canoe

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
lab-dog 4
Veteran

canoe

Postby lab-dog 4 » Tue Jan 18, 2005 6:56 pm

"don't let 'em take who you are boy, and don't try to be who you ain't" DBT
Hole Hunter
Duck South Addict

Postby Hole Hunter » Tue Jan 18, 2005 7:25 pm

WAR DAYUM EAGLE!!!

A True Sportsman shoots what he eats and eats what he shoots.
Anatidae
Duck South Addict

Postby Anatidae » Tue Jan 18, 2005 7:28 pm

I have a Grumman17-foot square stern (named 'Killer') that was made in 1950. It has been in my family since 1956 (that's me and my big brother heading to Lacassine Refuge to fish for brem in May of '63).

'Killer' has seen extensive duty in every body of water in Calcasieu and Cameron Parish Louisiana, the White River, the Ouachita, Tombigbee, Red, Leaf, Bowie, Chunky, Black Creek, the Atchafalaya Basin, ....you name it....'Killer's probably been there.

He's retired, now......but not because he got too old........but because 'I' did. My wife put the camo paint job on 'Killer and we hunted out of him from 1978 to 2001 without ever turning over. Lotta ducks been killed and a lotta fish and frogs 'been caught outta that boat. Daddy bought it for $50 .....I wouldn't take $1 million for it. Too many priceless memories.

Here's a photo taken in '97 with honker #2 (second one I've ever killed)

Here's a link to Grumman canoes.......look at the 15' 'Sport' boat......it would be my choice if I were to buy another such boat. http://www.marathonboat.com/canoes2.htm[/url] They may be expensive, but mine's been in service for 50 some-odd years and is tight as it was in 1950......no leaks, period!
Last edited by Anatidae on Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Tue Jan 18, 2005 7:46 pm

Here's one I bought two years ago: http://www.osage-canoes.com/index.htm

Mine is a 16 foot square stern. The exact model that I bought has what Osage refers to the "side sponson" option. Basically the hull is 'flared' out near the waterline which adds a fair amount of stability. The boat is OD green from the factory too. Weighs about 80 lbs. and I was able to manhandle it up to the roof of my Suburban by myself. (that took a little practice)

I bought it from here: http://www.alsmallboats.com/form.html

after waiting for a used aluminum square stern canoe to "come up" for sale for about three years. It never happened so I decided to buy a new one. I would recommend that you call these folks right now. The man running the place said they keep one of these in stock, but it's not a hot item. They discounted mine about $100 because they had it in their inventory for a couple of years. There may be a good chance that you could buy the next one that they replaced mine with. This place sells many high performance "white water" type canoes, but very few like the one I bought. It's probably worth a phone call.

I had originally told them I was looking for something used. I didn't tell them exactly what I was looking for. They told me the only thing they could do was discount price the square stern canoe that was sitting in their shop for a couple of years. It worked out great for both of us.

This canoe is stable. I can get in and out of it in waste deep water without too much trepidation. It does take a little getting used to though. I would highly recommend one of these as an option in your hunting arsenal. If you're in central MS and want to test drive mine after duck season, feel free to PM me.

Good luck.
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
Cotten
Veteran

Postby Cotten » Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:53 pm

lab-dog 4
Veteran

Postby lab-dog 4 » Tue Jan 18, 2005 9:11 pm

gamehog
Veteran

Postby gamehog » Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:10 am

"If you're gonna shoot the sonofabitch, you better shoot him now."
- Locked Up
Rebelducky
Regular

Postby Rebelducky » Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:03 pm

Hunt'en in a Canoe is like drinkin Coors Light...
REAL close to water!
lab-dog 4
Veteran

Postby lab-dog 4 » Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:16 pm

i'm a coors original man and don't really need a big boat rite now. like to fish and hunt and just need someting easy to handle
Hole Hunter
Duck South Addict

Postby Hole Hunter » Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:20 pm

WAR DAYUM EAGLE!!!

A True Sportsman shoots what he eats and eats what he shoots.
Rebelducky
Regular

Postby Rebelducky » Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:22 pm

lab-dog 4
Veteran

Postby lab-dog 4 » Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:28 pm

thanks for all the info, lab-dog

Return to “General Discussion Forum”