Coming to a WMA near you!

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Anatidae
Duck South Addict

Postby Anatidae » Mon Aug 13, 2001 4:33 pm

I am planning a hunt to Yourfavorite WMA, this Fall and would appreciate ANY information your care to share, HOWEVER, out of respect for the other waterfowlers that hunt Yourfavorite WMA, please e-mail me....I don't want to contribute to the over-crowding, already prevalent at Yourfavorite WMA by blabbing everything over the World Wide Web, for everybody and his brother-in-law from the other 49 states, to see. I can only imagine how that would make the regular hunters at Yourfavorite WMA feel. [img]images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

How do ya'll feel about folks that <UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Ask about specific hunting spots on the internet, [img]images/smiles/icon_mad.gif[/img] AND<LI>Continually divulge information that the 'local boys' learn, the old fashioned way...time, experience, and hard work.</UL>

Nothing makes my butt draw-up tighter than seeing any 'public area' mentioned on the internet. [img]images/smiles/icon_mad.gif[/img] I wonder why people that respond to these requests don't do so via e-mail. (Of course that depends on how specific the information is). Most of the time, we (humans) tend to give folks the benefit of the doubt, when it comes to requests that seem innocent, but ANY info can be potentially damaging to the quality of hunting in that area and, likewise , the folks that regularly hunt it, especially DURING and AS THE SEASON APPROACHES.

I guess some folks just like to inflate their egos by offering some bit of information that they think nobody else knows.....'just want to show how 'in-the-know' they are. Well, that just proves how little they really know, because of the disasterous results that can RUIN what use to be a 'good' place to hunt.

I get on this soapbox, every year, because I've seen the effects of sharing too much information over the internet.

What do you do about it? Adopt a 'don't ask, don't tell' policy (LOCKJAW). If you want to know if the ducks are at Yourfavorite WMA, then call a friend that you can confide in (and visa-versa), or better yet, GO HUNTING! On the other hand, if you want to share info with a total stranger about Yourfavorite WMA, out of respect for the other folks that hunt there too, just send'em an e-mail. That way, you won't have to compete with not only THAT GUY, but the other 50 some-odd folks that saw your post.

You have to use your head every now and then.......blabbing ain't too smart, if you want to have a good place to hunt.

I hope everybody will think about this and HAVE A GOOD SEASON.......it's just right around the corner, let's get it started right!

Thanks for reading this.....it's an on-going concern of mine....and others, here.

[ August 14, 2001: Message edited by: Anatidae ]
goosebruce
Duck South Addict

Postby goosebruce » Mon Aug 13, 2001 5:26 pm

I would imagine as much non info, or bad info, is given as good info. First off, most folks that would tell a total stranger specific info, probably aint all that anywho. Secondly, I think lots of people get off on giving someone bad info. If I hunted north wma, bet yur ass Id tell every so and so I could, that south wma is hammering them, all day, every day. I lie about where I killed my ducks on private land a lot of times, you thinky Id tell someone on public land? travis
akincaid

Postby akincaid » Mon Aug 13, 2001 7:17 pm

Sorry fellows I didn't want gps reading just helpful hints. Motel,hotel places to eat etc. We don't get alot of ducks here in Florida. I do enjoy the hunt though. I don't expect info. on where to kill a limit just a place I can scout,hunt,and if lucky see a decoying mallard or two. If all this come together and I am real lucky my dog will even pick it up. I didn't mean to step on toes, just looking for a little help. Sorry if I intruded. Thank You
CSA Duckhunter

Postby CSA Duckhunter » Tue Aug 14, 2001 8:37 am

The guys who kill ducks keep there mouths shut! If you do feel like you need to talk, lie!!!!! I am from S.C. and my hunting partner and I have great success on public land in a state where ducks are no longer numerous. We live on the coast and really get after it. All these rubberheads from the mid and upper state love to get on the internet and start yapping, asking, and revealing how freaking stupid they are. They really do not have a clue about duckhunting. They do about 80% of their scouting on the internet. Sometimes I get on there and stir the pot. Those idoits actually beleive all the false info I give them [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] Anyway, I hunt in MS twice a year. My hunting partner is originally from there. We respect all of the local hunters and would never ask them to give us sacred info! We hunt on public land there as well with success and we refuse to give any info. to the locals here in SC about MS!
Anatidae
Duck South Addict

Postby Anatidae » Tue Aug 14, 2001 9:13 am

Tarmast.....This was not directed at YOU. In fact, you're one of the few people requesting information, that have done so 'the proper way' IMO, (being considerate of the local folks)....and believe me, I genuinely appreciate the way you have approached your quest for information.

