The Pope and Chop club (2006/2007 season)

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Grommet
Duck South Addict

Postby Grommet » Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:11 pm

"Just because you are a character doesn't mean you have character." Mr. Wolf
msbigdawg1234
Duck South Addict

Postby msbigdawg1234 » Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:08 pm

My hats off to WJW. Very impressive.DR2 we ned to make sure he gets a invite to the next WB function.Prob has some good stories
Warren H. Womack

Postby Warren H. Womack » Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:39 pm

Double R 2, Thank You.

Your right, no fancy wheels or pullies on my Acadian Woods recurve bow. I made this kill out of a treestand. Here's the story of that hunt.

For this morning, I decided to hunt an area that I had scouted a couple of weeks ago. During that time I had watched 4 deer for about 20 minutes and was able to pattern their movement. They took the easy way and crossed under a fence, where it was stretched over a creek.

I gave them time to clear the area then went to their crossing spot to figure out the best set up for intercepting that movement. In the direction they were traveling I found, what I thought was, the perfect set up. Not only was it a travel area but also there were three different types of Oaks. All three have acorns but not mature and ready to drop, yet. I drilled the Cow Oak for a South wind hunt and the Red Oak for a North wind hunt. The Water Oak formed a triangle with the other two oaks.

I made it to the tree before first light and climbed the, pre-drilled Red Oak to take advantage of the predicted North wind. I was settled and ready for 6:45 AM. This is the coldest and weather wise the best morning of the season. Temperatures are down near the 30's but I'm dressed warm and very comfortable.

There was a lot of squirrel activity, they seemed to be everywhere and it was 7:35 when I saw a deer coming in from the Southeast. It didn't take long to see it was a buck that looked like a cow horn spike. He was coming in good but when he got inside 15 yards his body language changed. Even though he went on alert he continued to close to 10 yards. I had stood up and gotten in position for a shot, when he went behind the Water Oak.

He stepped clear of the Water Oak, looked up and pegged me. The wind was forecasted to be out of the North but at this point there wasn't any wind. I think my scent must have settled and stayed in the area. I was up 20 feet, the tree was big, plus there was a lot of canopy between us.

After a lot of head pumping he ran away but made a fatal mistake of stopping. He was a long ways off but I could see him through a hole in the tree limbs. I figured if I could get an arrow through that hole I had a chance. He was broadside when I shot but turned away before the arrow got to him. I saw the arrow hit him but I thought I had shot him low in the hindquarter, so I waited 2 hours before climbing down.

On the ground I stepped off the shot, it was 38, long steps. I didn't see any blood but had a good compass bearing the way he had ran. On my first pass, I went too far to the left, thinking he had left the open woods for a near by thicket, along the creek. On the way back, to make a second run, I swung wide in the open woods and saw him. I was surprised to see he was a 6 point. The arrow had hit him, in front of his hindquarter and the off shoulder prevented a pass through.

He had only went 80 yards and my shot had been about as perfect as it could have been. Like they say, sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.

I was shooting a Simmons 190 grain Interceptor that Gary Pilling of Simmons System Archery, had sent me. It did an awesome job. The only problem was pulling it out. Looks like if you get one in a deer, without a total pass through, it's going to be in the deer when you find him, but that's a good thing.

After pictures, some show & tell video, I did the fieldquartering thing, filling up my ALICE pack. I was soon ready to load everything up for the half a mile walk out.
bradrussell5
Veteran

Postby bradrussell5 » Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:45 am

Double R 2
Duck South Addict

Postby Double R 2 » Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:10 am

Great read, Mr. Womack. I hope you'll be able to join us for DuckSouth.com crawfish this spring.
Ramsey Russell's GetDucks.com® It's duck season somewhere. Full-service, full-time agency specializing in world-wide wingshooting and trophy bird hunts. Toll free 1-866-438-3897. Visit our website to view 100s of client testimonials, 1000s of photos.
Warren H. Womack

Postby Warren H. Womack » Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:59 am

bradrussell5, Thank you, writing a story of all my kills is just another form of my record keeping.

Cow Oak, Swamp Chestnut and Basket Oak are different, accepted, names for the same tree. I called a Water Oak a Pin Oak for years before I found out it is actually a Water Oak. It took me awhile to be comfortable saying and writing Water Oak instead of Pin Oak.

My broadhead and arrow combination did a great job. It was my first time to shoot an Interceptor head. I figured it would be good for a close, feed tree type shot but had doubts about a long shot. I was wrong, as I mentioned the shot was 38 long steps and I had a good chance to see the arrow in flight. It was perfect.

My bow really likes to shoot 2215 aluminum arrows. In reference to the hole, the arrow and broadhead made, here are some pictures.

This is the way I found him.

