Am I about to screw up on the MS river??

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
LabLuvR
Veteran

Postby LabLuvR » Mon Jul 23, 2001 2:38 pm

Gentlemen and I use that term very loosely, HA!HAH! I have it set in my mind that I must hunt the mighty MS river and it's oxbows just once. And this could be the year I give it a go.

I have a little bit of river savy but never been on the big one before. My boat is a Duracraft 1548 with a 25 Yamaha fourstroker so I "think" it can handle the river. But what I need is for you fellas to tell me things that a person who has never navigated it before needs to know. I don't want to be a
complete rubberhead and get washed over by some freighter or do something totally stupid which I can do very well! [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I know the water needs to be at certain levels and I am aware to some degree, of the trespassing issues off of the river, but any enlightening that will keep my unlucky ass out of trouble will be most appreciated.
[img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
Jeff
Duck South Addict

Postby Jeff » Mon Jul 23, 2001 2:45 pm

If the river is above about 16' in Memphis area make sure you stay in the middle of the channel as there are stone dikes on the west side all over and if ya hit one of them you're huntin is done for the rest of the year. That's about my big advice.
MSDuckmen
Duck South Addict

Postby MSDuckmen » Mon Jul 23, 2001 2:57 pm

There is nothing wrong with hunting that river. Where ya plan on going in. The MS is a tough girl but she has different moods depending on where ya ride her. And buddy I have rode the girl from Memephis to New Orleans what ya want to know about? [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
LabLuvR
Veteran

Postby LabLuvR » Mon Jul 23, 2001 3:08 pm

Well Duckmen what ya willin to tell me???HA!HA!

A few years ago I was told by someone that there can be some pretty awesome sights on that
river if ya get the right hole. Well I have lost touch with the fella and am gonna try to pursue a hunt on my own.

I don't want to go into a lot of details here for fear of ruining what some of you boys have, so if anyone would be willing to fill me in on some skinny I'd really appreciate ya letting me email ya to ask a few questions.

I ain't looking for directions to any specific hole, but one of the areas I am looking at is around Greenville.

If you need any more information just let me know.Also, I really appreciate this fellas, I want to experience what she can deliver cause I know if I do my homework I will have a hunt to remember. THANKS!!!
MSDuckmen
Duck South Addict

Postby MSDuckmen » Mon Jul 23, 2001 4:19 pm

I'll tell ya what ya need to know to have the time of your life and come back safe.

Give me a email and I'll send ya the info. Don't want all the hard legs to see it he11 they suck it out from under ya.

[img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
laduck
Veteran

Postby laduck » Mon Jul 23, 2001 5:13 pm

First time that I was running the boat on a Mississippi River hunt, I didn't even sleep the night before because I was so up tight. You can have some great hunts, but you had better be prepared. Have a phone, another motor, and a plan left with someone as to where you will be and what time you should return. We made a mistake once and were out there all day before a tug called help for us.

Shoot them sprigs on their first pass!
goosebruce
Duck South Addict

Postby goosebruce » Mon Jul 23, 2001 6:32 pm

There are old river hunters, and bold river hunters, but there aint no old bold river hunters.

Think you can handle it you say? If you're wrong, you can get hurt. Brother I wouldn't get on the big muddy in a 15 foot boat by myself for a truck load of duckies. If you going small, go with two boats. Helluva lot safer. Dat big mutha scares me in a bassboat at times, I aint no big river hunter. Too many duckies to kill in slick water to go and try to kill myself. Them lil rivers are okie dokie, but too much crap from can't launch here, or hunt there. If it's froze too hard for the bean fields, I hit the lakes & small rivers. If its froze too hard for them, I ride in the truck and shoot snow geese. Or actually go back to work for a few days. hehe, screw the big river. Last word...Ifn you go, go with someone. travis
LabLuvR
Veteran

Postby LabLuvR » Mon Jul 23, 2001 7:07 pm

Thanks fellas and Travis rest assured that safety is paramount over any duck hunt, any day.I forgot but the previous fella had told me that two boats sure are better than one.
Duckmen I will email you and get some particulars.

