Equity Club Memberships

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
skywalker
Duck South Addict

Equity Club Memberships

Postby skywalker » Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:43 pm

Anyone been part of or have any knowledge on how these work? From what I gather, you 'own' an interest or shares in a company which the land is under or leased to. Thoughts/feedback?
teul2
Duck South Addict

Re: Equity Club Memberships

Postby teul2 » Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:03 am

That is my understanding also. And you still pay yearly dues to maintain the land.
Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
missed mallards
Duck South Addict

Postby missed mallards » Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:27 am

You are correct.

You buy a % interest in club and pay yearly dues (depending on club).

Most clubs have to vote you in to purchase a spot. Same for when you sell it, it has to be voted on.

In the mean time of ownership you get access to property and pay yearly dues to enjoy it. Just like anything in life, they’re political, which I’m sure you knew. Great way to access some great land at a fraction of cost for the amount of acres you’re able to access.
If I don't do it, I ain't gettin nun.......So i'm doing it
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Thu Oct 27, 2022 8:00 am

I'll add that, depending on the club, how the property / amenities are managed, the location, and other factors, the shares you own could and probably should increase in value.
Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
JLT
Veteran

Postby JLT » Fri Oct 28, 2022 6:47 am

I bought into one in 2001 and sold out in 2010. I built a 2500sf camp(pre family) and we suffered through a 10 year easement lawsuit with the adjoining landowners that was absolutely senseless. With all of that said I thoroughly enjoyed it and when I sold it I made enough that I felt like I had a camp for 10 years that didn't cost me a dime and actually allowed me to put a little cash in my pocket in the end.
I will tell you that no matter how good the hunting is, if you are in with the wrong group of people it can be miserable. Make sure to check and re-check all of the members background and get to know them as best you can before buying in!!!!
skywalker
Duck South Addict

Postby skywalker » Fri Oct 28, 2022 6:38 pm

So million dollar question: equity club or just try to find a lease to join with some fellas? Mainly for me and my son (16 yr old).
JLT
Veteran

Postby JLT » Sat Oct 29, 2022 6:25 am

That’s a rent vs own question. I always wanna own if possible. I think equity clubs can be a tremendous value especially for people that live in town. We live on our own property in the country and couldn’t feasibly take care of both. If not for that I’d likely still be in one.
NyssaAquatica
Veteran

Postby NyssaAquatica » Sun Oct 30, 2022 9:52 pm

Everything depends on the membership and culture of the prospective club. Are there solid bylaws that everyone faithfully follows? Or are there a few "chiefs" that run it like they own the whole operation?

If I was buying an equity share, I'd stay away from the 30+ member river clubs. Just don't want to deal with that many people and constant flooding every year.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”