The off side shoulder prevented a pass though

The broadhead and hole after I finally got the arrow out.

Deer quartered, in the ALICE pack, with my equipment, ready to pack out.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Double R 2, Thank you I'm glad you enjoyed it. I don't know anything about the "DuckSouth.com crawfish this spring" but it sounds interesting.

BTW, I'm comfortable with just being called Warren, no need for the Mr. Womack.
tombstone
Duck South Addict

Postby tombstone » Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:13 pm

Wow, Mr Womack. Very good read and very impressive. Thank you for your contribution. I will certainly look forward to more posts from you.
There will be a day....
feather
Veteran

Postby feather » Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:25 am

Mr. Womack I had no idea you were the real deal. I'm glad you answered my post as you did and VERY happy you told us about the details of your hunt. I wrongly assumed you were like someone I once knew who for many years killed twenty and more deer each year...all shapes and sizes. I mean no disrespect to you and eagerly look forward to future post authored by you. Really fascinating material. Thanks!
"Locked, cocked and ready to rock, doc"..Ted Nugent
Warren H. Womack

Postby Warren H. Womack » Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:31 am

tombstone, Thank you.

I've been a registered member here for quite awhile. It's a really good site. I enjoy checking in and reading about people and events here in our area of the world. But... I actually spend most of my Internet time at http://www.outdoorcore.com. It's a relative new site and I'm one of the original members.

The site draws a lot of Traditional Bowhunters but has a forum that covers just about everything outdoor related. There's even a segment that's called "The Womack Journal". I post a kill story there, from my records, on a weekly basis during the off season.

<><><><><><><><><>

feather, no problem. I was not offended by your original post and appreciate your last one.

I've never considered myself "the real deal". I'm just an average hunter that has spent a more than average amount of time in the woods.
Dutch Dog
Duck South Addict

Postby Dutch Dog » Sat Dec 23, 2006 5:44 pm

Warren, I sent you a PM...with this new system...you have to be told about it before you'll know it's there unless you get notification via e-mail. Been quite a while since I've talked to you, glad to see you ventured back here. Funny thing about all this is that I probably wouldn't even know about you if I hadn't seen your video on the shelf in the video shop. The video is great. If you haven't seen it, I recommend watching it to anyone. It's by far my favorite, and most watched in my video collection. I'm still anxiously awaiting the release of "volume II" :wink: Glad to see you are still setting em up and knocking em down.
It's better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.
Warren H. Womack

Postby Warren H. Womack » Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:41 pm

Dutch Dog, It's good to hear from you. Thanks for the heads up on the PM. Your right, I didn't know I had one.

The site has really grown and looking good. I'm looking forward to spending more time here.

Actually, I've got a video project in progress. I'm going through all my Traditional Bowhunting footage and making a series of DVDs. I've completed two that are an hour long, each. I'm not sure how many I'll have to make, to go through all my collected footage. I've titled them "Traditional Bowhunting" with a sub title of "On Stand with Warren H. Womack".

Since I've talked with you, I've had the opportunity to do some spot and stalk hog hunting. I was able to get enough footage for 5 videos. One of the arrow impact shots was on a 230 pound sleeping boar.

When we first spotted him, we thought he was dead. I eased up to about 6 yards and heard him snoring. I wasn't able to shoot because he was laying on his side, head on. I backed off and circled around a thicket while the camera man set up, 15 yards, in front of the hog.

When I got in position for the shot I was less than 6 yards and the shot was perfect. That boar looked like a bomb went off under him. If anyone ever ask you, which way does a hog run when he gets shot, while sleeping, tell them the way his nose is pointing. He ran straight towards the camera man.

I don't know how the camera man held his ground. All he had between this charging boar and himself was a 3" diameter willow sapling. I don't know if he was that good or just froze. He held his ground and the footage was perfect. That boar turned just enough to not run over him, at a distance of 4 feet.

The footage was awesome. With the hog laying on his side, the ground prevented a pass through and the footage shows the arrow sticking out equally, on both sides.

From the video footage:

Head on.

After he veered off.

Myself and the camera man.

Warren
Dutch Dog
Duck South Addict

Postby Dutch Dog » Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:42 pm

You'll need to let us all know (especially me) when the new videos are ready for release. As you know I do a little hog hunting myself. I have to say that we don't hunt them SOUTH Louisiana tuskers like y'all do, but we hunt em all the same. As before, I believe the folks on here welcome your input and vast wealth of knowledge. Stick around, as you said, it's growing.
It's better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.
big buck
Regular

Postby big buck » Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:39 am

Chipper
Veteran

Postby Chipper » Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:50 am

This is like hunting with my sister's kids!
Warren H. Womack

Postby Warren H. Womack » Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:37 am

Return to “General Discussion Forum”