shooting hens ?

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
steel shot
Veteran

shooting hens ?

Postby steel shot » Mon Dec 10, 2001 9:40 am

Who does and who doesent??I find it hard to let a hen go when im only seeing a few birds.What kind of effect does it have on the population,help me out with some info..
CB
Veteran

shooting hens ?

Postby CB » Mon Dec 10, 2001 9:44 am

Don't do it!!!! Sure you shoot one every now and then by accident but I only try to shoot Greenheads. I had rather go home empty handed than with a limit of susie's.
CB [img]images/smiles/icon_eek.gif[/img]
damnyankee
Veteran

shooting hens ?

Postby damnyankee » Mon Dec 10, 2001 9:57 am

Sometimes yes sometimes no, I try not to shoot too many.
How do shoot one by accident?
I did shoot a half and half this weekend in AR. First one I ever shot that was so perfect in both ways. Big green head, big hen chest.
feedcall
Duck South Addict

shooting hens ?

Postby feedcall » Mon Dec 10, 2001 10:28 am

Actually, one of the most common crossbreeds is a mallard, black duck. Look closely at the hen part and see if the feathers are dark colored similar to a black duck then you have yourself a crossbreed. I killed one about ten years ago. I didn't get it mounted, wish I would have, but I have a lot of pictures of it. Anyway I took it to the Ms game and fish and that is what they told me. Mount it if you can. I don't miss very many days of the season, haven't for a lot of years, and I have only seen one.
Bigpoppa
Duck South Addict

shooting hens ?

Postby Bigpoppa » Mon Dec 10, 2001 8:33 pm

Hey steel shot,
You know how i feel.If the feds think its ok, so be it. If given the oportunity I will take a Drake over a hen but dont let a lone hen come in on a slow morning. If the ducks are flying well and the shooting is good go for the green heads, other wise make yourself happy. This sport is way to expensive to not be productive even if it includes a hen or 2.I will get some flack, but if they dont want you to shoot hens they should make it illegal.
mwtrip

shooting hens ?

Postby mwtrip » Mon Dec 10, 2001 8:45 pm

I agree with Xpress, 100%, as a rule, no, but don't let a lone hen on a slow day float in or be the deciding factor in a limit.
MSDuckmen
Duck South Addict

shooting hens ?

Postby MSDuckmen » Mon Dec 10, 2001 8:46 pm

Never have let a slow morning draw me into shooting a hen, Most of you boys know my stand on it so I want bore you with it again.

It's a personal thing and I do what I personally feel is right and let them fly.
damnyankee
Veteran

shooting hens ?

Postby damnyankee » Mon Dec 10, 2001 8:51 pm

The only hen part was the belly. When I shot it I knew it was a drake. As I watched the dog run out to I realized it was a hen, I had no idea how I confused them since I saw a greenhead.
Anyway dog brought back a green head that was perfect in everyway but for the belly which was pure mallard hen.
Greenhead22
Duck South Addict

shooting hens ?

Postby Greenhead22 » Mon Dec 10, 2001 9:00 pm

If she has jewelry on her foot, I'll shoot her, otherwise I won't.

[ December 10, 2001: Message edited by: Greenhead22 ]
GulfCoast
Duck South Addict

shooting hens ?

Postby GulfCoast » Mon Dec 10, 2001 10:33 pm

On a species of ducks where it is easy to pick out the hens, I let them go, i.e. mallards, woodies, widgeon and so forth. I can tell the difference in flight between mottleds, grayducks and hen mallards MOST of the time, but occasionally goof. Now, on ducks where I CAN'T easily tell the difference between drakes and hens, like in a big group of grayducks or mottled ducks, I just kill 'em and let the good Lord sort those out. I am getting to where I can sort of tell the difference in sex for grayducks if they are REAL close, but no way on mottled ducks.
Bigpoppa
Duck South Addict

shooting hens ?

Postby Bigpoppa » Mon Dec 10, 2001 10:52 pm

They have spent a lifetime researching the age old question about shooting hens. They have incorporated all the data into the limit. The feds. and all the agencies that are resposible for the data cosider 2 hens per day to be ok. I think they probably know best.
What amazes me is no matter how many times this question comes up you will get a line of garbage from someone.
Heres one better for you...A lot of the people who think it is outrageous to shoot hens will do the tag team limit thing everyday they hunt. I am not saying I have a huge problem with people doing this but it is an illegal act. Killing hens is a legal act and tag team limits are not. Before we start questioning data that took millions of our dollars to compile lets eliminate illegal acts first.
Johnboy114
Veteran

shooting hens ?

Postby Johnboy114 » Mon Dec 10, 2001 11:55 pm

Those of you that will not shoot a hen and also deer hunt; do you shoot does? just curious.
Matt

[ December 10, 2001: Message edited by: Johnboy114 ]
MSDuckmen
Duck South Addict

shooting hens ?

Postby MSDuckmen » Tue Dec 11, 2001 12:02 am

MSDuckmen
Duck South Addict

shooting hens ?

Postby MSDuckmen » Tue Dec 11, 2001 12:16 am

magnum
Veteran

shooting hens ?

Postby magnum » Tue Dec 11, 2001 12:35 am

"And I said I wasn't going to get into this again but when someone thumbs their nose at those of us that hunt on a higher level than they do and justify it using the same logic the flyway councel stopped our 9 days from coming back it just make ya want to voice your opinion all over again."

Posted by Duckmen-

So you are on a higher level? Come on man- get off your high horse.

MAG

[ December 11, 2001: Message edited by: magnum ]

Return to “General Discussion Forum”