What brand shells??

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Unkljohn
Duck South Addict

What brand shells??

Postby Unkljohn » Wed Jul 25, 2001 12:06 pm

Just a question about what "brand name" shells most people here use and why?? Also what size shot??? I like the Winchester Super X Drylok w/#3 shot,in a 3" MAG. I tried the Remington shells last year and was really disappointed with them, I got some of them wet and they would NOT shoot!!!
JT

[ July 25, 2001: Message edited by: Unkljohn ]

[ July 25, 2001: Message edited by: Unkljohn ]
ScottS
Veteran

What brand shells??

Postby ScottS » Wed Jul 25, 2001 12:24 pm

Unkljohn,

You'll get 50 different answers as that is like asking folks if they prefer a Ford or Chevy. [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

For me personally....I like the feel, speed and price of Estate's steel. I have shot Remington, Federal and Winchester. I like the Remington Nitro mags but they are "generally" more expensive than the Estate shells. (I believe a recent post had a link to some cheap Nitro steel)

Most steel shells are producing between 1375 and 1500 fps these days so it is really a matter of personal preference. In addition to personal preference it is also important to understand what your gun likes to shoot.

As far as size, I prefer #2 & #3. No particular reason other than I've been shooting it for 10-12 yrs with no kill problems.

Scott

P.S. I prefer Ford [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
BirdDawgHunter
Regular

What brand shells??

Postby BirdDawgHunter » Wed Jul 25, 2001 12:28 pm

I've always liked the Drylok 4's, mainly because I've always liked the Winchester Upland loads for bird hunting.

I would sure be interested in hearing other opinions on Federal's, Remington's, Estate's etc.
Greenhead22
Duck South Addict

What brand shells??

Postby Greenhead22 » Wed Jul 25, 2001 12:32 pm

I prefer Drylocks or Kent Fasteel in #3 shot. You can find them for around $100 a case if you know where to look to them. But the best badass duck shells are the Remington Nitro Buffered Magnums, but the box doesn't say lead or steel shot.
Model12
Veteran

What brand shells??

Postby Model12 » Wed Jul 25, 2001 12:32 pm

After being VERY unhappy with steel in general, shooting 4's, then 2's, a friend gave me a few boxes of Kent 3's, and I've been very impressed. Most of my group shoot them.
Anatidae
Duck South Addict

What brand shells??

Postby Anatidae » Wed Jul 25, 2001 1:20 pm

Can 'o Worms, anyone? It's a good question, John. Let me just tell you what works for us.

Anne and I generally shoot at close range....inside of 30yds usually with IC choke. If we can't get'em that close, we pass'em up....that's just where we're at, in the game of duck hunting. We don't shoot'em on the dip and we don't shoot'em unless their feet are stuck-out......that's the picture we're looking for, to BURN into memory. Ladi-Da

AND, (I don't mean this in a boastful way, either), we shoot somewhere between 300 -400 shells a year. NO, there aren't that many ducks where we hunt, we just hunted 49 days, last year...sometimes 'til noon.

That said, to us, it doesn't matter WHAT shell you shoot in close quarters. We've even shot 20ga 2-3/4" if we've located some ducks in a tight hole, just to keep from tearin'em up too bad.

I DO shoot Win. Supreme HV at honkers and will go with Bismith, this year, for those big birds. They can be harder to decoy, and I'm still figurin' them out, so I want every advantage I can get, to keep me from crippling....I have the utmost respect for honkers and hate to wound ( and potentially, loose) ANY game. 'Just don't think it's right.

If you pass shoot, go with something with enough velocity to have some down-range energy. In open water or flooded fields, it's harder to judge distance and shoot smart, 'cause there are fewer visual references, so be sure and get ENOUGH shell, with the best performance you can afford, in case you mis-judge the range.

GOOD LUCK!
mallardchaser
Duck South Addict

What brand shells??

Postby mallardchaser » Wed Jul 25, 2001 1:29 pm

kent # 4's.

$100.00 at the m. mallard in jackson.
Unkljohn
Duck South Addict

What brand shells??

Postby Unkljohn » Wed Jul 25, 2001 1:32 pm

I'm just curious about who shoots what, and for what reasons. Price, performance,etc...??
Duckkilla
Veteran

What brand shells??

Postby Duckkilla » Wed Jul 25, 2001 1:43 pm

I prefer remington nitro steel. But I usually shoot kent or estate because they are cheaper.
Ringbill
Veteran

What brand shells??

Postby Ringbill » Wed Jul 25, 2001 1:43 pm

Remington or Federal 3" 2's. Read my earlier post for a link to a great deal on Remington Nitro Steel's, Federal Classics, and I believe decent deals on Winchester's too.

Ringbill
Jeff
Duck South Addict

What brand shells??

Postby Jeff » Wed Jul 25, 2001 2:16 pm

Shot Xpress for the past two years and the consistency isn't there for the shells. One box will be great another like crap. So I will go back to drylocks I imagine. I like 3's, I also like Kent have seen some good results with their shells just never used them that much. Rest assured I will take a box of it to the range soon and see what I like the best.
mallardchaser
Duck South Addict

What brand shells??

Postby mallardchaser » Wed Jul 25, 2001 3:13 pm

UKLJOHN:

to answer your question about why we shoot different shells. i think it's the ford/chevy/dodge thing again.
personally, i shoot the kent's bc they perform as well as the win xx and i save about $40.00 a case...
MSDuckmen
Duck South Addict

What brand shells??

Postby MSDuckmen » Wed Jul 25, 2001 3:50 pm

I shoot the duck in the lips.

sooooo brand don't mean much, shot size needs to be 2,3,4's .
6's will do just not a lot of knock down to em.
I have reloaded steel for years but the shot is getting harder to find and with the cost going downso much not really much need to reload.

I'm much like Anatidae in that I pass up shots not within 20yards.

But that is the the duckmen's way ... hehe
goosebruce
Duck South Addict

What brand shells??

Postby goosebruce » Wed Jul 25, 2001 5:13 pm

Best shell to shoot, somebody elses. Sheeeet, wont ever hear me griping bout shells I found in my bag, or the truck.... Hopefully folks coming to hunt with me, (or around me) will be shooting federal hv bb's, 3.5 inchers... but anythang will do in a pinch. Bought some estates last year, and they aint round. The ones that would go into my gun would normally go out, but the ones that you had to slam gun on cause they wouldnt go into chamber where floorsmackers. Screw estates. travis
BPT
Veteran

What brand shells??

Postby BPT » Wed Jul 25, 2001 5:31 pm

Last year i shot kents and they did pretty good until i good them wet and after that they jammed up usually once or twice a day. Somebody told me they werent waterproof but i dont know. It wasnt my gun because a couple of people had the same problem as i did. This year ill probly use Remington or Drylox 3in. 4shot

Return to “General Discussion Forum”