DIE HARD DUCK HUNTER

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
gyver
Veteran

DIE HARD DUCK HUNTER

Postby gyver » Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:00 pm

i'd like to know everyones idea of a die hard duck hunter that i hear about all the time. i'm not talking about these sweet peaches that look like they'd go both ways and think their hardcore 'cause they have a godevil and dog and wear mcallister clothes and shoot bismuth or hevishot.
i'm talkin' about the one's that don't mind the grit in their drawers or blood on their hands.
here's mine:
1) puts in at least 45 days out of 60.
2} is happy with a couple of ducks as long as they weren't skyblasted.
3) will sit till at least noon if he's seeing birds and 2 if he's killing 1 occasionally.
4) is willing to make up lost work time in the evening for hunting time in the morning before going to work.
5) 30 min. boat ride in the rain and 38 deg. doesn't bother him in the least bit.
6) re-arranges the decoy's as often as needs to.
7)shares his coffee and breakfast with his dog.
8) isn't going to put up with hunting buddies that complain all the time (this sux, we haven't seen a duck in 30 min.. i'm cold. i'm wet. my coochie hurts)
9) is always thinking and trying to improve his calling, shooting, and overall hunting skills.
10) can overhaul his on shotgun in the field.
11) thinks someone like Frances Buzzacott should be a role model
ya'll add to this if i've left anything out.
west > east
stumpjumper
Veteran

Postby stumpjumper » Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:07 pm

you got me to a tee but you need to put sleeps in his truck to save motel money for gas so I can go a little futher down the road if the ducks arent were Im at right at this time :)
Wingman
Duck South Addict

Postby Wingman » Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:37 pm

If ya wanted to see a hardcore, you shoulda visited the man at Campbell White boat ramp the last 2 weeks.

He hunted Beulah 37 days straight, then moved over here for 2 weeks.

Slept in his truck with his dog; cooked the ducks that he killed everyday for food on his tailgate; moved around 4 or 5 times each morning if he had to and was dang proud to shoot bluebills, but came back with 4 mallards most everytime I saw him.

Drove from NC to hunt because he's native to SD and likes flat land and not mountains. Didn't have a real boat trailer, but a flat trailer with wooden sides and notched beams in the middle to support his V-hull boat. All of his coolers and supplies went on the trailer once he backed his boat off. His boat stayed tied up at the ramp the whole while. He wrapped his dekes in burlap so they wouldn't get banged up.

Pretty interesting fellow he was.

I'd say he was somewhat "hardcore". :wink:
ISAIAH 40:31

“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
― Franklin D. Roosevelt
BeastMaster
Duck South Addict

Postby BeastMaster » Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:59 pm

dam.... that is pretty hardcore to hunt 1 duck beulah especially for that long....

when i was still a youngin we would go campin in the ozarks and catch walley and trout... i remember an old fellow that camped weeks at a time and caught big walley... camped in the middle of no where.... i remember him asking us the day of the week... sorta like jeremiah johnson asking the month... :-D

try going a week without a shower.... sho will appreciate the comforts of home then.
And to all the beasts of the earth and all the birds of the air and all the creatures that move on the ground-everything that has the breath of life in it, they will be your food.
Spoonallard
Duck South Addict

Postby Spoonallard » Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:03 pm

Hell I will wade an hour in 19 degrees. Who needs a boat, but my dog doesn't like coffee! my brother went with Teul2 and I last weekend and said we were brutal, and it was a lite day. The wuss! Lets go get em boys!
DUX :twisted:
"Therefore, even the lover of myth is in a sense a philosopher; for myth is composed of wonders."
-- Aristotle
MUD DUK
Veteran

Postby MUD DUK » Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:37 pm

DUCK-HUNT
Duck South Addict

Postby DUCK-HUNT » Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:45 pm

Get em WET!............Their feet that is.
gyver
Veteran

Postby gyver » Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:32 pm

west > east

iron grip
Duck South Addict

Postby iron grip » Sat Jan 29, 2005 4:03 pm

At times there is not a satisfactory substitute for well-aimed lead going down range at high velocity.
-Jim Rawles

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us!
crow
Duck South Addict

Postby crow » Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:25 pm

Gman
Veteran

Postby Gman » Sat Jan 29, 2005 10:01 pm

gman - hatchie hunter
Mud
Regular

Postby Mud » Sun Jan 30, 2005 5:21 pm

Being from Mississippi with my Dad's side from Louisiana, I thought I was just doing what it took to get on the ducks from the late 70's to the late 80's; When neoprene was what surfers wore, Goretex was vision, steel shot was a threat and paint still hung to decoys.
Here is our typical hunt....
Drive my Dad's big black Cadillac as far as we could go in the Delta mud (worry about getting it out later). Our hot spot was just north of Delta National that only we could hunt (imagine that and it was free).
Haul four dozen dekes over 500yds. to the hole, gumbo mud looking like snowshoes on your Redball canvas waders, Cotton garden gloves frozen around you hands because well they just stayed wet?? Jones hat filled with greenhead tail feathers, one Yentzen 'round yo neck, one box of #5 lead, Army issue green fatigue jacket and some long johns.
Set up dekes, and stand in thigh to waist deep water against a tree for five-six hours sipping the cheapest peach brandy we could get and moving the dekes so the ice would not show.
Shoot 5-6 ducks and be happy as hell all the way back.
Find a tractor, hook the chain up and pull Dad's Caddy out.
Pull into the car wash on Hwy 61 headin' back to V'burg to wash the bottom of the car out. Clean ducks, clean up and head to the Bird's Nest to chase women. Get up a do it all again.
Heck I went duck huntin' one time with 100+ degree fever and this was during the winter of 1983-84 remember that one? Who says I bow to peer preasure, I just knew the birds were in.
I think were all still here just a little wiser, softer and been there done that.... 8)
jdbuckshot
Duck South Addict

extreme,

Postby jdbuckshot » Sun Jan 30, 2005 6:23 pm

well the way i see it

if you don't have tons of money to spend on "easy hunting" and "easy birds" then your fairly hardcore IF YOU KILL DUCKS i don't think saying you walked 4 miles with decoys on your back every weekend and still don't shoot ducks is hard core, you would just be stupid. but to walk 4 miles with decoys on your back and shoot a limit of ducks when no one else is, and when you get to the boat ramp and turn your little pink card in and your the only one with four mallards 1 grey, and 1 pintail! people get jealous, curious, or they say you cheated! NOW THATS HARDCORE, WHEN YOU SHOOT DUCKS WHEN NO ONE ELSE IS BECAUSE YOU WENT TO THE EXTREME!
"The rich ..... who are content to buy what they have not the desire to get by their own exertions, These are the real enemies of Game."
Anatidae
Duck South Addict

Postby Anatidae » Sun Jan 30, 2005 6:29 pm

Double R 2
Duck South Addict

Postby Double R 2 » Sun Jan 30, 2005 7:19 pm

Ramsey Russell's GetDucks.com® It's duck season somewhere. Full-service, full-time agency specializing in world-wide wingshooting and trophy bird hunts. Toll free 1-866-438-3897. Visit our website to view 100s of client testimonials, 1000s of photos.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”