Self-imposed limits

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Don Miller
Duck South Addict

Self-imposed limits

Postby Don Miller » Wed Aug 07, 2002 11:54 pm

M.B. Waters, Are you sure you live in Louisana? I thought you good ole boys from the pelican state didn't cull anything. Just Kidding [img]images/smiles/icon_razz.gif[/img] I like the idea of giving back, especially the DW hen houses. I just don't understand the logic of it being legal to take 2 hen mallards in a limit. I can understand 1 as a mistaken idenity at day break. They want let you shoot egg laying pheasants and there is good reason for it. All be damned if I understand the logic of being able to fill half of your mallard limit with hens. It just doesn't make sense.
[img]images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]
feedcall
Duck South Addict

Self-imposed limits

Postby feedcall » Thu Aug 08, 2002 10:16 am

I think Olson said those hen houses are about 20 dollars each(the elevated ones). I can't remember. If lots of people would have a hen-killer pot at their camp, and send the money in an envelope at the end of the season to Delta, Rob Olson would make sure that it went to hen houses. We have been told that any money we raise in Miss. can go towards anything we want. Voluntary restraint on hens will make a difference in itself, but sending additional money to build houses will make a huge difference. You can also request that the money go toward predator management. Delta has shown that both make an incredible difference in nest success rate.
tupe
Veteran
Location: MS/LA/IL/WI/ND and anywhere else I can get to. Born in MS.

Self-imposed limits

Postby tupe » Thu Aug 08, 2002 11:04 pm

The $20 figure sounds about right. I was told $35 but I also asked about yearly upkeep.
Great program. We should all spend a few extra dollars on this kind of stuff.
What a great gift idea for Christmas and birthdays for your hunting friends and family.

M.B.
Shoot'em in the Mouth
Regular

Self-imposed limits

Postby Shoot'em in the Mouth » Fri Aug 09, 2002 8:14 am

I can't tell you guys how good it is to read all these responses. I hope it's not a bunch of "Talking Large & Meaning Nothing".. Come January I hope we can all say that we don't have enough to send in for a Hen House. If that's the case, how bout saying now that your club will donate enough $$$ for atleast 5 hen houses. It's purely a WIN WIN for us all!!! Thanks for all your comments!!!

[img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
tupe
Veteran
Location: MS/LA/IL/WI/ND and anywhere else I can get to. Born in MS.

Self-imposed limits

Postby tupe » Fri Aug 09, 2002 8:24 am

It's a great idea. I mean think about it, by the latest counts there are about 1.6 minnion duck hunters. If every hunting group of 4 hunters payed for one hen house that would be 400,000 of them in place in one year. First year selection on them is above 50% second year above 80% with an average success rate of over 40%.
Thats a hell of a lot of little ducks fellas.
I would love to hear about a grass roots movement like this.
For my part, no matter how my season works out I plan on buying at least a few myself and I am giving them as cgristmas gifts to my family.
Delta was formed on one hunters idea of putting back more than he took. I hope to be able to do the same.
We all know that weather is key and that forcasting is a guess at best, but if we are in a dry cycle we had better make the most of the nesting area and birds we have.

M.B.
gator
Duck South Sponsor

Self-imposed limits

Postby gator » Sat Aug 10, 2002 8:03 pm

shoot em, man, you and i are thinking alike...hope that doesn't scare ya, but you beat me to the punch on this board...i've been white-waterin and haven't been near a puter...i have been thinking of a 3 duck limit just for myself...i hunt all public so the others i hunt w/ can do what they want, but the way i figure, and like the old song goes, you've got to stand for something...besides i couldn't hit sand if'n i fell out a boat, so it really won't be that bad...
Double_R
Regular

Self-imposed limits

Postby Double_R » Mon Aug 12, 2002 8:11 am

Great post. It's a great ideal for which to strive. I aint perfect but for the past couple of years have tried to shoot drakes only all species. Painted on the inside of my boat are the words "NO HENS $5 OR SWIM". Most folks here have killed plenty to where it's not about numbers anymore and waiting out the drakes adds a little more to the hunt, especially when the ducks are really flying. I challenge everyone to jump on the wagon and give it a try.
wngrog
Regular

Self-imposed limits

Postby wngrog » Tue Aug 13, 2002 1:33 pm

Topics like this are funny when they are offering generous limits and generous hunting days, but if the ducks are a scarce as they were last year, it does not matter how many they let you shoot or how many days to do it.

If the ducks are scarce, the hens die. Sad but true. [img]images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]
Delta Duck
Duck South Addict

Self-imposed limits

Postby Delta Duck » Tue Aug 13, 2002 4:30 pm

We started the $5 hen deal in the Delta Waterfowl VR program about 15 years ago. We got out of it because we quit shooting hens.
When it comes to self imposed limits mine will be out as much as possible. I enjoy staying all day if need be.

Some may think that is not a very conservationist tude, but I work on some kind of habitat improvements year round.

I enjoy the habitat work and I enjoy shooting ducks even more.

I think it is a good idea for ya'll that don't put any sweat into any habitat work to put a self imposed limit of 3 ducks and 10 days.
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Self-imposed limits

Postby Wildfowler » Wed Aug 14, 2002 12:49 pm

DD, I'm sold. But good luck trying to sell 10 days/3 ducks to the rest of the bunch. I just don't think they'll go for it.
the doctor
Duck South Addict

Postby the doctor » Thu Aug 22, 2002 9:53 am

for what it is worth our group has been charging 25 per mallard hen each year and sending the money to delta waterfowl for the past three years

they love it and give us all memberships basically fro free and use the money to adopt a pot hole

we were going to pool the money to help fund our hunting endeavors but if there arent any ducks what are we there for

glad to see others "voluntarily restraining" i know delta is too

the doctor
torch
Duck South Addict

Postby torch » Thu Aug 22, 2002 11:25 am

DOCTOR DOCTOR GIVE ME SOME NEWS! WHAT HAPPENED TO KILL UM ALL AND LET THE DOG SORT UM. I AM GLAD TO SEE THAT MOST HUNTERS RESTRAIN FROM SHOOTING HENS, EXCEPT BIG CLIFF. YOU COULD HAVE 1000 GREENHEADS COME IN WITH ONE HEN AND HE WOULD KILL THE HEN EVERYTIME
the doctor
Duck South Addict

Postby the doctor » Thu Aug 22, 2002 12:28 pm

you got to watch ole fat mac he dont hit em too good but when he do dey usually is hens

ol king he usually too squinty eyed to hit anyting
his choctaw name ole squinty eye
dat mean one who have de road map eyes

shoot um all and let de dog sort um out
dat come from around shelby i tink?

is a good ting fat mac shoot de criminals wit a lil mo precision
oh wait he at de donut shop

the doctor

What kind of duck is that?
it looks like a canadien white mallard

Return to “General Discussion Forum”