Advice?............

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
HARLEY
Veteran

Advice?............

Postby HARLEY » Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:50 pm

Took my 6yr. old hunting Thursday hoping to just let him try to shoot a doe. Only deer that came out was at about 250 yards and his range with his new .243 is about 50. While it was quickly getting dark we were just sitting and enjoying watching her feed, when my son said he saw another deer coming from our left. Having left the binoculars in the truck I raised the rifle to look through the scope, and HOLY $H!%.

The deer had just stepped out of some grass that was about chest high into an area we bushogged back in October. I have killed several nice deer with a 135" and a 140" deer on the wall, this one would have challenged both of them antler wise. I'm guessing somewhere around 18-22" wide 8 or 9 point that was pretty heavy! Without hesitation my son whispered shoot it dad!

If you didnt see it coming already this is where it gets ugly! I normally shoot a 300WSM and have no experience with a .243 on deer. Since it was his new Christmas present there was no decision as to what gun we were carrying that day. We were hunting from a enclosed two man blind that provides a very steady rest for shooting. The deer was facing us, so I waited until he gave me a quartering shot, centered the crosshairs on the point of his shoulder and squeezed the trigger. BOOM! The deer literally was knocked off of his feet! My son even said "You got him good dad he flipped!" While bolting another round the deer was kicking and struggling pretty hard and while he never regained his feet (that I could see) managed to work hiself back into the tall grass. We remained in the stand for another five or so minutes with me frantically searching the grass for any sign of the deer for a possible finishing shot. After no luck I decided to go down to where he was, hoping to find him within 50 or so yards of the initial shot(which was about 120yds).

By the time we reached the location it was almost completely dark and amazingly we could find no sign of a hit. No blood, no hair, no nothing! I took my son home (who was having a tough time keeping up the search in the tall grass) and returned with my dog in hopes he would lead me to him in the dark. The dog (black lab I duck hunt with) hit on the same trail twice that led to the proprty line. I dont know if he was following scent of a well used deer trail or if the deer had actually used it trying to get away. There was still no blood. Returned at daylight the next morning with permission to search the adjoining property, still no luck! Must have walked a total of ten miles. Needless to say I was disgusted, I have been deer hunting for over twenty years and have killed more than my share never having lost a deer. Prior to this my longest tracking job has not been over 75 yards. Any suggestions?

By the way I was shooting 95 grain Federal Fusion bullets from a .243. I shot a doe with the same combo on Monday and performance was less than good. The shot was about 85 yards hitting just behind the shoulder, the opposite shoulder was not even bruised and I couldnt find any significant pieces of the bullet. Be wary of the Fusion bullets if you are shooting at deer!!! :?: :evil: :?: :evil: :?: :shock:
sunnylab
Duck South Addict

Postby sunnylab » Sun Jan 01, 2006 10:06 pm

huntingup1
Regular

Postby huntingup1 » Sun Jan 01, 2006 10:10 pm

turkeyman
Duck South Addict

Postby turkeyman » Sun Jan 01, 2006 10:15 pm

Nitro Mag
Veteran

Postby Nitro Mag » Sun Jan 01, 2006 10:43 pm

Dutch Dog
Duck South Addict

Postby Dutch Dog » Mon Jan 02, 2006 1:56 am

Shoot one of them Remington Core Lokt bullets...at least they will stay together THROUGH a deer instead of exploding...if a blood trail leading to a dead deer is what you are after. You could neck shoot em and drop em where they stand.
It's better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.
HARLEY
Veteran

Postby HARLEY » Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:40 am

Thanks for all the help, I'm going this afternoon to sit in the same stand and hunt for buzzards. You can guarantee I'll be shooting Cor-Lokts or Nosler Partitions out of that gun from now on! Would have liked to put my hands on him for my sons sake, I think he likes it as much as I do!
cwink
Duck South Sponsor

Postby cwink » Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:33 pm

http://safefireshooting.com/
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them"
-George Washington
peewee
Duck South Addict

Postby peewee » Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:37 pm

Peewee
FnW man
Veteran

Postby FnW man » Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:41 pm

"When the last tree has been cut and the last river has dryed up and the last wildlife has vanished we will finally realize that we can not eat money".
cwink
Duck South Sponsor

Postby cwink » Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:47 pm

Just an FYI. The 243 and 7mm 08 are the same cartridge one is a 24 caliber bullet and one 27 caliber, you can just get bigger grained bullets in the 7mm08. If you want a blood trail on a 243 just switch to a different bullet such as the 100 grain from Hornaday.

Speed and bullet type is what gives you penetration and allows the bullet to pass through not necessarily the caliber

Believe it or not the 220 Swift with a 55 grain bullet will give you the most penetration. In fact we shot all the major calibers including 270, 308, 243, 6MM, 30 06, and 30/30 at a 3/4 inch piece of steel and the only bullet to go thru the steel was the 220 swift... So a bigger bullet does not always mean it will go through...
http://safefireshooting.com/
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them"
-George Washington
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:15 pm

GordonGekko
Duck South Addict

Postby GordonGekko » Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:33 pm

"In God we trust, all others pay cash."

Noli nothis permittere te terere.

Press Alt+F4 to ignore my posts
HARLEY
Veteran

Postby HARLEY » Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:28 am