Reviving decoy's

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Junior P
Veteran

Reviving decoy's

Postby Junior P » Thu Jul 19, 2001 2:21 pm

I have some decoy's that were stored in my dad's barn for a couple of years and not used. I want to touch them up and give them a new look. I was wondering what would be the best option on painting. Mainly the bills, neck bands, and maybe a few heads and white patches are all I am going to have to do. The bodies still look pretty good. [img]images/smiles/icon_eek.gif[/img]
Greenhead22
Duck South Addict

Reviving decoy's

Postby Greenhead22 » Thu Jul 19, 2001 2:45 pm

You might want to try rubbing vaseline over the whole decoy, then let dry. Then apply an even amount of Armor-All on the dekes to bring them back to life.
GREENHEAD
Veteran

Reviving decoy's

Postby GREENHEAD » Thu Jul 19, 2001 4:24 pm

JUNIOR

HANG UP THE DEKES AND SPRAY THEM WITH TIRE FOAM IT HAS ALWAYS WORKED FOR ME

GH [img]images/smiles/icon_mad.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/icon_mad.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/icon_mad.gif[/img]
goosebruce
Duck South Addict

Reviving decoy's

Postby goosebruce » Thu Jul 19, 2001 9:19 pm

GH22, you spend much time out in the shed rubbing vasiline on things? BWHAHAHAHA, I kill me!

Never painted a decoy in my life. So i don't know. id say buy some new shiney ones, and keep those for the boat bag, but thats me. travis [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
Greenhead22
Duck South Addict

Reviving decoy's

Postby Greenhead22 » Thu Jul 19, 2001 10:30 pm

Keep on goose, just keep on. Don't make me drive to Bartlett, LOL. I got the idea out of a DU Magazine.
ScottS
Veteran

Reviving decoy's

Postby ScottS » Fri Jul 20, 2001 8:17 am

I've got to start repainting on some of my dekes. I've looked at the "painting kits" from Cabela's, etc but would prefer to try and find some paint locally (in other words...cheaper). Isn't that paint they are selling just regular latex paint? If not, what type of paint will adhere to the decoys the best. I don't care if it only lasts a season or two, I just don't want it coming off as soon as I throw in the water the very first time this year.

Thanks.

Scott Spencer
BirdDawgHunter
Regular

Reviving decoy's

Postby BirdDawgHunter » Fri Jul 20, 2001 9:15 am

I recently finished repainting my old decoys using the Herter's decoy paint. As best I can tell it's and oil base paint, and it's main claim to fame is that it is tough and has a very flat (dull) finish. It's pretty good paint, though. The stuff I was using was delivered to my dad's house in 1968. I had ordered a new set in 1994, but for the most part I used the old stuff first since it was still good (after considerable stirring). I'm sure you could duplicate the same colors with regular paint. I think the main thing is to use the dull finish and toned down colors. I've seen decoys repainted all bright and shiny with primary colors, but they looked like cartoon ducks to me. The ducks probably don't care one little bit, but since I spend more time looking at them than the ducks, I do.

The last time I looked the Herter's mallard kit was around $30 and will do 2 dozen decoys.
mallardchaser
Duck South Addict

Reviving decoy's

Postby mallardchaser » Fri Jul 20, 2001 9:20 am

I bought some paint at walmart a couple of years ago. Arts and crafts type paint, in small plastic bottles. Worked pretty good and is holding up after a couple of years.
paint is paint..
It was fun at first, messing w/ the decoy's in the summertime. After the first 12 or so it wasn't quite as fun. Water keel standards are awfully cheap these day's.
pushpole
Regular

Reviving decoy's

Postby pushpole » Fri Jul 20, 2001 7:42 pm

i have bought enamel paint from walmart and repainted my dekes last year. i did not like the color that came on them. During season, i keep my decoys on mu decoy bag and so far I have not had any problems with the new paint coming off.

P.S. I only bought the pint size cans about 3 bucks a can.

wish you luck.
pushpole
ScottS
Veteran

Reviving decoy's

Postby ScottS » Fri Jul 20, 2001 9:10 pm

Thanks guys - I'll try the Wal-Mart stuff and see what happens. I may try to thin it down enough to shoot through my airbrush. I've got a Paasche airbrush that does excellent work and that may help me to get a good pattern on them (verus blobbing it on with a bruch) and feather the colors in.

Scott
SCOOTER

Reviving decoy's

Postby SCOOTER » Fri Jul 20, 2001 11:39 pm

gh22, you'll go blind in that shed, i've never painted any either, get some new ones and jug fish with them others.
Greenhead22
Duck South Addict

Reviving decoy's

Postby Greenhead22 » Fri Jul 20, 2001 11:43 pm

Let's see, travel plans for next week:

1st stop: Tupelo, MS........Scooterville
2nd stop: Bartlett, TN......Goosebruceston
goosebruce
Duck South Addict

Reviving decoy's

Postby goosebruce » Sat Jul 21, 2001 4:39 pm

Dang GH, i thunk you could take a joke better dan that.... [img]images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Man I hate yur gonna come all the way up here to whoop me. Might want to stop and eat lunch first, it's an all day job! hehe. [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Sheez, man, come on up anytime you want. If yur spending yur idle hours in the shed wif du magazine, you might need to come to da big city. We'll take ya to one of dem places got mo XXX's on it than stanos shirt size! BWHAHAHAHAH!
Couse ya'll probably got a deal like dat down there too. This is a lil different, cause the chicks have teeth and all (but then again, who said that wuz a good thing?) travis
Greenhead22
Duck South Addict

Reviving decoy's

Postby Greenhead22 » Sun Jul 22, 2001 6:05 pm

ROTFLMAO, well since you are a little bigger than me I'll let you be, hehe. Actually they are building a couple of XXX bars in Lowndes Co. within a month or two, plus several more drunk cafe's in Starkville. But I try to stay away from those places since I have been told that they are the devil!!! [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]
GulfCoast
Duck South Addict

Reviving decoy's

Postby GulfCoast » Sun Jul 22, 2001 7:06 pm

Oh yes, they are! Nothing like when you come home from a "business trip" and your wife has put a poloroid of your truck outside a strip bar on the fridge. oooops!!! REMEMBER: ALL WOMEN BELONG TO THE SAME UNION, AND ALL OF THEM SPY FOR EACH OTHER!
GC
(conspiracy victim)

Return to “General Discussion Forum”