Traditional Archery

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Dutch Dog
Duck South Addict

Traditional Archery

Postby Dutch Dog » Sat Aug 06, 2005 9:30 pm

I spoke somewhere before of getting into the traditional part of archery. I have always condidered myself an ok shot when shooting instinctive. There is more to it than simply pulling a bow back and shooting it. I have shot enough competitive archery and had some good coaching along the way to be able to hold my own with a compound. What are some of the big differences between the two that some of you converts have noticed. (no training wheel jokes please :lol: ). I know you generally shoot a heavier arrow, and some big broadheads, usually feathered arrows fletched helical. Just any information will be helpful.
Thanks.
It's better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.
duck_nutt
Duck South Addict

Postby duck_nutt » Sun Aug 07, 2005 12:52 pm

Warren H. Womack

Postby Warren H. Womack » Sun Aug 07, 2005 3:30 pm

John, For me it's just plain & simple and more fun, shooting with traditional equipment. Besides I'm able to shoot an arrow much faster than I could with a compound. Nothing to check on, nothing to line up, no guessing distances. Just point the bow, draw the string to anchor and release. Most of the time it's all done in one quick motion.

As far as arrows and broadheads go. I shoot the arrow that shoots the best out of my bow and always shoot feathers with helical fletching. Any broadhead will work, as long as it's sharp. I like the challenge of using hand / eye coordination for shooting instead of sight pins.

I never have like to fool with gadgets and worry about tuning. With just a stick and string I appreciate my kills a lot more than I did with a wheel bow and I have a greater sense of accomplishment.

When I switched back to a recurve in 1993 I made a commitment to hunt the entire season with it, good or bad. I was ready to accept it if I didn't kill a deer. Well as it worked out I managed to take 9 deer, the fist year back with it. Since then I have never even considered going back to a compound. Actually, in a lot of situations I feel it's an advantage for me to be hunting with a stickbow instead of a compound. It's certainly more fun to practice with.

For someone just starting out, they shouldn't expect to much, too soon. It takes time and a lot of shots to work into a groove that works for them. Everyone has their own way and it's best not to copy form from another shooter. Just find a way of shooting that feels natural and practice that until it all starts clicking. Don't get in a hurry to take long shots. That's not what it's all about. Shoot close and as you develop form and confidence, slowly, work your way into longer shots.

I have no problem with compound bows or hunters that use them. Hey, I killed 175 deer with a compound bow. Some of my best hunting partners use a compound. I respect their choice and I think they do the same for mine.
Dutch Dog
Duck South Addict

Postby Dutch Dog » Sun Aug 07, 2005 4:27 pm

Warren H. Womack

Postby Warren H. Womack » Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:21 pm

driveby
Duck South Addict

Postby driveby » Sun Aug 07, 2005 8:57 pm

GordonGekko
Duck South Addict

Postby GordonGekko » Sun Aug 07, 2005 10:42 pm

Well, here is what I know...the extent of it. I've never owned a recurve, but I've got a bad hankerin' for one.... I have shot one quite a lot however. One of my best friends got into traditional archery a while back and whenever we'd get together to shoot (every afternoon after work), we'd shoot our compounds (50 arrows) and then shoot his recurve's. I got to the point that I was ready to buy one of my own, then I decided to go back to school...so long story short, I'm still waiting to get my first. However, I did run across a fellow just outside of Tupelo, named Chad that sells Chekmate bows...from what I saw these bows were phenomenal values. check him out at http://www.recurves.com
"In God we trust, all others pay cash."

Noli nothis permittere te terere.

Press Alt+F4 to ignore my posts
mfalkner
Duck South Addict

Postby mfalkner » Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:48 am

mfalkner
Duck South Addict

Postby mfalkner » Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:50 am

4-EYED GADWALL
Veteran

Postby 4-EYED GADWALL » Sat Aug 13, 2005 11:49 am

Dutch Dog I got a Black Widow and a Alasken Stomper I'll sell at a good price.

the BW is 80# so you better eat your wheaties

the Alasken is a bow I had cutom made for me about 8 years ago. Its a nice bow 70#s 29" draw.

Now I shoot another Alasken Stomper riser with some limbs Bobby Lofton made me years ago 80#
Dutch Dog
Duck South Addict

Postby Dutch Dog » Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:50 pm

tooooo much bow for me. I'm looking in the lower 50's or so...maybe even in the mid to upper 40's...from what I have been told that's a good poundage to start with.
mfalkner
Duck South Addict

Postby mfalkner » Wed Aug 17, 2005 7:53 am

Return to “General Discussion Forum”