How to I deal with DUCKWEED?

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
pondman
Duck South Addict

Postby pondman » Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:35 am

BR549,

Roundup is a systemic herbicide meaining it has to be taken into the plant to kill. Reward is a contact killer. All it has to do is stay in contact with the plant for a short period of time and it will kill.

I'm no saying it won't work but I have never killed floating duckweed nor do I know of anyone who has successfully treated it with Roundup. Also, Roundup is illegal to spray in an aquatic environment.

Pondman
"That's the one trouble with this country: everything, weather, all, hangs on to long. Like our rivers, our land: opaque, slow, violent; shaping and creating the life of man in its implacable and brooding image." William Faulkner
tunica
Duck South Addict

Postby tunica » Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:01 pm

pondman
Duck South Addict

Postby pondman » Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:06 pm

"That's the one trouble with this country: everything, weather, all, hangs on to long. Like our rivers, our land: opaque, slow, violent; shaping and creating the life of man in its implacable and brooding image." William Faulkner
Benelli 12GA
Regular

Postby Benelli 12GA » Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:09 pm

Had Enuf
Veteran

Postby Had Enuf » Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:19 pm

BR549
Duck South Addict

Postby BR549 » Fri Jan 21, 2005 4:49 pm

You are right pondman about being a systemic herbicide. But when you spray it directly on the stuff it works like a contact kill. Like I said don't know about the regulations on it but I know it will work! Been there, Done that! It will take the oxygen out of the water if you try to kill to much to quick though and you know what that could lead to if there are any fish in there!
h2o_dog
Duck South Addict

Postby h2o_dog » Fri Jan 21, 2005 4:56 pm

BR549,
Where you had success...was it in a contained area (ie catfish pond)? or open - like a 2000 acre bayou?

My problem is: if I kill the 2-3 acres around my hole, the 997 acres of duckweed floating next door will just blow right on in...
-H2O_Dog
"Simplicity is the ultimate form of sophistication" -Leonardo DaVinci
Trugrit Dixie Pistol MH 1988-1999
Trugrit Tallahatchie Tarzan MH 1995-2006
Glen Livet
Veteran

Postby Glen Livet » Mon Jan 24, 2005 12:02 pm

Pondman, you know your stuff.

Sonar is better than Reward on duckweed, but Reward is a broader spectrum chemical. You will have to treat the entire water with Sonar, not just the surface area like Reward.

Most folks apply Sonar and Reward Late Summer to Early Fall. It ain't going to do you squat now.

The chemicals are available at most coops. If they don't carry it they can order it from a distributor.

The problem I've seen people have is trying to treat one spot out of a huge brake. The wind might blow more duck weed into the spot, and they can't afford treating an entire brake.

Good luck.
Hole Hunter
Duck South Addict

Postby Hole Hunter » Mon Jan 24, 2005 12:42 pm

Pondman,
We have a tupelo gum brake with a serious pennywort and duckweed problem. It seems that the pennywort thrives in the more open hole areas. Does it seem to prosper in open water or is this just a coinsidence?
Secondly, one of the guys in the group had the idea of making a barrier around our holes with black corrigated pipe used in landscaping. We have not tried it yet but, seeing how it floats on top of the water as would the pipe their is a chance that this could keep our holes duck weed free. Your thoughts.....
WAR DAYUM EAGLE!!!

A True Sportsman shoots what he eats and eats what he shoots.
cajun squealer
Duck South Addict

Postby cajun squealer » Mon Jan 24, 2005 1:09 pm

Hole Hunter,
The barrier idea seem to be the best approach in regards to managing free-floating vegetation, ie.duckweed, in isolated areas. Herbicide treatments will still be necessary, but your chemical cost will be must less as you will be treating an enclosed area with minimal intrusion from outside vegetation.
As for the water pennywort, that is some tough stuff! I've seen it survive iced-up conditions. Treat it with an aquaticly approved glyphosate (active ingredient in Round-Up) based chemical and a non-ionic surfactant on hot, sunny days during the growing season for best results. Follow-up treatment are likely. Its presence in more open water conditions is most likely caused by the amount of sunlight available to it. Shaded areas will reduce the plants level of photosynthesis, thus decreasing its potential for growth.
If you opt to use the barrier approach, keep me posted on the results.
Good luck!
pondman
Duck South Addict

Postby pondman » Mon Jan 24, 2005 1:12 pm

Hole hunter,

As long as that war eagle has nothing to do with auburn community college I'll be glad to try and help you out. :lol:

With regard to the pennywort I can't give you a hard and fast scientific based answer; however, I can throw some bubba reasoning on it and say the pennywort was more abundant in the open areas because you were getting more light pentration through the canopy. Glyphosate, the active ingredient in Roundup will kill the heck out of pennywort. But remember in aqautic environments you must use an aquatically approved herbicide like Rodeo.

Regarding the duckweed, the corrugated pipe sounds like a great idea. As mentioned earlier you can't just treat a small area of duckweed. The remaining duckweed will fill where the old was killed.

Good luck, hope it helps and let me know how the pipe works. Good idea.

Pondman
Hole Hunter
Duck South Addict

Postby Hole Hunter » Mon Jan 24, 2005 1:41 pm

We have treated the pennywort with the Glyphosate. More than likely it will take a few more treatments and a couple of run throughs with the boat motor.
I am eager to get started on the corrugated pipe project but, will likely be a next season undertaking. Can't take any credit for the idea but, sure sounds like a good attempt to keep that duck weed out. Will definitely keep everyone posted, it sounds like a popular problem this year.
Thanks for the help across college enemy lines....
WAR DAYUM EAGLE!!!

h2o_dog
Duck South Addict

Postby h2o_dog » Mon Jan 24, 2005 2:07 pm

Does that plastic corrugated pipe float? I had been pondering stringing together a bunch of sections of foam pipe insulation, but I hadn't gotten around to actually trying that yet. The corrugated pipe would definitely be the better solution if it floats and isn't too expensive.
Thanks.
-H2O_Dog
"Simplicity is the ultimate form of sophistication" -Leonardo DaVinci
Trugrit Dixie Pistol MH 1988-1999
Trugrit Tallahatchie Tarzan MH 1995-2006
Hole Hunter
Duck South Addict

Postby Hole Hunter » Mon Jan 24, 2005 2:25 pm

WAR DAYUM EAGLE!!!

pondman
Duck South Addict

Postby pondman » Mon Jan 24, 2005 2:39 pm

Return to “General Discussion Forum”