It's only coincidental that I was composing this thread during the same time-frame that you made your request for info on another thread.

There are, however those who don't realize (or maybe not even care, for that matter) what consequences some suffer, due to lack of forethought and/or consideration, and that is cause for concern. Mutual trust and respect among hunters is a fragile thing, these days (trust being almost a thing of the past) and sharing information becomes a delicate balance of 'give and take.'

I'm not going into the drawbacks of discussing hunting spots on the internet....the potentially damaging effect it can have, should be blatently obvious. I would like to see folks on this board exercise 'voluntary restraint' and adopt the slogan 'Just Say NOTHIN' when folks want to know about specific public areas, at least not on the forum. E-mail?....fine!

My favorite example of what can happen to public hunting grounds is to look at Arkansas, now. The over-crowding has increased because duck hunting is heavily promoted as 'tourism'. They've even got a book called The Arkansas Waterfowler's Almanac (what I call 'The Idiots Guide to HOW-TO Screw-Up the Local Boys' Duck Hunting.....obviously written by a well-intentioned soul who, probably has NEVER hunted anything other than private and leased property.) Everytime I see certain areas mentioned, I crenge, realizing that there are folks that grew-up and hunted there all their lives, who now have to contend with the 'flood' of hunters.....doesn't matter whether those hunters are seasoned or novice...they're just more baggage they have to deal with in what used to be a wonderfully glorious, time-honored ritual. It's been reduced to a free-for-all, dog-eat-dog, competition to see who can gain an advantage over their neighbor. That's sad when you think about it, isn't it? Well, guys, it could and possibly will happen to Mississippi, if we don't do something to halt the flow of information. Do you want it to reach the point you have to 'draw' from a daily lottery at Yourfavorite WMA? I don't!

As Goosebruce pointed out.....how do you know that the information is truthful, or just a smoke-screen to pawn you off on somebody else's 'hallowed ground'?

No, I applaud how you approached your request, Tarmast....'wish others would follow suit. Look me up, when you get to MSU. Somebody that shows that much consideration, deserves a few 'tips'. Send me a valid e-mail address so we can tell you when the next Starkville Gun Club Cookout/Shoot will be. [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]
GulfCoast
Duck South Addict

Postby GulfCoast » Tue Aug 14, 2001 9:55 am

I was not aware that there were public duck hunting areas in Mississippi. Guess you learn something new every day [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
akincaid

Postby akincaid » Tue Aug 14, 2001 3:50 pm

I understand completely. My e-mail address is ajm2@wfeca.net Thank You
judge jb
Duck South Addict

Postby judge jb » Tue Aug 14, 2001 6:19 pm

i knew there was some reason why i couldn't find ducks in goosebruces' holes... he was sand-baggin me the whole time... another smoke-screen...... if any of you fellows slip in my hole, stop by the shack for food and a cold one.... then i will issue a warrant....haha....

judge jb
goosebruce
Duck South Addict

Postby goosebruce » Tue Aug 14, 2001 9:13 pm

Public duck hunting in mississippi gc? Hell, aint even no season for ducks round here. Nope, no ducks at all. Now deer hunting, lots of dem big buggers round. Yeah, gotta kill a sackfull o ducks to git a 1/4 of a deer, I suggest folks spend mo time chasing them big things. travis
peewee
Duck South Addict

Postby peewee » Wed Aug 15, 2001 9:25 am

I heard all the deer packed up and moved East, I believe all we have to hunt around here now is jackalopes.
duckhuntalot
Veteran

Postby duckhuntalot » Wed Aug 22, 2001 9:51 am

Well how big do the jackalopes get around here anyway? There sure doesn't look to be much for them to eat this year. I haven't planted my food plots yet what might one use?
peewee
Duck South Addict

Postby peewee » Wed Aug 22, 2001 12:54 pm

Carrots, they like carrots and greens also.
LODI QUACKER
Duck South Addict

Postby LODI QUACKER » Fri May 18, 2007 9:16 am

missed mallards
Duck South Addict

Postby missed mallards » Fri May 18, 2007 10:50 am

cwink
Duck South Sponsor

Postby cwink » Fri May 18, 2007 11:47 am

http://safefireshooting.com/
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them"
-George Washington

Return to “General Discussion Forum”