I still am unclear about the danger part though. Is it the barge traffic, water flow/turbulence, unseen objects or all the above. Thanks again and please excuse my ignorance of the matter. I have only seen the river one time in my life and that was two years ago when it looked like a little ol creek as I was passing over.
damnyankee
Veteran

Postby damnyankee » Mon Jul 23, 2001 7:33 pm

Well a storm can blow up so damn fast, and you can't believe it but we've been in 6'-7' swells.
Another danger is barge traffic if a motor goes awry and your in that channel you could be in some trouble.
The river in Nov-Feb is no place for a 15' boat with a 25 hp on it. You need a big heavy boat with the hps to match.
Up north we ran 22' plate boats with 85hp or 110hp on the back, sometimes that was just enough.
I guess the danger thing about the river is it's unpredictability, calm one minute crazy the next. Up until a couple of years it was all I ever really hunted, it is definitaly not somewhere you should go alone, with a small boat or without someone who knows the river.
If you gotta go try to take someone with some river experience and get a bigger boat.
goosebruce
Duck South Addict

Postby goosebruce » Mon Jul 23, 2001 9:24 pm

My daddy's last hunt on the big river. Feller that ran the boat didnt run lites, saide it killed his night vision. They ran, dropped 2 hunters and a dog off, ran sum mo, dropped 2 and a pooch, and so on. When it got lite, there was like 18 barges broke loose and they ran smack through the middle of them. Had like 6 miles of the river closed. They didnt have a clue. Of course, the story wouldnt be near as good, had the motor not gave out, and a noon pickup turned into 730 that night.
Barges in the dark, SUCK. Can't tell you how many times one of them bad boys been slipping up on me and hit that lite, that lite will make you break out in a sweat.... Out in the channel, no way in the dark for this white boy. Sharing slick water with them is bad nuff. Fog is a killer on any river, on the big river, you can lose the bank. The lil chutes and sloughs are all dependent on the river level to be able to get in and out of, and you need someone who knows it just to hunt well, not to mention safely. Can't tell you bout down south, but at memphis, if you ever have to run that river in a 25 mph south wind, if you get off, you wont ever wont to get back on. Slick water for me... travis
BPT
Veteran

Postby BPT » Mon Jul 23, 2001 10:46 pm

The only person i go onto the river with is my uncle because he was the Captain on a barge for 35 years. He knows that river like the back of his hand. He can tell you anything about that river. HE has been on barges from ST. Paul, MN to the end in LA.
One time we went out on the river in a 14ft jon boat but it was not a big wide thing. Ithink it was the narrowest 14ft they make. 20inch or somthin. But anyway we went out in that little boat with a 3.9 motor. Not 39---3.9 We had 3 adults and 4 kids in that boat and we went all the way across that big river. We didnt think anything about back then because we were with him but i would never do that again in that little bity booty boat!! My point is have someone that knows the river to go with you 3 or 4 times before you try it out.
judge jb
Duck South Addict

Postby judge jb » Tue Jul 24, 2001 4:16 am

Lab, sounds as tho you need to stop by the SHACK for a drink and some serious talking.... if i knew you were on the river, even i would worry...haha... i think i will stick to my puddle... then we can Talk about the river...

judge jb
LabLuvR
Veteran

Postby LabLuvR » Tue Jul 24, 2001 5:05 am

Well you fellas have certainly painted a different picture than what I had anticipated and I thank you for that! Maybe I'll find me a litte ol mud puddle somewhere and play it a LOT safer.

Judge, I'll be gettin with you soon! My crystal ball tells me we may very well be eating and drinking like kings after we have watched a few greenheads surrender to the call of our crack shooting skills. [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]
RedEyed Duck
Duck South Addict

Postby RedEyed Duck » Tue Jul 24, 2001 5:17 pm

Take a good look and listen to these guys as many of them have been out there and done that on the ole girl. I have fished and hunted that river a great deal and Meeka is right never loose respect for the river or it will get ya. I have seen stumps that were as big around as a Toyota pick-up come out of the water about 8 to 10' out there in the channel. I have also seen the wind out of the South at 20 mph and swells about 4' high. I was wishing they put oh sh** handles on the boat that day.

Bottom line is you have to be familar with the river before making a go of it by yourself. Stay safe.......
DUCKAHOLIC
Duck South Addict

Postby DUCKAHOLIC » Tue Jul 24, 2001 10:05 pm

Ive been out on the ole girl workin,and you aint never seen a boat wake till you see one from a barge I can promise you that."The Perfect Storm". And all the things youve herd about huge logs coming out of the water like missles Ive seen that too.And Mekka was dead on about the swirles itll make the pucker factor go way way up. Ill just sit that hunt out!

Return to “General Discussion Forum”