Will this be the Year that Causes Positive Change?

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
webfoot
Duck South Addict

Will this be the Year that Causes Positive Change?

Postby webfoot » Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:37 pm

Silent Fall - Will this be the Year that Causes Positive Change?
By John Devney Vice President Communications and Marketing

In 1962 Rachel Carson authored Silent Spring, a treatise on the state of our environment. Some viewed Silent Spring as a wake up call to the ills of our planet, while others saw it as a knee-jerk environmentalist manifesto full of ideological gobbly goop.

But what Carson accomplished was a rebirth of the conservation movement which instilled remedial measures like the Clean Water Act, the Clean Air Act and other actions aimed at improving our natural resources. The book defined a problem, demanded action and prompted solutions.
This winter my Delta cohorts and I have again been inundated by calls from hunters across the flyways searching for concentrations of migrating ducks. Hunters frequenting Internet chat rooms and outdoor writers are pondering the same question: “Where are the ducks.”

Unlike recent years, this was not just a southern duck hunter’s problem. Minnesota, home of the largest duck hunting community in the United States, is howling, as are their neighbors in Wisconsin and Iowa. Reports from the Dakotas and prairie Canada, traditionally hotbeds of waterfowling even in the leanest of years, are only slightly better. And in the mid-latitude states—while richer in terms of ducks than other areas according to surveys—positive reports were few and far between.

In recent years much has been made of mild winters, with hunters, biologists and waterfowl managers claiming the ducks are “all up north.” While mild winters certainly haven’t helped the situation in the recent past, deep-reaching cold fronts resulting in sub-freezing conditions, ice and snow in the southernmost reaches of the country should knock a hole in the shortstopping hypothesis.

The 2004-05 hunting season should be the one to finally jolt hunters into the awareness that we indeed have a duck problem. No longer will hunters listen blindly to assertions that the birds are simply not where you are. This silent fall may be the one to create positive change.

The difficulties in finding the silver bullet to cure the longing for birds over decoys are daunting. Hunting pressure is emerging as an issue, with long seasons, season extensions, high bags and other elements possibly causing our flocks to be warier than the past.

Weather patterns and local habitat conditions will impact what hunters see overhead, but all these issues and the myriad of others cited for poor seasons rank well behind the size of the fall flight in contributing to hunting success or failure.

Delta Waterfowl has repeatedly reported on the steady productivity decline on the prairie breeding grounds. Given this loss of productivity, coupled with poorer wetland conditions and largely average populations, hunters should not expect large flights and grand success.

The question is when will waterfowlers and waterfowl management acknowledge the problem and step forward boldly to intervene? The data is more than compelling—it is a slap in the face illustrating the problem. Despite a huge investment aimed at increasing duck production, nest success has declined and wetland and grassland losses continue in key areas like prairie Canada.

We need to do more.

We need to do better.

I think many are fearful that the status quo is all we can expect. I am much more optimistic, but before change can occur, we need to wake up from our haze and acknowledge the problems, identify solutions and put our dollars and collective inertia to work on the ground.

We need to leverage all organizational strengths, whether the task is wetland or grassland conservation, policy reform that can lead to improved habitat or intensive management like predator removal, Hen Houses and other tools.

Ducks aren’t going to go extinct, but that shouldn’t be our measuring stick for success. We need to do better to ensure the only client of waterfowl management—the duck hunter—is receiving a handsome dividend for his tremendous investment.

Here at Delta, we are ready to boldly chart a new course for waterfowl and waterfowl hunting.

The question is, “who is willing to help us achieve that goal”?

The question is “will this fall be the one that starts us down the path”?
"We face the question whether a still higher standard of living is worth its costs in things natural, wild, and free." - Aldo Leopold
SoftCall
Duck South Addict

Postby SoftCall » Wed Feb 23, 2005 7:42 am

Last edited by SoftCall on Wed Feb 23, 2005 8:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
run me out in the cold rain and snow
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Re: Will this be the Year that Causes Positive Change?

