Sept Resident Canada Season

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Swamp Rat
Regular

Postby Swamp Rat » Mon Jul 30, 2001 3:46 pm

Does anyone have any insights on the success of this season. Does any one know a guide that hunts this season. How about a public or private place that has some success possibilities. My friend and I would like to try this for the larger race of canadas. Any ideas? Thanks
Jeff
Duck South Addict

Postby Jeff » Mon Jul 30, 2001 8:31 pm

Well the resident season can be an absolute blast for sure. I have hunted them on the resevoir and around Arkabulta. THere are so many of them on the resevoir it is almost like taking candy from a baby. It is a lot of fun! Anywhere else in the state I have found that if you can find a golf course or check around the rivers you can normally find some of them. They like golf courses casuse of the grass and water. They like rivers cause of the sand so they can get grit to digest their food. So it's really just a matter of finding them. Then once you find them gotta find where they like to sit at, cause they are resident birds, they know the areas like the back of their hands, so you can't set up in the area and expect them to work to you. Most times they are on a schedule and if you can get in the right spot then you are in the black. However if you aren't in the right spot, then you might as well just hang it up. But it aint hard find where they are, throw out some floaters or sillyettes, and get ready to shoot. A word of wisdom if you hunt the resevoir that early, I have seen two gators out there so if you have a dog, leave it at home for the hunt.
SCOOTER

Postby SCOOTER » Tue Jul 31, 2001 5:29 am

the waterway is great, but like jeff said. the right place is a must, watch them for a couple of week's and see where there feeding, if you see old neck band give him a peanut for me.
Anatidae
Duck South Addict

Postby Anatidae » Tue Jul 31, 2001 8:33 am

'Best blind for resident honkers is under the slidin' board in the playground at your local public access area. 'Just a couple of sillouettes will bring'em in. BUT, you can't shoot'em, there.....'have to be 1000yds from public ramps, locks, parks...whatever.

As Jeff and Scooter said, you have to do your homework and have a decent spread of decoys. Chances are, if you locate a good spot to decoy some birds on opening day, someone will set-up up-line on their normal approach lane and cut you off, pass shooting the birds that seem in range, thus negating all your efforts to do it 'the right way' (i.e....over decoys). GOOD LUCK!....it will be frustrating for the first two years, or until you figure that game out.
chance
Duck South Addict

Postby chance » Tue Jul 31, 2001 9:14 am

I know a pond that is less than 1/2 mile from Arkabutla that stays absolutely covered with honkers. Kinda like a dove shoot for the first couple of days. Then they get smart and won't play anymore.
Look for places where they hang out regular. Set up there if you can. If you can't hunt that spot, try to get between the roost and feeding area and set up. The resident honk season can be a lot of fun or one of the most frustrating hunts you will ever have.
baldduck
Veteran

Postby baldduck » Tue Jul 31, 2001 12:46 pm

GH22, Nice!! Bet those look kind of funny on your laynard!!! hahahahaha baldduck
SCOOTER

Postby SCOOTER » Tue Jul 31, 2001 3:20 pm

gh22, you been on e-bay to long, thems to pretty. old neck boy's looks like the white one, just maybe he lived one more season. the new 10 gauge i got is gona give him a run for the money.
Greenhead22
Duck South Addict

Postby Greenhead22 » Tue Jul 31, 2001 4:15 pm

Scooter, I've been on ebay for around two weeks and have bought two Cajun Guide Duck Calls, 1/2 dozen Magnum Mallard dekes and 1/2 dozen of Pintail dekes, over $125 spent in a short time.
Jeff
Duck South Addict

Postby Jeff » Tue Jul 31, 2001 8:00 pm

Damn nation GH22 that's some impressive plastic there. That is a hell of alot of geese to get that many neck bands. An impressive feat to say the least.
GulfCoast
Duck South Addict

Postby GulfCoast » Tue Jul 31, 2001 8:58 pm

You can sit on the benches at the YMCA at the Rez and shoot as many geese as your shoulder can stand. Trust me [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
Swamp Rat
Regular

Postby Swamp Rat » Tue Jul 31, 2001 9:33 pm

There are not that many opportunites in Natchez where I live. The only places where I have found them there is no hunting allowed and they seem to go all around and pond hop from safe zone to safe zones or in the city limits. I have found them on the river or rather crossing it to a wetland on the La. side and hunting here has been futile as this is not one of their places to work to decoys. I have tried to position myself to be in range for a passing shot and when they were close enough shooting time
was over. They are pretty smart or very lucky. I also want my hunt to be fair chase and this probably makes this season iffy.
I could hunt in the north during the regular season but my old bones dont like to get real cold. My trips to Ross Barnnet Res. found all of the geese to the south of Pelehathie Bay which is a no shoot zone. To hunt this bird is the equivelent of my last great quest.
[img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

[ July 31, 2001: Message edited by: Swamp Rat ]
Greenhead22
Duck South Addict

Postby Greenhead22 » Tue Jul 31, 2001 11:39 pm

Scooter, I feel your pain. With all the problems you've been having getting ole neckband, I found something that might cheer you up. Here's my collection of neck bands.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”