayes Calls Prostaff
Crazy Anglers Pro Staff
Kick's Chokes Pro Staff
Crappie Logic Jigs Pro Staff
F&F Boats Prostaff
Dakota Decoys Prostaff
jacksbuddy
Duck South Addict

Postby jacksbuddy » Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:24 am

Nobody owes you anything.
Seymore
Duck South Addict

Postby Seymore » Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:03 am

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. Benjamin Franklin.

Those who can do. Those who can't get on MSDUCKS and try to convince everyone they can.
JDgator
Duck South Addict

Postby JDgator » Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:24 am

Seymore
Duck South Addict

Postby Seymore » Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:42 pm

Seymore - Why didn't you order your laptop online direct from the maufacturer?[/quote]

I try to patronize local merchants when I can. I had bought a home computer from this place some weeks earlier and after the girls had monopolized it, I needed the laptop. All told, I've gave them about $2000.00 for the pc, laptop, and wireless router. After this experience I probably will do more things online. It's ashame it has come to better customer service online. It has truly become a global economy.

mudsucker
Duck South Addict

Postby mudsucker » Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:14 pm

I am not a lawer, but play a sea lawer on a dredgeboat! :D :idea: Sue the piss out of them and own "Chump & Co."(great name RR2!).
Long Live the Black Democrat!
GEAUX LSU!
WHO DAT!
DO,DU AND DW!
Seymore
Duck South Addict

Postby Seymore » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:05 am

This local bozo is beligerent as a fence post. I called the manufacture tech line this morning and they basically told me the same thing. If I had sent the laptop to them, they would have fixed it under warranty. Since I paid the retailer to do it, it's between me and them. They gave me a service number and told me to have the retailer call and give that number and they would read the notes from our conversation to him verbatim.

I called the retailer and he is sticking by his guns. Said he would call and have their policy posted to the id number. He confirmed they are both a distributor and retailer for this manufacture. The manufacture told me I had been screwed.

I'm pissed. It's about principal now. He's got until sun down and then it's Justice Court at 20 paces. :evil: :evil:

Return to “General Discussion Forum”