Postby Wildfowler » Wed Feb 23, 2005 8:03 am

driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
SoftCall
Duck South Addict

Postby SoftCall » Wed Feb 23, 2005 8:32 am

Wildfowler -

I think that they are talking about the freak snow storm that happened in Houston and Galveston this year. Although it had absolutely NO IMPACT on the MS flyway (or the central) it was "the southernmost reaches of the country".

I don't recall getting out the snow plow when that storm hit...do you?

This press release makes me think that DW is even more full of poop than I thought they were. :shock: Releasing this kind of crud really weakens their credibility. I'll still support them though.....wait a minute....did I send them my check? I sure would hate for them to be short on funds the next time they need to generate some press. :?

Webfoot - can you tell them to lay off of the pipe?
SoftCall
Duck South Addict

Postby SoftCall » Wed Feb 23, 2005 8:57 am

Oh Oh Nevermind....this was a tag line to their new membership drive.....
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Look at the web site layout....kind of "catchy" to the eye...right?
Last edited by SoftCall on Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
Anatidae
Duck South Addict

Postby Anatidae » Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:00 am

Po Monkey Lounger
Duck South Addict

Postby Po Monkey Lounger » Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:33 am

You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning.
SoftCall
Duck South Addict

Postby SoftCall » Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:19 am

Po Monkey Lounger
Duck South Addict

Postby Po Monkey Lounger » Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:08 pm

You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning.
SoftCall
Duck South Addict

Postby SoftCall » Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:11 pm

bigwater
Duck South Addict

Postby bigwater » Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:15 pm

"Ya ever work beef Billy?"
HARLEY
Veteran

Postby HARLEY » Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:47 pm

BAY KINGFISHER
Duck South Addict

yep

Postby BAY KINGFISHER » Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:23 pm

Limit the days, cut the limit, outlaw spinners, shoot only males when possible, support the conservation groups, self restraint, if you love duck hunting as much as I do you would be willing to do all of the above, hell I would go as far as closing the season to figure out the problem. I want my son and his son's son to enjoy the sport, just as I have. What we need is a complete revamping of waterfowling as we know it today, the on-slaught of duck hunting being made "cool" has ruined our sport. The almighty dollar strikes again!!!!!
HRCH Mr. Buck's Delta Do "Dee" MH
Cotten
Veteran

Postby Cotten » Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:29 pm

[quote="HARLEY"]I cant believe people are'nt getting it! The MF' en spinners are a huge part of our problem. Think about it, the North continues to kill birds and the ones that make it South are hard to decoy.[/quote]

Dittos on outlawing spinners!!! But it's going to be hard getting those $$$ earners to let go of them.
Anatidae
Duck South Addict

Postby Anatidae » Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:44 pm

The way I look at that........

I think the influx of hunters in the last 4 years put less emphasis on the traditional skill sets and have come to rely too much on the mojo to attract ducks. Granted, not everyone that uses a mojo is lacking in skill by any means......but I would say that the majority of the 'shooters' out there have become less particular about such things as concealment, calling, blind placement, decoy setting, and mobility, because they haven't been at it long enough to develop those skills.

So, let'em use mojos.......that way, when ducks that are educated to them get down here.......they'll know to shy away from those set-ups and look for something more natural and convincing looking. That's the way to address the 'pressure' thing.......looks like the ducks have already taken their own measures to address 'pressure'.......by identifying it......and adapting to it....shying away from it. I don't think that's a bad thing.

So see, the ducks don't need 'fixin'.......they got it all figured-out. The easier we think it becomes, the more they are determined to do whatever it takes to thrive and survive. We just have to be better at adapting to what THEY adapt to, huh? :lol: That way....when ducks get down here and you get'em in your decoys with their feet down......boy, you've really DONE something!

Personally, I think they oughta outlaw the mojo everywhere. We didn't have these problems 4 years ago with duck behavior. Maybe getting rid of mojos will either discourage folks with no skills, or make'em appreciate what it takes to develop some.......and thus, a greater appreciation for the sport and heritage of duck hunting.

Good post, Po Maw-key :wink:

Return to “General Discussion Forum”