Self-imposed limits

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Shoot'em in the Mouth
Regular

Self-imposed limits

Postby Shoot'em in the Mouth » Wed Aug 07, 2002 9:07 am

Just wondering how many of you out there are going to put a limit on yourself since we have been awarded such a liberal bag limit this year. I hadn't decided fully yet but it's looking like 4 birds, and $25.00 fine for anyone who shoots a Suzy while hunting with me. All $$$ will be donated to Delta Waterfowl. Curious on your input?? [img]images/smiles/icon_confused.gif[/img]
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Self-imposed limits

Postby Wildfowler » Wed Aug 07, 2002 10:26 am

Realistically, I think most of us will take what we get, and use it fully. I will pledge to not intentionally kill hens this year. Not just Mallards, but any species. I used to be very religious about not shooting Mallard hens. But fell off the wagon a few years ago. This year I will renew and extend my pledge to include not shooting all hens this year. And I can also say that I will only hunt about 45 days this year. Not 60.

Just my opinion.

[ August 07, 2002: Message edited by: Wildfowler ]
Super-X
Veteran

Self-imposed limits

Postby Super-X » Wed Aug 07, 2002 10:39 am

If'n it's like las year wuz.... no need [img]images/smiles/icon_mad.gif[/img]
I managed a 6 bird limit one day..... only cuz those smiley's came by to finish up with [img]images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]
MSDuckmen
Duck South Addict

Self-imposed limits

Postby MSDuckmen » Wed Aug 07, 2002 1:01 pm

OH my lord where are these people from? What is going on here? I posted agaisnt killing hens and took a booty chewing all last season.
Where are the boys that were talking about you can't stock pile birds. Killing hens want hurt anything.
Dang just born before my time. [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Good post guys I'm glad to see you doing it.
tupe
Veteran
Location: MS/LA/IL/WI/ND and anywhere else I can get to. Born in MS.

Self-imposed limits

Postby tupe » Wed Aug 07, 2002 2:00 pm

Don,
Truth be told I was born and raised over on that side of the river, hunting a little place known as Tupelo Brake.
Learned from the greatest outlaw the south delta ever knew, and followed his example as he turned toward conservation.
Been a long road but I now know the error of my ways and hope to one day be able to say that I put back more than I take each year.

M.B.
Don Miller
Duck South Addict

Self-imposed limits

Postby Don Miller » Wed Aug 07, 2002 2:25 pm

Amen M.B., I've been there, done that as well. I still like to pull the trigger, but if they closed the season on ducks, I would be out there to watch ducks work my decoy spread. With age comes wisdom and I think alot of true conservationist were on the other side of the fence at one time or another. I really like your idea about the DW hen houses. That is truly giving back. We may do the same at my duck club this season.
tupe
Veteran

Self-imposed limits

Postby tupe » Wed Aug 07, 2002 2:34 pm

Thanks Don. In case you guys around here wanted to start such a thing I'll tell you what we did.
Each person is allow to set their own penalties for hens of any given species. I set mine as follows

mallard $5
pintail $10
Scaup $5
Gadwals $2
Widgeon $2
etc.
Another member mentioned a cripple loss fine and I add that to my list
Lost bird $2

At the end of the waterfowl season all us members fo WFDC who signed up will pool the money and send it off to Delta with it specified to be used for new hen houses. Though the season we are going to keep a razzing board so we can give each other greif about shootin hens. It should be fun and I would encourage all clubs to put in such a program.
Like I said set your own fines, we got one guy going as high as $50 and others as low as $1 but it all goes straight back to make more ducks.

M.B.
Don Miller
Duck South Addict

Self-imposed limits

Postby Don Miller » Wed Aug 07, 2002 2:58 pm

M.B., I want to thank you for putting me in touch with John Devney at Delta. He is coming to the Outdoor Show in Greenwood, Ms. Sept. 13,14 and 15 to give a seminar about DW and answer questions. We will have a booth set up. There are still a lot of hard core duck hunters in my area that has never heard of Delta. Hopefully we can put Delta in the delta.
tupe
Veteran

Self-imposed limits

Postby tupe » Wed Aug 07, 2002 3:06 pm

Your welcome. I have talked to John about our hen house plan and he is helping me out with information and stats on success rates an dsuch to drum up interest.
Our chapter here in Shreveport had a few stumbles but we are back on our feet and ready to go. Might not get one off this fall but we already have a clays shoot planned for the spring.
John is a good guy, I wish I was able to get over that way to see him while he is down.
Try to keep him out of the heat, those northern boys don't do so good in the MS delta in Aug.

We have gone way off topic her. I hope everyone will forgive.

M.B.
laduck
Veteran

Self-imposed limits

Postby laduck » Wed Aug 07, 2002 4:48 pm

I guess that I shoot anything, I am from La.
Now who out there can tell a blue wing hen at first light? If you can Please come on down and go with me so you can help this poor old blind man from La. Also, which of you can help me with the mottled ducks? Have a good year and I hope that we all shoot
nothing but drakes. Jack [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Shoot them sprigs on their first pass!
tupe
Veteran

Self-imposed limits

Postby tupe » Wed Aug 07, 2002 5:02 pm

Man I couldn't tell a mottled hen from drake if they were biting me. Never seen one. Teal, well some times.
The toughest one around my area is gadwalls, yeah it is tough but you can do it and I believe it make a diffenence. Besides, it just makes me feel good.

M.B.
GulfCoast
Duck South Addict

Self-imposed limits

Postby GulfCoast » Wed Aug 07, 2002 8:19 pm

The only way to tell a mottled duck hen from a drake is the hen blushes after she poots. [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] I only shoot drakes of species where I can pick out the hens. For gadwalls, mottled ducks, and black ducks, I assume its a drake when it hits the water. I assume it was a hen if I miss.
SoftCall
Duck South Addict

Self-imposed limits

Postby SoftCall » Wed Aug 07, 2002 10:12 pm

I am with Wildfowler. Nothing but Drakes this year. I'll even pick the shots on the Greenwings. We aren't going to impose fines, but everyone in my lease is on board with it.
MSDuckmen
Duck South Addict

Self-imposed limits

Postby MSDuckmen » Wed Aug 07, 2002 11:00 pm

Good post Shoot'em in the Mouth
Can I join your club? [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
tupe
Veteran

Self-imposed limits

Postby tupe » Wed Aug 07, 2002 11:21 pm

Myself and some of the other members of waterfowler.com have started a "hen fine" pool. All the money we raise is going to Delta for hen houses.
This kind of thing is a great idea, it makes you understand in a direct way that we need to be responsible and put back when we take.
Glad to see some folk over here doing it as well.

M.B.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”