Blinds And Dogs

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
luv2hunt

Blinds And Dogs

Postby luv2hunt » Tue Sep 10, 2002 9:42 am

wngrog
Regular

Postby wngrog » Tue Sep 10, 2002 9:54 am

bear
Regular

Postby bear » Tue Sep 10, 2002 10:24 am

Bear
Red_Head
Regular

Postby Red_Head » Tue Sep 10, 2002 4:01 pm

I am willing to bet that if you can get a good idea of how the avery blind is built, you can get the supplies from the hardware store (or very close) for way the hell less than 600.00. And work just as well.

As for a Chessy, I know a couple a trainers in the Jackson area that will not even take them in. They are really hardheaded dogs... Once trained probably very fine dogs. Training them is the problem. Someone on this site will probably own one and I've stepped on their toes. If so sorry. Just love the Lab. You will get alot more satisfaction out of training the dog yourself if you have the time. TIME...
IF THEY SHOW ORANGE, CUT'EM
Dutch Dog
Duck South Addict

Postby Dutch Dog » Tue Sep 10, 2002 4:42 pm

I built a blind that was similar to an avery for my boat for about $50 for the framework and it will probably take about $100 to camo it properly. all total @$150. I personally don't like that curly hair on chessies. It looks as if they bred a chocolate lab with a poodle.
Big Lou
Veteran

Postby Big Lou » Tue Sep 10, 2002 4:51 pm

I have been extreamely satisfied with my Avery and it does help the resell value of your boat. I paid someone to put mine on and it was the best money I ever spent.

As far as dogs go.......

I have judged both Lab and Cheese in AKC hunt test and have passed both. The trainers that have been doing this a while will tell you that a lab is more receptive to training. I own two labs myself and enjoyed the many hours of training everyday while I had the time. It brings great pride to watch the little ligh bulb go off in their heads when they figure out what you are trying to teach them. tehy want to please you so much! whatchin a puppy mature into an adult hunting partner is a real treat if you have the time to invest in one or the money ot get some help when you get busy. Buying a started dog is OK, but you lose that bond that you get when you raise them from a puppy. even if you get a pro to help you with the basics and force fetch, since they are both very importeant to have done right, you still get that puppy bond to master relationship for the first six months. I would consultant with as many dog trainers as I could to try and locate a goooooooood dog! Now saying that I must say that you do not have to spend a $1000 dollars on a good dog, but I would spend more that $400. They are things you want to look for in a puppy. You want to take a bird with you to see if which one will chase it. You want to hold the on their back to see how they respond to handling, do they just lay there and do they fight you? Consultant good dog people that have been around good dogs. I can recomend a few good litters coming soon if you would like, just PM me for details if I can help you in any way!
wngrog
Regular

Postby wngrog » Tue Sep 10, 2002 5:17 pm

judge jb
Duck South Addict

Postby judge jb » Tue Sep 10, 2002 7:11 pm

ducman77
Duck South Addict

Postby ducman77 » Tue Sep 10, 2002 7:25 pm

shoot'm in the lips
Caller1
Duck South Addict

Postby Caller1 » Tue Sep 10, 2002 8:29 pm

Sound familiar?
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -Thomas Jefferson
From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.- Karl Marx
the doctor
Duck South Addict

Postby the doctor » Wed Sep 11, 2002 12:25 pm

caller1 you aint know expert on nuttin'

i guess when you get on the internet it make you feel smart or something

you dont even own an avery blind and i cant remember a time when you may have hunted out of one if you did what was so great about it the fact that you thought you might be able to borrow it someday!

as far as the dog situation you might want ot mention your training methods:

(throw dummy) Back!
now see bell how kyle brings back the dummy?
your turn bell
GulfCoast
Duck South Addict

Postby GulfCoast » Wed Sep 11, 2002 12:34 pm

I have had both an Avery and a Beavertail. Of the two, Beavertail is a much better blind for how I hunt. The Avery is not even close. I sold it and the 12 pounds of extra hardware that came with it. Beavertail requires no drilling and it takes about 18 minutes to put it together.
So many ducks, so little time....

HRCH (500) UH Ellie Mae MH (2005-2017)
HRCH Tipsy MH
Zsa-Zsa Puppy
goosebruce
Duck South Addict

Postby goosebruce » Wed Sep 11, 2002 12:41 pm

Its hard to beat a good chessie... Hell, they'll take a small stick away from you, you need at least a 2x4!

Chessies are very SSSSSSSSSSSLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWW to mature (compared to labs). All timetables are out the window when your talking chessies. Your not going to pressure a chessie to do anything, they do things when they think its a good ideal. Tough as they are, most are very senstive to training pressure, and don't give you the margin of error a lab would. In short, a first time dog trainer will have a tougher longer time to end up with as much as a lab (if he's lucky) with the same effort applied.

Remember what chessies where bred for. Big water, lots of ice. Not for a mississippi dove field. Not saying they can't do it, but we gets lots more heat than cold here.

Chessies seem to have more hip problems than even labs do. All the hunt in the world wont make up for a dog that hurts when he stands up.

I'll second the comment... git a lab. A black en. travis
Caller1
Duck South Addict

Postby Caller1 » Tue Sep 17, 2002 2:40 pm

Dear dear doctor,

Relax, brace yourself, maybe even have a seat (never mind , as if you were up doing anything). Just because you've never been hunting without me, you ready for this, I do go hunting without you!!! :D Ergo, I have seen more and farther than you know!

"When you encounter difficulties and contradictions, do not try to break them; bend them with gentleness and time."---St. Francis de Sales

That goes for doctor and dogs.
Sound familiar?
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -Thomas Jefferson
From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.- Karl Marx

Return to “General Discussion Forum”