Conservation $$$ At Work???

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
bodeen
Veteran

Postby bodeen » Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:38 pm

Greenhead22
Duck South Addict

Postby Greenhead22 » Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:55 pm

gator
Duck South Sponsor

Postby gator » Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:45 pm

i'm curious..................or, a few observations pertaining to this post.

1) sporty, please learn how to post pics w/out making them so danged big :wink:

2) for those that don't visit any other sites on the net, those comments were written by someone other than sporty.........it woulda helped if he woulda thrown in some quotes or something but see #1

3) i'm not real sure why there's animosity against DU OR THE POSTER who originated this thread ---- as, it seems this is public knowledge and as such, why be on the defensive?

4) GH22, of course the mag is devoted to those trying to LEARN something about duck hunting..........that's the TARGET audience. shoot, i've talked to just about everyone on this thread and i'm quite certain EVERYONE thinks they know it all --- not much in the way of an audience for a publication there is it :wink: .............how often you hear someone say, "shoot, the mag's worth 25 bux." maybe not as much now, but 5-10 years ago, i'd bet everyone of us said that.

5) drakeshead, b/t magnolia rc and willow break, i'm getting the feeling I'M THERE really means oooo, i hope my wife lets me go

6) this year alone, i've had 5 envelops w/ cash in them..........2 were from companies trying to better their product (much like DU seems to be doing), 1 was the tv ratings thingie, and 2 were from chicks beggin me to come over :wink:

7) chad, i appreciate you not brissling up at the post, shows character.....and the fact that work is getting done down here does not fall on deaf ears, BUT, please make sure that the work down here is a small portion of the overall objective............b/c the day the money leaves the PPR is the day MY money leaves DU.

8) it'd be really nice if you girls would wake up and smell the napalm.....EVERY company has it's issues, just like they have their STRENGTHS.

DU and DW get my "membership dues" to send me a mag and make me feel all warm and fuzzy, the USFWS gets 3-4 stamps yearly from me to allow me to hunt and again make me feel i'm doing my part, texaco gets 150 bux a week EASY on gas, HRC gets my membership dues and i train, spend weekends away from home and drive during the off season to go to HRC hunt test and other such orgs to better my dogs, a trip to montana and a sea duckin trip to the cape cod region get a BUNCH :wink: apiece, my lease gets another "bunch"................and, we're gonna constanly whine about 25 bux??????

c'mon guys, enjoy life a bit and quite sweating the small stuff.............gator
HRCH Eight Gauge - Gauge (see you on the bridge buddy)
HRCH Eight Gauge's Mountain Man - Trapper
tupe
Veteran
Location: MS/LA/IL/WI/ND and anywhere else I can get to. Born in MS.

Postby tupe » Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:59 pm

As a fella in the publishing business I can tell you right now that those kinds of surveys are essential to keeping a publication on target, and a buck to get a response is CHEAP.

As far as cutting down on advertising? Well that is tough, print costs went up drasticly last year and postage jumped a fair touch as well. The money to cover that comes from ads, and the ad ratio is direvtly linked to production cost.

Print media is a tough game, and getting tougher every day. But man do I love ink on paper...

Tupe
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:36 am

driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
rustypjr
Duck South Addict

Postby rustypjr » Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:42 am

Rusty Parsons
GordonGekko
Duck South Addict

Postby GordonGekko » Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:09 am

....since everybody else in the world has chimed in....I guess I'll share my 2 cents (and I'm overcharging at that)....

First and foremost DU is a business...they are in a competative market and are trying to stay ahead of the curve, you can't fault them for that. Second, as for question 12 while I bet most of the DU members hunt, hunting is not part of their primary mission (it is an important ancillary concern though)...so to me it doesn't seem like a silly question. Third, the magazine IS worth $25 for the photo's...and a few of the short story's every now and then. Hell I will piss away $25 on beer any chance I get and have nothing to show for it but an empty aspirin bottle and some fuzzy memories the next day. No I don't learn too much new stuff from it (unless it's about sea duck hunting)...but I don't really expect to learn much when I pick up a hunting mag anymore...except what new product is out there and how it's supposed to be better than the old one.

Money makes the world go round and DU is no different....
"In God we trust, all others pay cash."

Noli nothis permittere te terere.

Press Alt+F4 to ignore my posts
sportsman450
Duck South Addict

Postby sportsman450 » Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:57 am

sportsman

"That's Just My Opinion,I Could Be Wrong" - Dennis Miller
mudsucker
Duck South Addict

Postby mudsucker » Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:28 pm

Long Live the Black Democrat!