Waders

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Blackduck
Duck South Addict

Waders

Postby Blackduck » Mon Jul 30, 2001 2:00 pm

Well it is time to replace yet another set of waders. This last pair lasted three extremely hard years. They were Lacrosse canvas-nothing fancy. Naturally the hole developed in the upper inner thigh. Due to the unfortunate hole location my "chestnuts" got bathed in frigid January water before my feet even got wet. The boots are mildewed and reek. Definatly time for the waste bin. I will probably buy another pair of canvas waders because of the versatility. One day you can hunt in 60 degree marshes in La and the next be in iced over Ark. sloughs and not have to worry about your waders (provided you have some nice thermal drawers or fleece britches). I find them a bit more difficult to walk in compared to neoprene but the durability and versatility make up for that. Now that I have made a short story long I was wondering what everyone else's favorite type,brand,camopattern of waders is.
Jeff
Duck South Addict

Waders

Postby Jeff » Mon Jul 30, 2001 2:27 pm

WEll I bought some Thrashers about five years ago and I haven't been pleased with them. They are pretty expensive and they brag on the cordura lining and then the whole things aren't covered in cordura. The cordura is great, but the places that don't have cordura get holes in them left and right, so it sucks due to that. For that reason I wouldn't buy another pair of Thrashers, I would find something that has a full outer shell covering or stick to canvas.
chance
Duck South Addict

Waders

Postby chance » Mon Jul 30, 2001 2:39 pm

I have a pair of canvas Hodgman and a pair of neoprene Lacrosse. The neoprene's sure make for some easy walking. They are warm to boot.
The big canvas ones have been with me for six seasons now. They have began to get a little moist inside the thighs but have been very durable.
I am not so sure the camo patterns matter much to the ducks. It is always my head that I am trying to hide.
damnyankee
Veteran

Waders

Postby damnyankee » Mon Jul 30, 2001 3:10 pm

I bought a pair of Brownings 3 seasons ago and like Jeff said they weren't covered completly with cordura but they were on sale for $125.00 and couldn't pass them up.
They started to leak at the end of last season so I'm looking for a new pair now also(when they leak they're gone,patching tends to be a never ending fight).
At Macks last week they had last years Lacrosse on sales for $150.00 but they were not covered all over either. I think I heard here last year they were junk and the crotches kept ripping out or leaking.
In the new Macks catalog Lacrosse is advertising New Redesigned brush tuff for $249.00. I looked at these and they had cordura over 100% of them, including crotch area, it also looks pretty beefed up there(which I need).
This is a lot of $$ but if they last 4 or 5 seasons before they start leaking I think it's a good deal(I go about 45 days each year). I'll never go back to canvas since I've had neoprene, especially the King Sizes they offer. It's like wearing a pair bibs, you can move all around and I think they breath better.
I'm going to venture over to Macks during the fall festival to see if I can get them on sale, good luck.
SwampMan
Veteran

Waders

Postby SwampMan » Mon Jul 30, 2001 4:44 pm

I bought a pair of Rocky neoprene waders at Mossy Oak outlet last year for $75 on sale. Regularly $250. They are 5mm and covered with some sort of protectant lining. Its not cordura, but similar. I have been very pleased with them so far, no holes yet and they are completely covered with the protecting cover. I know I wouldn't have paid the $250 regular price, but they are damn sure worth the $75 I spent.
BPT
Veteran

Waders

Postby BPT » Mon Jul 30, 2001 5:13 pm

Ive got a pair of rocky waders too. The ones i have cost about 120 dollars but i got a discount on them. I think they were called the waterfowl series. They are not really neoprene. But its kinda like neoprene. The out side is some tuff material, dont know what it is but it will take alot to punture it, alot tuffer than cordura. My .02.
GulfCoast
Duck South Addict

Waders

Postby GulfCoast » Mon Jul 30, 2001 8:22 pm

I have a pair of the Rocky cordura (?) covered neoprenes, had them 3 years, and have been very pleased with them so far. They are near about too warm for hunting down here, but sure are nice when things freeze over up in the delta.
Anatidae
Duck South Addict

Waders

Postby Anatidae » Tue Jul 31, 2001 8:43 am

'Ya'll seen those waders in this month's 'Wildfowl' magazine by Fowl Play....they have a zipper in the front...'called "Fly Waders". [img]images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] I can't imagine anyone wantin' to take a chance on that.....it's all we can do to keep from getting leaks thru solid material, let alone a zipper. 'Don't know if I'd want my first leak to occur there, if you know what I mean. [img]images/smiles/icon_eek.gif[/img] Whoooo....that's some COLD WATER! [img]images/smiles/icon_eek.gif[/img]
Blackduck
Duck South Addict

Waders

Postby Blackduck » Tue Jul 31, 2001 10:06 am

Zipper in your waders? Probably made by the same people who put screen doors on submarines or tits on a hog. That is just beggin to leak. What happens when it is 25 degrees and you zip the ole beans and frank up in you zipper because you are too frigid to work the damn thing. I make sure I stay away from that model. [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
GulfCoast
Duck South Addict

Waders

Postby GulfCoast » Tue Jul 31, 2001 10:15 am

LOL...with regards to those fly waders, the question is not IF they will leak, but WHEN!
banded
Regular

Waders

Postby banded » Thu Aug 02, 2001 7:12 am

I have a pair of brush tuff 1200 lacrosse.. I love them.. They don't have the same type of material as thrashers.. I contacted Lacrosse and talked to them about the new material and they assured me that it was twice as tuff as cordura on thrashers..

Return to “General Discussion Forum”